Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By owan-one
  • 1 Post By Wongsky
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Playbook Mini Keyboard

I've bought recently a minikeyboard for playbook in the Crackberry shop. I live in Italy and here they are not available at the moment. The price in the BBerry on-line shop in Italy is 90,00 euros (116,00 usd) including delivery fees. Still the keyboard is not yet available.
    I bought it for 119,00 usd plus 36,95 usd delivery fees and 25,00 more usd for import taxes. So it wasn't a cheap item but as a BBerry fan I had to have it.
    The keyboard plays quite fine and it took a short time to get to know all functions. I was happy ......but......... the accent key works so bad. In the English language there are not any accents virtually but a lot in Latin languages so it is a must for an Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French etc. After this bad experience I searched on-line wondering if any other experienced the same problem and I found two comments in Crackberry of two guys who returned the Key board for a malfunction in the accent key.
    The problem I have is that I always get an apostrophe when digiting so I get an 'č and not just č and so on. I sent an email to Crackberry Support asking infos for returning within 60 days and they were very propmt. But should I spend some 30,00 euros more to deliver it back? And the time to repack and go to the a UPS? I don't think so. But because of my experience I think I undesrtood why there is such a shortage of minikeyboards at least in Europe: the accent issue. Another defective BBerry product and BBerry semi-failure. I'll be a patient BBerry fun until BB10 comes to the market and see if it is worth to buy BB products again.
    Thanked by:
    Todor Ninov (10-02-2012) 
    MTL likes this.

The keyboard is a fairly brainless device, all the handling is done by the PB software. With the OS2.1 release due any day now it might be worth waiting and re-testing with the new OS. Look at the return window period and make your own judgement.
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    BB10QNX

I'm hoping to see a little more support for the keyboard in 2.1 as well including an options menu for scrolling speed on the touch pad as well as sideways scrolling in app world etc.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

yeah we need more apps with better bt support and options.
    I dont have the official mini keyboard as i couldnt find one in my country, i could import one of ebay but i didnt want to pay over 120 eurs for a used one.
    i got myself instead a Nexus 7 keyboard which fully works and a small bt mouse. Both work great but i wished their were mor apps to fully support this "notebook" conversion.

Also all keyboard work as qwerty only and there is no way to do any country specific special characters, they only work in the touch keyboard.

Odd - in Bridged Email, it does create an Apostrophe before the accented letter. But I just tried Notepad and it works.

So, I'd agree with Branta - it is the interplay between the keyboard and the pb app - not very well done.
    Thanked by:
    Delmeister (10-02-2012) 
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

You'd think the BlackBerry Tablet OS would support multiple languages from initial release. The i18n is standardized and well-documented so the developers should have implemented it given the virtual keyboard at the very least.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Re: Playbook Mini Keyboard

Hallo Branta,

I would buy the mini keyboard. What price do you offer? I live in Slovakia. I don't need accents, I work in English 95% of time.

Boris
    CrackBerry Abuser

The source.ca has a sale right now, $99.99 down from $119.99. Am off to get 2!
    bold 9000, black z10 & playbook 32gb yeah baby
    CrackBerry Newbie

Just bought it on Ebay from a supplier in Hong Kong for CAD 35 (yes thirty five) - approximately the same amount in USD - including shipping. Was skeptical at first, but got it today. Looks okay and can not yet figure out the accents things. Haven't spend too much time on it but I am sure there must be a short cut for the accents. After all RIM is based in an official bilingual (French and English) country.
    CrackBerry User

I have the keyboard and actually have two complaints. One picky one. The straps that hold it on the cover cover the on switch. Stupid design flaw. More significantly I actually miss the auto suggest/auto insert feature supported by the touchscreen keyboard. I am a very good touch typist. I find myself typing faster on the touchscreen and much more accurately than on the keyboard. Also find myself repeatedly hitting return key when I want the delete key. Have sent a lot of messed up txt messages. Maybe the next os updates will support auto insert for the keyboard.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have been waiting (keep me posted) four months for the Mini Keyboard in the uk. Seems like Blackberry/RIM cannot supplyUK customers neither to they care about them!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianfire View Post
    I have been waiting (keep me posted) four months for the Mini Keyboard in the uk. Seems like Blackberry/RIM cannot supplyUK customers neither to they care about them!
    It's because you're on that little tiny island, and it rains all the time... Kidding, kidding, I'm a huge anglophile! Spent lots of time there while in the Navy. All kidding aside, support for PB accessories hasn't been great in the States either. I hope I'm wrong, but I really wonder whether corporate has decided this platform is dead, and only minimal support will be given. If they figure they aren't selling any more, then support to existing customers is an expense, and not an investment. Again, I hope I'm wrong.
    Go Navy, Beat Army

"Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance." -US Submarine Force
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by NickinVA View Post
    It's because you're on that little tiny island, and it rains all the time...
    I'm in / from the UK, and I don't take offence. I am on a little tiny island (relative to some of the other countries / regions) and if I'm honest it does tend to rain a lot.

As to the accessories, well it's probably a case of the suppliers not being terribly joined up with the concept that the PlayBook would end up being sold so cheaply, and as a consequence, greater demand for accessories.
    NickinVA likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I am having trouble using google docs with the mini keyboard. The caps lock seems to be on, and I can't switch it off.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by gumper9 View Post
    I am having trouble using google docs with the mini keyboard. The caps lock seems to be on, and I can't switch it off.
    You should be able to just hit the shift key and that will turn it off. Having said that, you might need to press and hold it for 2 or 3 seconds or even press and hold then do a quick tap to turn it off (just played with mine and it seems inconsistent). To turn caps lock on on you press and hold shift key for 2-3 seconds.