I have a 16 gig playbook and have attached the memory and storage specs. I downloaded 4 movies and would like an opinion on how many more movies the playbook could store. Would appreciate everyones help. Thank you.
    12-22-11 08:46 PM
    How much movies are needed on your PB?
    How many movies can you watch at the same time?
    Why not carry, say, 6 movies and switch them when needed?

800MB per movie on avarage is a reasonable figure. You do the math.
    annamarialuann likes this.
    12-22-11 09:11 PM
    A fresh 16GB unit should have about 11.8GB free. If you've already put 4 movies on the one you show above, and used only 1.4GB, then each movie is only about 0.35GB for you (incredibly small really... these aren't full-size movies are they?).

If you have 10.4GB left, and we leave, say, 1GB free as a buffer, then you can fit about 30 more movies of that size on that unit. (10.4 divided by 0.35)
    annamarialuann and jigga2 like this.
    12-22-11 09:13 PM
    Not sure what size the movies are can't recall when I was downloading them. Is there a way to check movie spec on pb?
    12-22-11 09:19 PM
    The best way I can answer your question is from personal experience. I use DVD Catalyst 4 to convert movies I want to put on my Playbook. From what I see, a movie of around two hours in length takes about 1 GB of space, a 3 hour movie takes about 1.5 GB. Therefore, the number of movies you can fit on your Playbook depends on how long they may run. Hope this helps you.
    12-22-11 09:21 PM
    To check the size, use either the usb or wifi-sharing and find the pb. Then find the video folder in Windows' Explorer or Mac version. Look at the size of your files.

Or download the free Air Browser and follow to the media/video subfolders.
    12-22-11 09:58 PM
    Whats the best format to use on the playbook in terms efficiency of size of data while still maintaining quality?
    12-22-11 10:11 PM
    There is always a small bit of "wiggle room" as I call it. Roughly a few hundred Megabytes that show as free space when connected to my Mac via USB.

At the same time that the DM is telling me that I'm 600MB over capacity, in the Finder (Explorer for the Windows folks) it shows that i have nearly the same amout of free space.

A second look at the system view in the Options pull down, also reflects this.

The bad part is while you can use this space, when installing a large app (such as a premium game... Lets say Dead Space as an example) there is not enough room in the PB file system to download and install the game due to running out of storage.

so to use the extra room is your call, but when a large update comes, be prepared to do some deleting to make enough space for larger files or applications to install.
    12-22-11 10:14 PM
    Seagate GoFlex Satellite 500GB USB 3.0 / WIFI Black Mobile Wireless Storage
    $40 off w/ promo code EMCJHJA36, ends 12/25
    Newegg $160 Shipped

Newegg.com - Seagate GoFlex Satellite 500GB USB 3.0 / WIFI Black Mobile Wireless Storage STBF500101
    Welcome to CB, thanks for the post! Its a pretty cool device.
    12-22-11 10:19 PM
    Whats the best format to use on the playbook in terms efficiency of size of data while still maintaining quality?
    mp4 is the best bet. The PB screen while nice quality, won't work wonders for HD playback but it will handle a nice quality DVD resolution. If you use Handbrake, simply choose the iPad preset and your results should look great.
    spike12 likes this.
    12-22-11 10:20 PM
    I have a 64GB, never have to worry about storage, i have 5 hd movies, season 6 of Dexter, season 4 of Sons Of Anarchy all hd. 1600 songs and still have 28 GB left.

you will just have to have good space management skills! Utilize cloud storage @amazon for your music/movies
    12-23-11 08:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD