Does anyone know if the new Playbook will have the Kindle app available. I want a Playbook and I want a Kindle. It would be great to have them both in one! I really don't want a different reader than the Kindle because it is so versatile.
    11-04-10 05:21 PM
    i don't see why not its really up to the developers...i am pretty sure it will have some sort of ebook app tho
    11-04-10 05:33 PM
    Amazon has announced that a Kindle app will be available. They announced it just hours after RIM announced the PlayBook, so I'm guessing they're one of RIM's partner companies. The device looks like it will ship with the Kobo e-reader, but I'm sure Kindle will be in App World.
    11-04-10 05:43 PM
    Thank you, that is very helpful! Now if we just knew when they were releasing it and how much it will cost!
    11-04-10 05:48 PM
    Thank you, that is very helpful! Now if we just knew when they were releasing it and how much it will cost!
    I really like the Kindle apps--I just don't ever plan on buying a Kindle device. I use my Touchs to access my Kindle books, as well as (on occasion) my S2.
    11-04-10 06:43 PM
    I think my over 60 yo eyes would not appreciate me attempting to read on my Bold 9000!
    11-04-10 07:23 PM
    I wouldn't see why not. I the iphone has it and its made by their direct kindle competitor. I think its a great idea. Companies should stop acting like apple and not allowing certain features not to be available on other devices

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-10 10:35 PM
    I think my over 60 yo eyes would not appreciate me attempting to read on my Bold 9000!
    My 44yo eyes can't stand reading on any computer display, be it PC, iPad, or PlayBook.

No matter how many of these devices I end up owning, I will still use my Kindle. Sure, I will load the kindle app on the PB, but it will not be my primary reading device....
    11-11-10 08:39 AM
    My 44yo eyes can't stand reading on any computer display, be it PC, iPad, or PlayBook.

No matter how many of these devices I end up owning, I will still use my Kindle. Sure, I will load the kindle app on the PB, but it will not be my primary reading device....
    Can you put into words just what it is about using an LCD display, that bothers you? I'm 62 and have been using monitors since 1985. The CRT's bothered my eyes plenty (even the high refresh rate ones), but LCD's of any size work just fine for me. I wish I could understand what it is you Kindlers find so awful about LCD screens. thx!
    11-11-10 09:23 AM
    The Kindle app is free. You just have to pay for most books; there are some free Kindle books. For any non-Kindle device the only book format supported is the Kindle DRM format.
    Last edited by slbailey1; 11-12-10 at 09:45 AM.
    11-12-10 09:41 AM
    The Kindle app is free. You just have to pay for the books.
    I wasn't sure if they were referring to Kindle or the PB, so i refrained from writing the same thing you did.
    11-12-10 09:44 AM
    I read most of a book on my S2 with the Kindle App, and aside from there being 12x the amount of pages, it was very easy to read, and only after I came inside from the beach (the app worked very well even in direct sunlight), did I switch to my laptop and finish reading for the day.
    11-12-10 02:54 PM
    I read most of a book on my S2 with the Kindle App, and aside from there being 12x the amount of pages, it was very easy to read, and only after I came inside from the beach (the app worked very well even in direct sunlight), did I switch to my laptop and finish reading for the day.
    I actually PREFER to read on my touch or BB, over a "real" book. Much lighter, and ambient lighting (or the lack thereof) is never an issue. I hate having to force the pages of some books, flat enough that I can read near the binding.
    11-12-10 08:07 PM
    This is what I thought too (only my eyes are three years younger than yours!), until I tried it. I made the font large enough to fit seven lines on the screen, which is pretty big. The width of the Bold screen is a bit more than a standard newspaper column. The 7 lines per screen is a lot bigger than normal newspaper type, however. I find that I can read for extended periods of time quite easily this way, and it's very ergonomic, just pressing the space bar to advance the "page". I've read a number of entire books on my 8900 and continue to do so on my 9780. I have an actual Kindle device, too.

I didn't expect this to work so well, but on reflection, one of the things that causes eyestrain while reading is horizontal panning to take in each line. This is why typesetters do not typically use lines of type longer than six inches. Consider also that speed-reading methods typically use text specially formatted in narrow columns as training aids. The less horizontal panning you have to do, the faster you can read. I find that when reading on my BB, my eyes take in screenfuls of text at a time, so my reading pace is quite good.

My suggestion: Get the free Kindle app, download a free book or two, and play with the settings and see how you get on. You may be surprised.
    12-12-10 06:01 PM
    Thank you so much for your helpful input. I will take your advice and refrain from purchasing a Kindle and hold out for the Blackberry PlayBook. In the mean time, I'll download the Kindle app and play with reading on my BB Bold 9000.
    Thanks again!
    12-12-10 07:30 PM
    Didn't amazon already say they would have the app ready for when the playbook is released?

12-13-10 06:13 AM
    Didn't amazon already say they would have the app ready for when the playbook is released?

Wonderful, there will be seven more Harry Potter books by that time, lol....
    12-13-10 07:18 AM
    Thank you so much for your helpful input. I will take your advice and refrain from purchasing a Kindle and hold out for the Blackberry PlayBook. In the mean time, I'll download the Kindle app and play with reading on my BB Bold 9000.
    Thanks again!
    We got a Kindle about 6 months ago but since I work from home I haven't used it all - much prefer reading a real (and free from the library!) book over an e-book. That said, you can't compare a kindle to a tablet. They are totally different devices. When it comes to actually sitting down, relaxing, and reading the kindle blows away any other non-e-reader electronic device, because that was what it was designed to do! Sure, it's now got some other internet surfing capabilities, but they are a tiny footnote to it's main purpose. No tablet for the next little while can match an e-ink screen for reading. It's as if you are reading a newspaper. Now, when the technology comes that tablets can switch to an e-ink like screen, that'l be different, but I don't see that for a llllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnngggg ggggggggggggggggg time.
    12-13-10 08:14 AM
    C.... I wish I could understand what it is you Kindlers find so awful about LCD screens. thx!
    I don't find anything awful. I just find that my eyes fatigue far less quickly when reading an e-ink screen than they do when reading on any LCD/PC/Tablet like screen.
    12-13-10 08:41 AM
    mine too jlb21!
    12-13-10 08:57 AM
    I also like that I can read my kindle in bright daylight. Sure, with e-ink you have the non-backlight tradeoff, but that's what my Mighty Bright 2 clip on light is for.....
    12-13-10 09:58 AM
    I've been holding off on getting a Nook Color until I see how the Playbook can be used as an e-reader. I'm assuming there will be a Barnes & Noble, plus a Kindle app available so I can read books purchased from both places.
    Playbook has the same size screen as the Nook Color. But the Nook Color is only $249, and we have no idea what the Playbook price will be yet.
    12-14-10 10:30 AM
    I've been holding off on getting a Nook Color until I see how the Playbook can be used as an e-reader. I'm assuming there will be a Barnes & Noble, plus a Kindle app available so I can read books purchased from both places.
    Playbook has the same size screen as the Nook Color. But the Nook Color is only $249, and we have no idea what the Playbook price will be yet.
    Being able to read books from Amazon and B&N on the same device would be an advantage, if you like to use both sources. I have some B&N books, but I haven't really used that account since getting Kindle. I have some Kobo titles as well. The Playbook could be the most convenient way to shop across sources for the best prices on ebook content.

Of course, if this is all you would want the Playbook for, you could probably get a cheaper Android or Windows tablet that would do the same.
    12-14-10 10:46 AM
    If the Playbook comes in at a $499 or less price point, it would be silly to buy a "cheaper" tablet. The Playbook would be the TOTAL PACKAGE for me!
    12-14-10 11:16 AM
    Being able to read books from Amazon and B&N on the same device would be an advantage, if you like to use both sources. I have some B&N books, but I haven't really used that account since getting Kindle. I have some Kobo titles as well. The Playbook could be the most convenient way to shop across sources for the best prices on ebook content.

Of course, if this is all you would want the Playbook for, you could probably get a cheaper Android or Windows tablet that would do the same.
    That's what I like. The only problem is that it doesn't have a color E-ink screen.
    12-14-10 10:36 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD