Hello!

I just got my PB 16GB

Just did the initial setup and updated the software to current version during the setup, but while its restarting its taken now over 5mins and all I see are the flashing colors and the logo with "Blackberry Playbook" next to it!!

What do I do? Is this normal?
    07-23-11 09:15 PM
    Booting is a bit on the long side, if more than 10 mins you should look into it.
    Maybe update with Desktop Manager?
    07-23-11 09:28 PM
    mine took a good 15 mins on the initial boot up....ill say wait and be patient
    07-23-11 09:38 PM
    Hello!

I just got my PB 16GB

Just did the initial setup and updated the software to current version during the setup, but while its restarting its taken now over 5mins and all I see are the flashing colors and the logo with "Blackberry Playbook" next to it!!

What do I do? Is this normal?
    Hmm could be because you updated the s/w and it takes longer the first time? Did it ever boot or is it still just staring at you? It may boot faster the next time...

Try a hard reset - hold the power, and both + and - buttons all three down at the same time for over ten seconds (with the charger plugged in that came with the unit!)
    07-23-11 09:40 PM
    Thanks for your replies...

I tried doing the hard reset with the device plugged in but no go....when rebooting the PB just stays at the booting screen with the flashing colors.

Now Im trying to update with desktop manager....its been checking for an update for a while now but I still have the PB trying to boot.....should I do another hard reset?
    07-23-11 09:57 PM
    mine took a good 15 mins on the initial boot up....ill say wait and be patient
    15 minutes??!!!

Mine was at about 10 when I freaked out....don't know what to do now....the Desktop software still says checking for updates!
    07-23-11 10:01 PM
    with desktop manager opened turn the pb off, if dm ask to retry or update hit update and be patient it will take about..... well awhile
    07-23-11 10:36 PM
    Now that I remember, I think I got the bad os 1.0.7 I remember it said it was 350mb or something and I just read somewhere that its now 311mb.

Last night I did a hard reboot again with the charger on and let it sit there and went to sleep hoping today I would wake up with a PB in the home screen, but no. It was off and when trying to turn it on again, it has the red light blinking twice every couple of seconds.

Oh well. I connected the PB to my laptop again after letting it charge overnight. Started up the desktop manager and it detected the playbook and I selected "update" since it can't communicate with it.

Now I'll go to church and some other things... Let's hope when I get back update is done!.
    07-24-11 07:13 AM
    Yay!!

Finally I see a Downloading bar!!

I came back from church and the tablet was the same... I disconnected the PB from the laptop...restarted the laptop, started again the Desktop Manager and after it was up, I plugged the PB....and it promptly asked for update and now its downloading the software!!!

Hope this one goes ok!

EDIT: The downloading of the update is taking forever!! Are RIM servers that Slow?
    300 MB is not really a long download.... like 20 mins in should be fine on a good connection...just my thoughts.
    Last edited by emoralesramos; 07-24-11 at 11:17 AM.
    07-24-11 11:02 AM
    Another update

the desktop update finished....did initial setup again, but battery is at 0% !!!!

Now Its a wait until battery is at least 20% to continue...

RIM has to fix this update issue and the bricking of tablets.

I am confident I will get out of this and Im very patient....but I can see how many other people could get frustrated with this and return it. I was starting to consider it myself.
    07-24-11 12:21 PM
    is it working yet?
    07-24-11 01:05 PM
    well now i can happily report that my playbook is in working condition and i'm loving it so far!!!! In fact i'm typing this from it!! i dont know how i missed that you have to have the desktop manager software already running on your pc before plugging the PB.....but now its working like a charm. Bridge software runs great too. i already started sending messages with BBM. Anyhow thanks to everyone for your help!!
    07-24-11 08:34 PM
    yay....... good for you.... enjoy and welcome to forums btw.....
    07-24-11 09:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD