Is it possible to buy a stand alone charger (not the stand) that uses the charging contacts? I assume it is a magnetic charging point, like the one for new MAC. Does anyone know? thanks
    05-11-11 05:35 AM
    it's a bit expensive, but i have this one:

BlackBerry� Rapid Charger for the PlayBook� Tablet | Staples�

it's magnetic, and uses the contacts, just like you explained.
    05-11-11 06:33 AM
    @osubass1: thanks for the reply. Indeed, quite expensive, but here it would cost me about 100 USD, so still better. Here we use the three pin sockets (like UK). I see that the charger has a power inlet which is the cord going to the power socket. Can I use a standard power cable or is this a custom design for the tablet?
    05-11-11 07:20 AM
    Indeed that's the charger you're looking for - it's basically the same idea as the rapid charging pod except it skips the actual stand/pod and is replaced by the adapter. The connection that it uses is that three-pinned power connection commonly used with some laptop adapters etc - so if you have one kicking around that could work; however my question would be if a standard one would be of high enough capacity - as from my experience the rapid charging pod charges my PB at LEAST twice as fast as the charger that is included in the box.

If you need a charger that charges your PlayBook very quickly, I would suggest buying an official one through CrackBerry. The charging stand or rapid charge adapter would work the same.

EDIT: the three-pin connection I'm talking about is the part that goes into the charging adapter - not the magnetic connection on the actual PlayBook (thought some may get confused with that)
    05-11-11 07:30 AM
    Here's a bit cheaper of a source: (This is an official OEM part)

Newegg.com - BlackBerry Rapid Travel Charger for PlayBook ACC-39341-303
    gods84 likes this.
    05-11-11 07:37 AM
    All,

Thanks! That is what I was looking for and I will pick it up from the web shop
    05-13-11 07:44 AM
    aha. touchstone? would be nice to have
    05-13-11 07:48 AM
    wicked. i love how entering in a title just automatically picks up a forum I'm looking for. busted one of my cell phone charger cables cause i stepped on it not paying attention. was trying find one of the magnetic chargers for PB but hadn't had any luck.

thanks!
    08-04-11 06:30 PM
    I was looking for this magnetic charger and was suprised how expensive it is for a charger. Its looks bulky and I am wondering why dont Blackberry supply this magnetic charger (hope to have a smaller version) together with the Playbook rather than the traditional micro-usb charger.

I can't find any third party manufacturer that does this magnetic charger for this Playbook, maybe due to licensing issue or simply nobody want to create one because there are too little playbook users

- Charles
    04-01-12 01:41 AM
    I was looking for this magnetic charger and was suprised how expensive it is for a charger. Its looks bulky and I am wondering why dont Blackberry supply this magnetic charger (hope to have a smaller version) together with the Playbook rather than the traditional micro-usb charger.

I can't find any third party manufacturer that does this magnetic charger for this Playbook, maybe due to licensing issue or simply nobody want to create one because there are too little playbook users

- Charles
    The answer to both halves of your question: Non-RIM owned patents
    04-01-12 01:51 AM
    Info in case it helps:

The RIM BlackBerry PlayBook rapid charger, the one with the magnetic plug, will accept 'world power' 100-240 volts 50-60 Hz (I read this off of the one I have).

The cord included with mine is a North American standard 3-prong plug. The AC power cord is removable, but it might be easier to obtain a plug adapter than a replacement cable, or just re-terminate the cord with a local plug.

The magnetic power connector saves a lot of wear and tear on the micro-USB socket.
    04-01-12 07:54 AM
    it's a bit expensive, but i have this one:

BlackBerry� Rapid Charger for the PlayBook� Tablet | Staples�

it's magnetic, and uses the contacts, just like you explained.
    Glad I bought the magnetic rapid charger and a pod charger stand at Staples when they were on clearance sale last September for under $15 each.
    04-01-12 08:10 AM
    Info in case it helps:

The RIM BlackBerry PlayBook rapid charger, the one with the magnetic plug, will accept 'world power' 100-240 volts 50-60 Hz (I read this off of the one I have).

The cord included with mine is a North American standard 3-prong plug. The AC power cord is removable, but it might be easier to obtain a plug adapter than a replacement cable, or just re-terminate the cord with a local plug.

The magnetic power connector saves a lot of wear and tear on the micro-USB socket.
    A little off topic, but I clicked the link in your signature.... Crashed and burned
    JeffyPooh likes this.
    04-01-12 08:46 AM
    The answer to both halves of your question: Non-RIM owned patents
    I assume its owned by Apple...

- Charles
    04-01-12 09:38 AM
    I believe the magnetic chargers uses a pogo connection. Rim uses these connectors but doesn't manufacturer in them. Yokowo is the leader in these connectors. Yokowo, Spring loaded connectors, Pogo pins, Spring connectors
    04-01-12 10:51 AM
    The rapid charger is great. I bought two from Amazon -- one for the office and one for home. One nice thing is that it works without removing my Blurex case.

I'm also a long time Mac laptop guy, so this cable is very intuitive to use.
    04-01-12 01:15 PM
    Bought 2 from radio Shack for 20 bucks a piece. My only regret is not buying it sooner. It charges quick and I love the magnetic attachments.
    04-01-12 02:37 PM
    Is it possible to buy a stand alone charger (not the stand) that uses the charging contacts? I assume it is a magnetic charging point, like the one for new MAC. Does anyone know? thanks
    Bought mine through Blackberry's store for $70. It was expensive, but prefer that to over-using the Playbook's mini-USB port (which is how I ruined my first one).
    04-01-12 02:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD