My wife has an ancient Curve that she got for free with a contract and it still performs flawlessly though the track ball did try to make a run for it once. Crapple wants disposable product. RIM not so much.
    Not at all saying that RIM makes disposable products...the Tour family got absorbed into the Bold family (9650=9630 with tracpad and more memory) the Storm line got absorbed into the Torch family (9850/9860). They didn't abandon anything...just re-named them...

And rightfully so...don't think we should expect to see another ocean liner named Titanic anytime soon if you get my drift...
    09-17-11 07:30 PM
    Aww, you're so cute!
    You know that won't happen!.
    Why thank you!

but, what I do know, is that more than likely in 10 months we can expect ot see a Thunderbolt2 gracing the shelves of our local VZW stores...
    09-17-11 07:31 PM
    09-17-11 07:34 PM
    Yes, thanks. That's what I'm saying. I want a phone to be great for two plus years. I don't want a new phone every 10 months. The 8330 was awesome, most people agree.

Tour and Storm failures. PlayBook...we don't know yet.
    Then hit the thanks button and boost the scores of the nonwhiner contingent.

I wouldn't have my Bold,though, if I hadn't submerged my trusty LG fossil.

Technically, the PB is arguably the best tablet on the market already. Whether it can prove that it is an entirely different beast than the isurrendertofads and carve out its own successful niche remains to be seen.

Here's BB robustness comparison to crapple, et al. I had an itouch that seemed very fragile. Even my trusty LG needed some consideration. With my Bold, I'll toss it on my desk with nary a second thought. "Dead Space" shows the integrity of the PB build: very solid.
    WilkBoy likes this.
    09-17-11 07:35 PM
    Not at all saying that RIM makes disposable products...the Tour family got absorbed into the Bold family (9650=9630 with tracpad and more memory) the Storm line got absorbed into the Torch family (9850/9860). They didn't abandon anything...just re-named them...

And rightfully so...don't think we should expect to see another ocean liner named Titanic anytime soon if you get my drift...
    They basically did abandon the 9630. They were giving customers 9650s for warranty exchanges. Because it sucked so badly.

And again, SurePress was dropped. It's dead, Lu can't argue with that. If something doesnt work, is crap, it needs to be let go...
    09-17-11 07:37 PM
    It's probably true though. I'd imagine RIM have about 10 million PB's still in stock and only will be selling about 200k a quarter or less. So, that'll mean about 12 years to clear current inventory.

So, let's hope they have stopped manufacturing.
    09-17-11 07:39 PM
    Then hit the thanks button and boost the scores of the nonwhiner contingent.

I wouldn't have my Bold,though, if I hadn't submerged my trusty LG fossil.

Technically, the PB is arguably the best tablet on the market already. Whether it can prove that it is an entirely different beast than the isurrendertofads and carve out its own successful niche remains to be seen.

Here's BB robustness comparison to crapple, et al. I had an itouch that seemed very fragile. Even my trusty LG needed some consideration. With my Bold, I'll toss it on my desk with nary a second thought. "Dead Space" shows the integrity of the PB build: very solid.
    I don't have tablet experience. I used an Ipad 1 for 3 weeks when visiting my cousin. They also had 2 laptops. I thought the iPad was really useful. Not sure why people are so against Apple, just because of the brand, or because it's popular.

However, if I get a tab, it will be a PlayBoook.
    09-17-11 07:41 PM
    They basically did abandon the 9630. They were giving customers 9650s for warranty exchanges. Because it sucked so badly.

And again, SurePress was dropped. It's dead, Lu can't argue with that. If something doesnt work, is crap, it needs to be let go...
    You say abandoned...I say upgraded...
    And SurePress was awesome...never had one problem with scrolling thru web pages and mistakenly clicking the ads like I did for the 8 days I was a DroidX owner...
    09-17-11 07:47 PM
    this rumor tops it all in the rumor mill......unbelievable.
    09-18-11 12:51 AM
    I don't have tablet experience. I used an Ipad 1 for 3 weeks when visiting my cousin. They also had 2 laptops. I thought the iPad was really useful. Not sure why people are so against Apple, just because of the brand, or because it's popular.

However, if I get a tab, it will be a PlayBoook.
    ppl are against apple because they use outdated technology and market it as 'revolutionary' and that somehow 'it changes everything ...again'.

the worst part is all the isheep eats it up like gold without doing any research.
    09-18-11 02:23 AM
    The Wi-Fi version might be discontinued.
    Why? Coz RIM still got plenty of them on their warehouse and retailers.
    It might be discontinued, and when the demand is back high while stock is limited, perhaps they will produce WiFi version again. It's just a simple logic...

Side note though, they STILL and WILL produce LTE & HSPA+ version.
    09-18-11 05:24 AM
    ppl are against apple because they use outdated technology and market it as 'revolutionary' and that somehow 'it changes everything ...again'.

the worst part is all the isheep eats it up like gold without doing any research.
    yep, they're good at marketing and getting developers on board, which sells.
    09-18-11 06:25 AM
    I'd just like to throw in that Pixmania are part of the DSG retail group, one of the largest tech channel buyers/sellers in the UK

Including Dixons and Currys - so they're not a random small retailer. They're probably the largest in Europe.

Further reading can be found here :

Dixons Retail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway lets hope that someone just mistakingly wrote the message they put up on all gear when they discount it. Or that they just want out of the PB stock they've accumulated.
    09-18-11 06:31 AM
    RE: PLAYBOOK - The manufacturer is no longer making this product Order now!

Now, who would like to buy electronic product that is no longer being produced? Not even those people who bought HP Touchpad, I guess... unless the price goes down to US$99 too...

But seriously, this coming OS2 will probably the determinant of whether to stop or continue the production of PlayBook...
    09-18-11 12:16 PM
    I've taken this from a European Website (BLACKBERRY PlayBook Tablet - 16 GB buy price Tablets).
    It says the same for the 64GB version, and in all languages...

It says that "The manufacturer is no longer making this product Order now!"
    Is this a way to sell more, another Playbook is coming out soon, or the end of it?
    I only see the 16GB offered with 20% discount on that website. But I don't see any mention re "product discontinue" or anything like that. Maybe they have a way to only show that to people who will believe them?!
    09-18-11 01:39 PM
    The Wi-Fi version might be discontinued.
    Why? Coz RIM still got plenty of them on their warehouse and retailers.
    It might be discontinued, and when the demand is back high while stock is limited, perhaps they will produce WiFi version again. It's just a simple logic...

Side note though, they STILL and WILL produce LTE & HSPA+ version.
    That's called speculation, not logic.
    09-18-11 02:29 PM
    oh no! I should rush and order 10 right now!!!
    09-18-11 04:23 PM
    Well, since it's clearly a lie, I would say just that. It's a lie to sell playbooks.
    And to try and cash in on the weird excitement that surrounded HP's "we're killing the TouchPad" announcement. People want to get their hands on the hardware and try and hack Android on to it to resell it -- if it's priced low enough.
    09-18-11 05:17 PM
    It's possible.

Tour line was discontinued.
    Storm line discontinued.

I hope it's not true though. I'd like to get one eventually.
    Tour line was junk, Storm line was even junkier, Playbook is the farthest thing from junk ive seen in a gadget for a long time
    09-18-11 09:40 PM
    "Dead Space" shows the integrity of the PB build: very solid.
    I have plyed it on the PB and iPad2 (fiancee has iPad2). Comparable for speed, though the PB seemed ever so slightly smoother/better frame rate.

But after a few minutes - we want back to rock-scissors-paper-lizard-spock.
    09-19-11 11:52 AM

I don't know how outdated the iphone 4 was when it came out. The "isheep" for the most part, in my opinion, are highly influenced by commercials and marketing, but that doesn't mean its not a great device.
    09-19-11 01:33 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD