That's definitely what I would call not the norm. It sure would be nice to find the commonality in the PBs with this power behavior, if any. I've only personally seen one like this, about 13% in the same time period. Do you have BG installed? I'm curious as to what the graph shows during your standby.
    03-16-12 10:15 AM
    If you turn on airplane mode (option, airplane mode) before putting in stand by the playbook will use very little power. To resume use just swipe, tap the airline at the top right and turn it to off. You are back in business. Without having to wait for the playbook to restart.
    Normally, I charge it up in the evening and noticed it was down to 97% by morning (not bad). So I tried the airplane mode last night. The PB was at 100% when I switched to airplane mode. This morning it was at 65%! Hmmmm

Not sure how to explain that.
    03-16-12 10:37 AM
    Normally, I charge it up in the evening and noticed it was down to 97% by morning (not bad). So I tried the airplane mode last night. The PB was at 100% when I switched to airplane mode. This morning it was at 65%! Hmmmm

Not sure how to explain that.
    Wowser! That would definatly kill the who use airplane mode to save power. Interesting!
    03-16-12 10:41 AM
    Okay, what kind of experimental protocol shall we engage in to test what might be happening.
    For starters, I'm going to stop hijacking this nice thread with some off-topic discussion (sorry szparaj!).

I've added a poll to collect basic statistics on this: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tandby-709678/

Let's focus discussion there on the remaining standby power consumption issue, where some devices appear inherently to use about 12% overnight while many are capable of using only about 4% apparently under the same conditions.

(Unrelated: hibernation most definitely does NOT use any more power than being powered off... because the device is completely powered off when it's hibernated. The point is a full image of the RAM is written to hard drive, preserving the system "state", and then it powers off completely, with only the same 32kHz crystal clock running or whatever else is always active when powered off normally.)
    03-16-12 10:47 AM
    For starters, I'm going to stop hijacking this nice thread with some off-topic discussion (sorry szparaj!).

I've added a poll to collect basic statistics on this: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tandby-709678/

Let's focus discussion there on the remaining standby power consumption issue, where some devices appear inherently to use about 12% overnight while many are capable of using only about 4% apparently under the same conditions.

(Unrelated: hibernation most definitely does NOT use any more power than being powered off... because the device is completely powered off when it's hibernated. The point is a full image of the RAM is written to hard drive, preserving the system "state", and then it powers off completely, with only the same 32kHz crystal clock running or whatever else is always active when powered off normally.)
    LOL I forgive you
    03-16-12 02:42 PM
    key words here are least amount of power meaning its still using power..

link to quote http://windows.microsoft.com
    Windows hibernation does not use power.
    When you shut down using hibernation the data in RAM is written to the hard drive. When you turn the computer back on it writes the previously saved hard drive data back to RAM and resumes to the state Windows was in before you shut down.
    This is a somewhat simplified explanation but enough to show why no power is used during hibernation.
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-16-12 02:51 PM
    My Real world experience. I took my playbook off rapid charger at 6:00 am put it in standby mode. Four times today I used it for 5-10 minutes at a time. Each time put it standby mode when done. It is 4:20 pm and I just opened it and it is at 96%. Today I didn't put it in airplane mode to see what happens. Standby works for me.
    03-16-12 03:22 PM
    I haven't read the entire thread, but I am sure somebody else has already posted this.

I put my PB into the flight mode when in prolonged standby. It uses only a trivial amount of power in that state. about 2-3% overnight, which is almost as much as you would waste rebooting anyway.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 03-16-12 at 03:30 PM.
    Hgouck likes this.
    03-16-12 03:26 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD