At first I was really excited about the playbook...
    The first time I heard about it, I thought a dream came true...

But now, months after the first rumors...

I'm thinking: "Whats sooooo special about having a NORMAL webbrowser (with flash) in 2011?!"
    I mean it's a decent device - but not a technical wonder...

Every Android is able to show "real" web experience with Flash 10.1.
    If thats all RIM can deliver to 2011, I will be really sad...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-11 07:42 PM
    So get the android, honeynut cherio.

BlackStormRising likes this.
    01-05-11 08:58 PM

I wouldn't be too surprised if a lot of people do. Tethering to a BB doesn't sound like enough of a differentiation between other devices.
    01-05-11 09:58 PM
    I think the initial excitement was because the hardware was fabulous compared to the tablets released in 2010.

Then most people realized the hardware is actually going to be run-of-the-mill this year.
    01-05-11 10:07 PM
    I think the initial excitement was due to the fact that RIM hadn't showed any GOOD hardware since the trackpad implementation (9700).
    Cleveland and howarmat like this.
    01-05-11 10:11 PM
    I think the initial excitement was due to the fact that RIM hadn't showed any GOOD hardware since the trackpad implementation (9700).

LOL I think there are a lot of BB users who would agree with you on that
    01-06-11 02:00 AM
    New hands on video from CES looks pretty sweet...
    BlackBerry PlayBook Review | CrackBerry.com
    01-06-11 03:02 AM

Don�t get me wrong with my statement!
    I`m still a bb fan - and I ever will be!

Probably I also will buy the playbook, because it�s a great addition to my
    device - but thats all...

I mean, if my bb had a flash player - I wouldn�t been thinking of buying the playbook.

And I don�t really want to switch to Android.
    01-06-11 04:45 AM

I'm thinking: "Whats sooooo special about having a NORMAL webbrowser (with flash) in 2011?!"

I'm very different,
    When it was first released I was excited about RIM releasing something new, and I wanted it

The more peaks, and thinking, the more I want it,
    I love the idea that is syncs to my BB, pulling my emails, BBM, calendar of which every BB I have connected I can very much see myself getting a water proof case for it and keeping it at the side of the hot tub, never would do that with my BB, because I'd be lost if it went down while I'm on the road, but an accessory to it, I'd be upset, but would survive.

hardware doesn't get me as excited now as it did when I was in University, I'm not geeking it out with other Engineers seeing who can get to 1Ghz first with Overlocking, then 2Ghz, the significant improvements seen from chasing that next milestone are gone, and I see that with my mobile phones. wow I feel old as I type that... anyhoooo, I'm going to like the larger screen for reading emails and viewing my week in advance no more burning my thighs with the laptop and no more hearing fans buzzing, it will be nice.
    01-06-11 05:21 AM
    I think it shows RIM is making an effort, and a darn good one. This is going to open the door to qnx os phones which is very exciting.

I guess I am just very loyal to BB, or maybe I'm just pleased with the 1ghz processor because I think it will be more than ample.

It also looks better aesthetically to me. Throw in the data via BB tether and the ability to finally port over some iphone/android faves (ex angry birds) and I think its great for us who love everything about RIM since their first Berry.

On a side note, the game like apps aren't a draw for me but the idea is kind of like mixing business with pleasure and we all know that could be a game changer.

01-06-11 05:35 AM
    I know I am keen for one.
    01-06-11 06:46 AM

same here. when I first heard and saw the Playbook, I wanted to be the first to stand in line for one. Now as of today I can care less if I hear anything about the Playbook as it seems already really outdated compared to its competition.
    01-06-11 06:53 AM
    I wouldn't be too surprised if a lot of people do. Tethering to a BB doesn't sound like enough of a differentiation between other devices.
    To me, that is a huge differentiation. If I didn't feel that way, I would have an iPad right now (short of the WAF on price). But with the PB, I can use it wirelessly AND tethered to my existing BB. That is some darn good flexibility to me.

It's like a comment Kevin made in one of the review posts....the iPad sits around his house a lot. He's already got PCs around the house. And the iPad is too big to easily carry around everywhere he goes. But the PB will fit in a coat pocket, and will be quite portable.

I envision being at work, leaving my Bold holstered or in a pocket, with the PlayBook on my desk.

I just need to work the WAF NOW for the funds.

Anyone want to buy issues 1-60 of StarTrek TNG comics and Spawn 1-16?
    01-06-11 06:59 AM
    same here. when I first heard and saw the Playbook, I wanted to be the first to stand in line for one. Now as of today I can care less if I hear anything about the Playbook as it seems already really outdated compared to its competition.
    But the camera rear and front is better than the Galaxy tab (given it has been out a while) and I've felt the Galaxy tab and it didn't feel like a quality build (just like their phones)

You are all making it sound like you wish RIM should not even release it cause its not spec-heavy like the ipad2 MIGHT be.

Tether data is a win for me, and we won't really know until we see what QNX can really do, especially once its been out for a few months.

01-06-11 07:24 AM
    It will be interesting to see if the carriers require a tethering plan to be able to tether the playbook. Presumably they will but if not then it could be a big win I reckon...
    01-06-11 07:54 AM
    It will be interesting to see if the carriers require a tethering plan to be able to tether the playbook. Presumably they will but if not then it could be a big win I reckon...
    O2-UK. Already charging �7.50/mth (with 17.5% VAT, now gone up to 20% VAT) tethering plan with a valid BlackBerry plan (starting at �15.38/mth with 20% VAT, it was �15/mth at 17.5% VAT).
    01-06-11 08:57 AM
    But the camera rear and front is better than the Galaxy tab (given it has been out a while) and I've felt the Galaxy tab and it didn't feel like a quality build (just like their phones)

You are all making it sound like you wish RIM should not even release it cause its not spec-heavy like the ipad2 MIGHT be.

Galaxy S devices are made of plastic.

Over the next 6 months, the high-end tablets will be about the same as the PlayBook. I think the PlayBook could hold its own against the Motorola Xoom and iPad 2 for an entire year after its official release. Where can you go from here (in general)? NFC, better cameras, more RAM/ROM, faster processor, high screen res. That's a nice improvement, but the original PlayBook will suffice by the time those things are normal.
    Last edited by CASH; 01-06-11 at 09:36 AM.
    01-06-11 09:23 AM
    It will do well, it is a big win for BB and eventually QNX will change the face of how our smartphones are run.

This is a step in the right direction...just always going to have naysayers....just how it is.

Just hoping they don't charge for tethering...heard 15 bucks from TMobile...don't know if it is true, if so...might be a deal breaker for me.

01-06-11 11:25 PM

I am doing just that. Thank you for the suggestion.

Cya RIM.
    01-07-11 12:06 AM
    I am doing just that. Thank you for the suggestion.

Cya RIM.
    Bye and we will see you once you get that upgrade for a qnx BB. You're handle is quite fitting

01-07-11 01:18 AM
    Galaxy S devices are made of plastic.

Over the next 6 months, the high-end tablets will be about the same as the PlayBook. I think the PlayBook could hold its own against the Motorola Xoom and iPad 2 for an entire year after its official release. Where can you go from here (in general)? NFC, better cameras, more RAM/ROM, faster processor, high screen res. That's a nice improvement, but the original PlayBook will suffice by the time those things are normal.
    Exactly, and how fast do they need to get? In 5 years are we going to see 5ghz processors? I think at some point the horsepower behind a device will be much more than necessary.

01-07-11 01:20 AM

Tether data is a win for me, and we won't really know until we see what QNX can really do, especially once its been out for a few months.

Evan--why is tether data a win for you? As someone who will buy his own device to use both personally and professionally, I am trying to figure out how not having the data on the device is good. Any help is appreciated.

Evan
    01-07-11 08:15 AM
    To me, that is a huge differentiation. If I didn't feel that way, I would have an iPad right now (short of the WAF on price). But with the PB, I can use it wirelessly AND tethered to my existing BB. That is some darn good flexibility to me.

It's like a comment Kevin made in one of the review posts....the iPad sits around his house a lot. He's already got PCs around the house. And the iPad is too big to easily carry around everywhere he goes. But the PB will fit in a coat pocket, and will be quite portable.

I envision being at work, leaving my Bold holstered or in a pocket, with the PlayBook on my desk.

I just need to work the WAF NOW for the funds.

Anyone want to buy issues 1-60 of StarTrek TNG comics and Spawn 1-16?
    I think your concept is good. The thing that i struggle with is that for the PB to function fully, for now it has to be tethered to a bb. i am most concerned that the email/contacts/calendar is not on the device. makes it so that it cant be my primary device due to having to connect to the bb. i wonder if this will change when a 3g/4g version is released.
    01-07-11 08:17 AM
    Don�t get me wrong with my statement!
    I`m still a bb fan - and I ever will be!

Probably I also will buy the playbook, because it�s a great addition to my
    device - but thats all...

I mean, if my bb had a flash player - I wouldn�t been thinking of buying the playbook.

And I don�t really want to switch to Android.
    I suspect once you get a look at all the 4 to 4.3" screens that will proliferate in the next few months, even Flash on a BB will feel inadequate. My silly (because I know it won't happen) wish list for a Storm 3 includes that it have a 4+" screen. I doubt that's happenin', so I'm quite sure I'll be moving to an Android this spring.
    01-07-11 08:36 AM
    Agreed...

My issue is that you keep seeing all this stuff about it on the 'net, forums, and sites about the Playbook but it's just like, would you freakin' release the thing already! If they keep delaying it, they had better think about better internals for it since other companies will just be bringing newer technologies to the table this year.

It's just my opinion though.
    01-07-11 09:26 AM
179 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD