Hey Guys,

So my title pretty much says everything, im a Canadian teaching English in Korea and a few days ago my playbook just stopped charging, i tried everything, stack charging, my bb bold charger, charging via my computer and came to the conclusion that my micro-usb is broken....Now im no expert so maybe there is something I havent tried but im pretty sure i covered all my bases. So my next question is, will RIM be able to help me all the way out here to fix or replace my playbook? There is also another issue, i got mine refurbished from Best Buy and when i checked the playbook support place it says that it no longer qualifies for support. So what would you say is my best course of action here? Call RIM and hope for the best? It still works fine it just wont charge, would you guys recommend just getting the swift charger and not trying to bother getting RIM to fix it out here? Just curious because as of right now I dont know what to do other than be sad that it is not working haha

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!
    12-21-12 11:19 AM
    Call them as their RMA won't charge you anything for shipping. If they refuse to fix they will mail it back to you and then you can buy the rapid charger
    12-21-12 11:22 AM
    ok cheers, i havent had much time to really mess around with things as i am quite busy over here, but i just found out that the usb micro-port is in fact registering that its plugged in....only kind of though.....when its off and i plug it into charge it turns on to the screen that has the "plug, the green arrow, and the lightning bolt" screen - so the one that i believe means find a source of power? (Sorry for that horrendous description of that) it will stay on that screen for about 20 seconds than turn off - when its turned on it wont charge, it doesnt recognize that its plugged in and my laptop also wont recognize it....however when its in stand-by mode and i plug it in, the screen comes back to life which leads me to believe that it is recognizing that its being plugged in? Sorry if this message is confusing im just trying some more trouble shooting techniques to see if i can avoid losing my PB for a lengthy period of time

so now im trying the stack charging again to see if that works
    12-21-12 11:36 AM
    also, if this helps, my battery is at 10%
    12-21-12 11:37 AM
    no luck with the stack charging, should i just try to contact RIM at this point?
    12-21-12 12:25 PM
    Did you try bending the usb port back into place? I've fixed a few of them that way when family members plugged the cable in upside down (easy to do sadly). If you look at the port and the connector is pointing up at the screen, take a small screwdriver and gently move it back into place.
    jpash549 likes this.
    12-21-12 12:28 PM
    i did try that because when i bought it (again it was refurbished) that was my original issue with it....so i have tried to make sure its in place, i'll try again but i dont think thats the issue, im thinking my current courses of action are two-fold....contact RIM and get the quick charger
    12-21-12 12:59 PM
    Im sure i have read somewhere that the charging and hdmi ports are not covered! Might be wrong though.
    I did a search
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rranty-746079/
    12-21-12 01:03 PM
    so if this is the case and the micro-usb is broken, i noticed there are a few different rapid chargers, which would be my best bet to purchase? also does the lack of micro-usb connectivity mean i cannot transfer files to and from my playbook to laptop or can i do that using the WiFi or bluetooth?

again, thanks for all the help guys
    12-21-12 01:03 PM
    I have the magnetic travel charger, can be used with PB in a case. I never use the usb port now, use wifi to transfer files from PC to PB
    12-21-12 01:07 PM
    alright, cheers, im gonna call RIM but i may as well order the rapid charger so i can at least continue to use my PB, thanks again!
    12-21-12 01:19 PM
    Get the travel one..... charges much quicker than the usb charger. We all here to help each other
    12-21-12 01:25 PM
    it would be nice if you could get back to us and tell us how it went. It might be of interest to those who have similar problem as yours.
    12-21-12 01:35 PM
    I had a problem with the micro usb on my pb16gb where, upon inspection with magnifying glass, one of the gold contacts had lifted and pushed out of way and would no longer make contact for either charging, nor data. It was still in 1 year warranty, (but beyond 90 tech support), so I called up RIM, talked with nice agent, and she coordinated an RMA case. I got a box delivered with paperwork. I filled out some papers, put the playbook in the box and scheduled for pickup. Now this was a few months ago, but total time was around 5 business days. It came back repaired, and worked perfectly!

The agent said that if the damage was determined not to be user abuse or damage, then they would cover it under warranty. And it was in this case, so the only thing it cost me was a few days without my pb.

I also have the stand rapid charger, so even though the micro usb didn't work, I still could charge it, and transfer data over wifi share. Backing up all my files over wifi was slow... And can't do a full system backup with desktop software. That's pretty much why I had to send it in. I like to be able to efficiently backup my data quickly.

If I were you, and was still in warranty period, call up support.
    12-21-12 05:00 PM
    You really need to get a rapid charger before the PlayBook goes dead because you will really have problems then. Get the charger, get it charged and try the rma. If it doesn't work out you can at least charge via rapido . Good luck.
    12-22-12 12:18 AM