how does the Local app work on the Playbook ? I go to navigation and all I get is a message waiting for location! Map searching and everything else works ok, but I cannot use it as a gps nav.
    07-03-13 09:24 AM
    What is this App? I'm not aware of anything like this built in? Unless you mean the 'Bing' thing which I've never got to work...?
    Or is it something you have purchased/sideloaded?

EDIT: In general, GPS can take a long time to fire up on the PlayBook if you haven't used it before or recently.
    Launch the App, and leave you rPB somewhere witth a clear view of the sky for 10 minutes or so. That may work.

There is a free App inthe BlackBerry app store called something like 'GPS Test'. It may be worth installing that and seeing if there are any messages coming from the GPS module...

Cheers,

Chris.
    Last edited by ChrisMay; 07-03-13 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Additional information
    07-03-13 09:29 AM
    how does the Local app work on the Playbook ? I go to navigation and all I get is a message waiting for location! Map searching and everything else works ok, but I cannot use it as a gps nav.
    If your inside a building it just won't work. What app are you using because some of them require you to turn on GPS when you first run them. I use Bing sometimes but usually Magellan (app world).
    07-03-13 09:47 AM
    If your inside a building it just won't work. What app are you using because some of them require you to turn on GPS when you first run them. I use Bing sometimes but usually Magellan (app world).
    And here i thought you old timers would just use the stars and a compass. Perhaps a dried leaf in a pan of cold water with some iron filings and flint sprinkled onto the end.

I know there is no gps signal in the cellar
    sad_old_man likes this.
    07-03-13 12:07 PM
    I think Local is actually a sideloaded version of Google Maps (that is what it is called on my Playbook). I agree that it can take a while for the GPS to fire up and obviously you need to be outside for the PlayBook to see the satellite. I hope this helps!
    07-03-13 03:17 PM
    I think Local is actually a sideloaded version of Google Maps (that is what it is called on my Playbook). I agree that it can take a while for the GPS to fire up and obviously you need to be outside for the PlayBook to see the satellite. I hope this helps!
    Please check this but I don't think the pb works with Google maps? Try bing for a start just to see if everything works on your pb. Then go from there.
    07-03-13 03:20 PM
    And here i thought you old timers would just use the stars and a compass. Perhaps a dried leaf in a pan of cold water with some iron filings and flint sprinkled onto the end.

Don't need it. I know where my cellar is!
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    07-03-13 03:24 PM

Wow, a leaf!? Now that changes everything!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    07-04-13 10:04 AM
    Wow, a leaf!? Now that changes everything!
    He's just showing his age!
    Cynycl likes this.
    07-04-13 10:28 AM