So I got home not too long ago.

Plugged my 16GB PB to an outlet, and turned it on. Followed all the prompts carefully, including making sure there was an active wifi network.

It started updating, and I just let it do its thing. Instead of sitting here watching it, I actually went out to buy a burger......no kidding.

Came back, and it walked me through bridging to my 9650 Bold. Everything connected at the first try and is working great. The only thing I cant find is BBM. But I know there is a thread somewhere addressing this issue.

Sympathies to folks having issues with initial setup - you've got to be patient and let it finish doing whatever it is doing. Hurrying it up and not letting it finish updating properly always causes issues. Just saying.

I got mine out of Best Buy...... no rush, no line, no waiting. But they only had the 16GB. Within the next 14 days I will decide if I want to upgrade to the 32GB, as that was what I wanted initially.

Yes.....so far it looks like this long awaited and much anticipated PlayBook is definitely a keeper!

Cheers!!
    Last edited by stubbornswiss; 04-19-11 at 06:02 PM.
    04-19-11 05:04 PM
    Congrats on your purchase. I agree, this is definitely a keeper. But, I don't understand why the browser shuts down unexpectedly. This has happened 3 times since I bought it today!!! Will there be an update for this problem???
    04-19-11 05:16 PM
    i agree! the initial OS download took a little longer than i wanted. but now I've been playing with it for a while and absolutely love it. I wish so many people weren't having issues.

fwiw I got bridge up and running right away on my AT&T torch thanks to the OTA download. it swems like trying to do multiple bridge functions at one time could cause a slowdown. i.e. bridge browser windows open along with scrolling through bridge messages. There is a small lag between when my phone gets a message ad when the PlayBook shows it, but its minimal. Awesome that they talk to each other so well - if i open a "new" message on the PlayBook it does change the message to "read" on the phone.

i am impressed by the speed at which the messages, contacts and bridge files open each time you connect. i wonder if it keeps a cache.
    04-19-11 05:17 PM
    great to read positive thoughts on it after so much analyst hate
    04-19-11 05:21 PM
    great to read positive thoughts on it after so much analyst hate
    Most of that sounds like 'user' error too....
    04-19-11 05:22 PM
    While I was taking my first update, I went from our 8th floor to our ground floor and passed through several wireless routers. I got a pop-up three times about it losing connection (elevator didn't help) but it kept chugging along while downloading the update. I'm impressed. I did have a problem with running them on my own router at work but once I turned on SSID broadcasting, I was okay. Same configuration at home with hidden SSID worked so it must be a work router issue.

Unfortunately, some are having problems but I put it through the ringer already and it came up aces. Needless to say, I did not plug into power or USB while I was doing this and the update took with no problems straight out of the box.
    04-19-11 05:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD