Playbook Known Issues and Resolutions
Please update this thread so that it will be helpful to others, Please update with the problem you faced and the resolution incase if you had any.
1) Always plugin your Playbook to a power source during the OS upgrade.
2) Upgrade Desktop Manager to the latest version so that it supports Playbook.
1)There is a "power icon" introduced in the OS build , for restart and turn off purposes you may use it.
2) Playbook when bridged automatically imports your Wifi networks stored on your Blackberry Phone and so no extra work required.
3) Current OS Build in mass usage (188.8.131.525)
4) Blackberry Playbook Forum : BlackBerry® PlayBook - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
HOW TO :
1) Hard Reset : Hold down the volume up key, volume down key, and power button at the same time and hold it for about 15 seconds. TIP: Its easier if you hit the volume up key then the volume down key and then the power key.
How To Perform a Hard Reset on the BlackBerry PlayBook - BerryReview
2) How to Bridge and Tether at the same time, checkout comment #95
3) KB26136-How to synchronize media from a computer to a BlackBerry PlayBook
4) KB26130-How to customize the appearance of the BlackBerry PlayBook
5) KB26135-How to restore data to a BlackBerry PlayBook
6) KB26621-How to change the payment method in BlackBerry App World for BlackBerry PlayBook
7) KB26228-Getting started with BlackBerry Playbook initial setup
8) KB26515-How to import security certificates on the BlackBerry PlayBook
9) KB26582-"Unable to display the BlackBerry ID agreement" during PlayBook setup
10) KB26275-Prompted to perform a software update during initial BlackBerry PlayBook setup
11) KB26382-Locating the PIN and serial number on the BlackBerry PlayBook
12) KB26038-How to obtain logs from PlayBook
13) KB26142-How to pair the BlackBerry PlayBook with a Bluetooth device
14) KB26141-How to setup Bluetooth Internet Tethering on the BlackBerry PlayBook
15) KB26134-How to backup data on a BlackBerry PlayBook
16) KB26096-Troubleshooting Wi-Fi and networking on the BlackBerry PlayBook
17) KB26540-Supported attachment types while using BlackBerry Bridge with the BlackBerry PlayBook
18) KB05196-Connect a computer to the Internet using a BlackBerry smartphone as a USB tethered modem
19) KB26067-Messages, Calendar, Tasks, Memos, Bridge Browser and Bridge Files icons are not present on the BlackBerry PlayBook
20) KB26142-How to pair the BlackBerry PlayBook with a Bluetooth device
21) KB26096-Troubleshooting Wi-Fi and networking on the BlackBerry PlayBook
23) KB26131-How to remove applications from the BlackBerry PlayBook
24) KB26671-"Install Error: There was a problem during installation. Please try again." is encountered when attempting to download an application from BlackBerry App World on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet
25) KB26068-How to transfer files to and from the BlackBerry PlayBook
26) KB26141-How to setup Bluetooth Internet Tethering on the BlackBerry PlayBook
27) KB26694-How to change the BlackBerry ID on a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet
28) KB26708-PlayBook - Low Battery
29) FAQ: Transfer Files to the BlackBerry PlayBook Over Wi-Fi or USB - BerryReview
KNOW ISSUES AND WAITING FOR AN UPDATE FROM RIM
1) BridgeFiles feature currently doesn't support media files and hence you will not be able to access any of your music, videos or photos stored on your Blackberry. It just supports Documents currently.
2) Bridge Browser is very slow
3)sometimes EMAIL notification is getting displayed/stuck even after all the emails are marked read in the Inbox
4) No way to delete the PDF files from the device (although the work around is to delete from your PC/MAC)
5) Slides-to-go does not have edit feature yet
6) Cannot edit the documents when bridged
7) GPS is not available yet
8) BBM via bridge not available yet
9) Bridge feature has some issues like occasional freeze ups, reconnecting etc.
10) Bluetooth stereo headphones or headset profiles are not supported yet but are coming soon
ISSUES AND WORK AROUNDS:
Issue 1: My Playbook is struck on the bootup screen?
Resolution that worked in few cases:
Power off the Playbook.
Plug in the USB cable into the PC and fire up the Desktop Manager.
Plug the other end of the USB cable in to the Playbook.
Hit the power button on the PlayBook.
Desktop Manager should detect the 'BlackBerry Playbook' and should request you to download new software.
Download the software and update the OS on the Playbook.
Disconnect the Playbook when it is finished installing updates.
Power On the Playbook and it should take a while to reboot.
If the above process didn't work you do a hard reset by pressing and holding the power button along with volume up and down keys.
Issue 2: Unable to locate Bridge App in the App World
Resolution: For ATT customers, here are the OTA links
OS 6 : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...erryBridge.jad
OS 5 : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...yBridgeOS5.jad
For Other Carriers, either do a battery pull or restart your Blackberry
Issue 3: I am noticing incomplete downloads in App world
Observation/Resolution: In the Playbook, by default your application behavior is that the application is stopped when you open a new app in the fore ground and that means you download is struck and it appears as if you are having issues with the Wifi but that's not the case, change the application behavior to "showcase" in system settings or have the App downloading something in the fore ground.
Issue 4: I have Dead Pixel on the screen.
Dead Pixel test :This is a simple test designed to make it easier to detect LCD "dead pixels" (pixels that are either stuck-ON or stuck-OFF) by displaying a series of solid background color pages for contrast.
LCD Dead Pixel Test Backgrounds - Black
LCD Dead Pixel Test Backgrounds - White
LCD Dead Pixel Test Backgrounds - Red
for other backgrounds check out this link LCD Dead Pixel Test Backgrounds
Resolution: You may want to exchange it.
Issue 5: My battery is able to charge 98% only..
Resolution: It is a non-issue, most batteries lifespan drop if being on high voltage too long (100%), So usually manufacturers will try to let it state it is fully charged before it even reach 100% to extend the lifespan of the battery.
Issue 6: My Playbook doesn't recharge when plugged in power-off mode
Resolution: Playbook like the iOS devices require it to be powered on inorder to recharge. However we expect RIM to push an update to trigger a power on the device as soon as it is plugged in.
Issue 7: Hulu not working on the Playbook
Resolution: Checkout the comment# 34, there is a workaround
Issue 8 - Network Storage mode issues
Resolution : Check out this thread : http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/pl...solved-607558/
Issue 9: My Poynt app is not showing my location
Resolution: Until RIM enable the GPS you may have to feed the information manually, In Poynt app, tap the blue bar on the top, it should popup a dialog box asking for a location.
Issue 10:Bridge problems or it doesn't work
Try the following:
- Delete Bluetooth pairs on both the BlackBerry Smartphone and the PlayBook
- Go to Options
- Go to Network and Connections
- Go to Bluetooth Connections
- Press the menu key and choose MAP Options
- Uncheck all options under Message Services
- Press the Back button and choose to Save
- Within the Bluetooth Connections screen, press the menu key
- Select Options
- Under Serial Port Profile, uncheck everything but Data Transfer
- Press the Back button and choose Save
- After going through these steps, please restart both the BlackBerry Smartphone and the PlayBook then attempt to use BlackBerry Bridge again.
Issue 11: The playbook is stuck and not responding to any gestures.
Resolution: Do a Hard Reset : Hold down the volume up key, volume down key, and power button at the same time and hold it for about 15 seconds. TIP: Its easier if you hit the volume up key then the volume down key and then the power key.
---------------------------------------- Please keep updating this thread -------------
Last edited by sf49ers; 04-28-11 at 08:00 PM.
- 04-20-11, 03:39 PM #8
They should sticky this thread. I'm surprised there isn't one already out there so people won't keep posting the same issues over and over. And also good consolidation for problems.
- CrackBerry User
04-20-11, 04:45 PM #9
- 16 Posts
I still can't connect my device to Bridge!
I'm on a 9780 from T-mobile. Running OS6 (184.108.40.2068 platform 220.127.116.11)
Anyone have an issue like this? I just reloaded the OS (I was previously running a beta version of the same OS).
It is almost like it attempts to connect, and then kicks right out. Almost like there is a problem with the Bluetooth itself? It seems to tether without a problem, and also connect to the Bluetooth in my WRX.
I'm at a loss....any help would be greatly appreciated!
- 04-20-11, 05:18 PM #11
I need some help. I had updated to .690 yesterday but my PB said there was a software update available and it was the same one installed. I thought this was odd, but figured I should install anyway to keep the PB happy. So, I installed OTA and when it restarted (rebooted) it got stuck on the PlayBook black screen. Now, after reading this I realize my mistake was not plugging it into a power source. Now I don't know what to do. I tried to rebook it by holding down the power button but it didn't work. I also read in another thread that connecting it to DM would provide a debrick fix, but this didn't work as my DM doesn't recognize that that the PB is plugged in (hence, no software or debrick file update showing). Any suggestions? Thanks
- CrackBerry Abuser
04-20-11, 05:30 PM #14
- 282 Posts
I have a few lingering questions:
1) Is there a way to turn on autotext? Capitalizing and punctuating are getting to be a pain.
2) My bridge is only showing emails and no texts. I know that the bbm update is coming soon but I thought sms and mms were displayed in the bridge messages folder...?
3) Is there a way to add another tray to the main nav? I like to keep all of my apps together in one folder and would ideally like to have it be an option on the main menu like "all", "favorites", "media", etc. is this possible?
Overall, very impressed with this thing...only way not to love it is if you are a hater. Amazing piece of tech!
- 04-20-11, 06:12 PM #18
- 04-20-11, 06:22 PM #21
- CrackBerry User
04-20-11, 07:00 PM #25
- 73 Posts
Problems with Camera and Screen Capture... When taking pics with the Camera, the pics are stored under the Camera folder on the Playbook... However, I don't see them when I use the Picture Viewer on the Playbook... Also, I tried to take a Screen Capture by depressing the up and down volume keys at the same time and nothing is happening.