I've been using the new playbook bluetooth keyboard for about an hour, and absolutely LOVE it! (at my door from staples when i got home)

Wrote a few paragraphs for a work related piece and sent it in - took all of five minutes to get as quick on this keyboard as on my laptop.

THEN - took the Playbook out of the fabulous keyboard case, connected it to my 54" LG, and viola! My Apple TV replacement - lovin the web surfing, youtube, app access on the large HD screen - all managed 15' away using the keyboard.

Can't say enough - just love it. (having been a two generation iphone owner, first generation ipad owner and second generation itv owner - i now use nothing but the playbook, and i'm using it more and more in my day....)

Written on my Playbook, using the new BT keyboard 15' away, using my flatscreen as my display. Awesome.

(no special keys used to post the emoticon for fear of libel....)
    03-22-12 08:36 PM
    Yes it definitely has added an extra dimension to the playbook. Its a complete workhorse now. Though the keyboard does take a while to get used to. It does become as effective as an actual keyboard (as long as your hands arent massive).

Its a ultra-portable netbook now with touch sensitivity. I rdp into my amazon cloud ec2 server and do anything a laptop can do. This keyboard is an absolute must!!!
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    03-22-12 10:31 PM
    Yeah im still getting usex to the keyboard but its to be expected, and it definitely is really handy. Great functionality as well as the integrated keyboard shortcuts..

What do you guys do when you want to use just the playbook though? Like if you wanna just quickly flip the case around, the keyboard would be on the backside making it uncomfortable to use. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to the new configuration. Its also slightly heavier than I thought it would be but it definitely doesn't bother me.
    03-23-12 01:20 AM
    im getting more and more sold on one of these every thread that starts. lol.

dammit.

what are the "keyboard shortcuts" available? are they programmable?
    03-23-12 01:29 AM
    I would use my PB more on my TV if just for one app... Netflix.

For now I use my BD player but the Sony java app on my player (BDP-S770) otherwise, it's my PS3. I have the old school Apple TV and there is no external app support for it.

Using the mini HDMI on my PlayBook and having a fast touch response with a Native client for Netflix would be nice.
    03-23-12 01:30 AM
    im getting more and more sold on one of these every thread that starts. lol.

dammit.

what are the "keyboard shortcuts" available? are they programmable?
    Check out the manual for the mini keyboard on the blackberry website here: BlackBerry PlayBook tablet - Manuals and Guides

Has all the info you need on how it works and about keyboard shortcuts, and plenty of other things.

-Written from the mini keyboard
    balding1 likes this.
    03-23-12 12:53 PM
    is the keyboard available in the us?
    03-23-12 01:40 PM
    I also have found the keyboard a great addition to the already quite functional playbook. It is great to have the option to use it. I just question the decision to put the power button right where the elastic band goes Somebody wasn't firing on all cylinders that day. Were I to design the case I would like have used a similar retention method as used to keep the playbook in place and placed the power button on the face of the keyboard near the F keys.

I am very glad they released this accessory.
    bbaker1 likes this.
    03-23-12 01:52 PM
    Can you pinch and zoom using the touchpad?
    03-23-12 01:53 PM
    DID SOMEBODY SAY KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS?!

What are they? And where are they used?
    Is it like "b" to launch browser?
    03-23-12 01:58 PM
    You're doing a great job at tempting me, but I'm just not going to buy a BT keyboard at that ridiculous a price.
    03-23-12 04:14 PM
    The shortcuts are mostly for docs to go. Adds a lot of efficiency. Check out my previous post, everything is stated in the manual...
    03-23-12 04:19 PM
    Any 1 using this with HD splashtop?
    If so how to you get the touchpad pointer to override the touchscreen 1.
    Get 2 pointers on screen and only the touchscreen 1 works the touchpad 1 works but doesn't control anything.
    03-23-12 04:47 PM
    I watched a video of "Jim" from Blackberry using the keyboard. The only key he touched on the keyboard was ctrl to pair the keyboard to his playbook. All he did was use the "mouse pad". i dont know, i have a 9800 so i see no value in a keyboard, unless you want to haul around 2 playbook size gadgets.
    03-23-12 08:05 PM
    Yes it definitely has added an extra dimension to the playbook. Its a complete workhorse now. Though the keyboard does take a while to get used to. It does become as effective as an actual keyboard (as long as your hands arent massive).

Its a ultra-portable netbook now with touch sensitivity. I rdp into my amazon cloud ec2 server and do anything a laptop can do. This keyboard is an absolute must!!!
    is bridging working when playbook is connected to the keyboard
    Smilyniiiz likes this.
    03-23-12 08:57 PM
    is bridging working when playbook is connected to the keyboard
    It should work. I have my Motorola xoom keyboard paired with my BlackBerry 9670 all the time
    03-23-12 10:20 PM
    I ordered from shopblackberry and had mine delivered from holland today via gls / parcelforce. Its pretty good so far. I have 2 gripes however-and ive only been using it for 30mins!

Firstly 2 finger scroll is a bit erratic.

Secondly, the trackpad doesnt work with splashtop.

These aside, its working really well. Sent off 3 long emails and it was massively easier than the on screen keyboard.
    03-28-12 10:52 AM
    Can you pinch and zoom using the touchpad?
    It doesn't appear so.

By the way, for those places where two-finger scrolling doesn't work, people should check to see if the tap-tap-drag gesture works instead.

The description of it in the manual is, in my opinion, very poor, but after about five minutes of experimenting in the Pictures app I was finally able to get it to work reliably. (I believe it works there except when you have the "media controls" overlay on top of the picture, where you can tap the triangle buttons to move left or right instead.)

Anyway, if you practice there first to figure out how it works, then try it in the other app (e.g. Splashtop) and see if that maybe works instead.
    03-28-12 11:02 AM
    You're doing a great job at tempting me, but I'm just not going to buy a BT keyboard at that ridiculous a price.
    Mine is pre-ordered, only like 5 people got one. Can't wait for mine!!!
    03-28-12 11:11 AM
    I'm sure it works great, but at 100$ it's getting close to the price of a netbook with Windows, MSOffice and tons of productivity apps.

On the other hand there are few apps on pb that would justify me doing consistent typing with them. Maybe if I didn't have a laptop, maybe... but I can't imagine many executives accepting to travel with the pb only - in it's present state - as a laptop replacement.

So, for the moment I am content with the touch keyboard... and I'll do serious work on my 1k more reliable and 1k more features-rich laptop.
    Last edited by Bakamushi; 03-28-12 at 11:35 AM.
    03-28-12 11:32 AM
    Got mine delivered to The Source here in Edmonton yesterday...

Initial impressions:

Well made, both the keyboard and case. Thin but solid, not bendy at all. Nice.
    Bluetooth hookup easy on both my PB's, search for BT deviced on PB, turn on keyboard and hold CTRL/Bluetooth key, found and connected. Autoconnects fine as well.

Keyboard works well, have to get used to shifted typing position as there are no keys left of the 'A' so your hand position is left of centre. Trackpad works well too, scroll to edge of screen and the arrow changes to a ][ cursor, tap to slide pages or bring up/down menus.

Cursor screen tracking is slow, however. takes many swipes to get the arrow all the way across the screen... wish I could change that. The remote swipe from my Torch is much more sensitive, I can cross the screen in 1 swipe. However, 2 finger scrolling is erratic and almost frantic... works on home screens and within apps, but woah nelly, she's too sensitive! Tapping the keyboard wakes up the PB, also nice.

Not a fan of the case, however. Plastic angle prop folds shut with little provocation, Playbook thuds backwards onto desk. Only 1 viewing angle as well...

Playbook is popped into continuous plasticy/rubber border, which holds it great... almost too great, as I have to pry it loose to pop it on the rapidcharger dock. Having the top volume controls and power button covered by plastic raised covers is a nice touoch, and makes the elusive power button easier to manage. Access to the charge port and HDMI port only works with the PB folded open on it's back, you can't reverse the PB in the holder because of the aforementioned rubber encasing sleeve... no holes!

Oh, and the elastic corner straps for the keyboard cover the power slider!

Folded shut, Keyboard and PB in the case are a helfy little bundle. Not killer to carry, but similar to a medium size hardcover book. Maybe a little heavier.

One other thing... I was using the calculator this morning, and the number keys on the keyboard don't function in that app... hopefully updates will fix that.

For now, I'm bck to my Targus Tri-fold case and propping the keyboard in front of it... works fine and I can offset the keyboard so my typing position centers up. The detents on the F and J keys work well for home row positioning (yup, Typing 10 in high school, all those years ago).

Rating: Keyboard **** (of 5, fix the scrolling and it gets another *)
    Case ** needs improvement.

*this message batted out from the Keyboard with minimal corrections.

Cheers,
    03-28-12 11:53 AM
    Any 1 using this with HD splashtop?
    If so how to you get the touchpad pointer to override the touchscreen 1.
    Get 2 pointers on screen and only the touchscreen 1 works the touchpad 1 works but doesn't control anything.
    I am having the same problem
    03-28-12 12:02 PM
    I've been using the new playbook bluetooth keyboard for about an hour, and absolutely LOVE it! (at my door from staples when i got home)

Wrote a few paragraphs for a work related piece and sent it in - took all of five minutes to get as quick on this keyboard as on my laptop.

THEN - took the Playbook out of the fabulous keyboard case, connected it to my 54" LG, and viola! My Apple TV replacement - lovin the web surfing, youtube, app access on the large HD screen - all managed 15' away using the keyboard.

Can't say enough - just love it. (having been a two generation iphone owner, first generation ipad owner and second generation itv owner - i now use nothing but the playbook, and i'm using it more and more in my day....)

Written on my Playbook, using the new BT keyboard 15' away, using my flatscreen as my display. Awesome.

(no special keys used to post the emoticon for fear of libel....)
    BT mouse, much cheaper.
    03-28-12 01:44 PM
    Have to agree. Plus, I don't like track pads anyway (I disable them on notebook computers). Found this on Amazon for a much lower price.
    03-28-12 01:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD