Hey iam about to buy this case DELUXE BLACK LEATHER CASE COVER FOR BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK | eBay and I have read that some cases with magnets are unhealthy for the tablets compass or something. Can someone please tell me if this is true?
    06-19-12 05:08 AM
    magnets will throw off the compass but it isn't permanent.

i would check out some of the "what's up" threads. the app's dev has done some extensive testing on th pb's magnotometer.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860
    06-19-12 05:31 AM
    magnets will throw off the compass but it isn't permanent.

i would check out some of the "what's up" threads. the app's dev has done some extensive testing on th pb's magnotometer.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860
    Well as long as it is not permanent ORDERED!
    06-19-12 06:46 AM
    Case looks like it will interfere with bezel gestures.. I wouldn't chance it..
    06-19-12 08:02 AM
    Case looks like it will interfere with bezel gestures.. I wouldn't chance it..
    I have the same case, and it leaves enough of the bezel exposed for gestures, no problem. Also, I tested my compass with the case on and off, and the magnets knocked the compass readings off by about 10 degrees, so if you need an accurate compass reading, take it out of the case.
    06-19-12 10:43 AM
    Also, I tested my compass with the case on and off, and the magnets knocked the compass readings off by about 10 degrees, so if you need an accurate compass reading, take it out of the case.
    interesting, I never use the compass so I didn't notice that it was off with my magnetic case.
    06-19-12 12:37 PM
    10 degrees is not a lot, out of 360 degrees, but I definitely got different readings with my PB in and out of the case.
    06-19-12 12:47 PM
    Lol! Don't think I'd want anything messing with my pb but if it doesn't matter to you, go for it.
    06-19-12 02:06 PM
    Yes, Buzz found that the new RIM BT keyboard's case affects What's Up as the magnet that retains the easel-flap interferes.
    06-19-12 02:56 PM
    I bought one of those ebay cases with the built in swivel so you can view your PB in portrait mode. Had it for about a month, and I have to say it completely blew away my expectations for a $10 case shipped from Hong Kong. Major thumbs up. I can access the charge ports with the case closed by simply swiveling the PB around. No magnetic closure, though, just an elastic band.
    06-19-12 04:02 PM
    Hey iam about to buy this case DELUXE BLACK LEATHER CASE COVER FOR BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK | eBay and I have read that some cases with magnets are unhealthy for the tablets compass or something. Can someone please tell me if this is true?
    Don't know if the magnetic cases are long-term unhealthy for the PB Compass, but they certainly interfere with the compass working properly

To use the "What's Up" astronomy app it is much easier if I remove the PB from the magnetic case (otherwise the orientation keeps on knacking up)

The case I use is a Navitech Flip-Carry Black Leather one:
    Navitech Black Genuine Premium Leather Flip Carry Case: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    06-19-12 05:38 PM
    I bought one of those ebay cases with the built in swivel so you can view your PB in portrait mode. Had it for about a month, and I have to say it completely blew away my expectations for a $10 case shipped from Hong Kong. Major thumbs up. I can access the charge ports with the case closed by simply swiveling the PB around. No magnetic closure, though, just an elastic band.
    I bought this case also and love it. Definitely recommend it.
    06-19-12 09:31 PM
    I got a case that had magnets and it messed up my speakers and screen. Took it off everything went back to normal
    06-20-12 12:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD