143. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am happy with its size!

107 74.83%
  • 8" with reduced bezel size

31 21.68%
  • 10" I love my screens big!

5 3.50%
    Hi Guys,

I haven't seen this particular area discussed much and thought I'd take the opinion of the very outspoken crackberry crowd.

I was in the market for the playbook (ipad is too big/hefty for my liking) and actually thought of holding out for an LTE playbook for added functionality.

I've been in to the stores multiple times and admired the size and weight and all that it packs in its current form.

Then the stickler in me reared its ugly head. Wouldn't this be the best device ever if it had 1 extra inch in screen real estate and possibly a slightly reduced bezel? (and maybe 1gig extra RAM if RIM is really asking)

10" is too big for many, hence the many customers out there with playbooks and the smaller Galaxy tabs etc.

but I'd like to know am I the only one with the crazy notion that a slightly larger playbook would hit the sweetspot? or would it just mean heading over to a 10" size anyway?

I'm going on and on. Lots of people gonna flame me for asking this, but thought I'd put it out there anyway..

Hope to hear some constructive comments!
    08-15-11 03:00 AM
    I wouldn't of minded if it was the same size but larger screen portion.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-15-11 03:11 AM
    7" is more than enough, its what you do with it that counts!

Oh right we're talking about tablets arent we... I wouldnt want it any bigger myself otherwise it wouldnt be as portable.

One thing i did think is that they could have made the bezels smaller to get a bigger screen in. Not measure it but you could maybe squeeze an 8" in there without losing the bezel swipes.

Still i find the 7" is enough for day to day use and more than enough for web browsing. The nice thing about the size is that it has a high pixel density, so even if text is small on a website its still readable
    PadreTremtU and chiefbroski like this.
    08-15-11 03:16 AM
    I wouldn't of minded if it was the same size but larger screen portion.
    That's what even I was thinking initially, but less probable with all the bezel gestures. Playbook wins hands-down when it comes to portability, but it is oh-so-close to the ultimate tablet.
    PadreTremtU and chrischild like this.
    08-15-11 03:17 AM
    After using two 7" display and playing with my colleague iPads, iPad2, Iconia, Transformer, GTab 10.1, I think I will go to the 8.9" display (LG Optimus Pad/G-Slate or GTab 8.9) for a better size preferences.
    08-15-11 03:27 AM
    I have iPads and PB, PB gets used so much more... Refer to the future...Star Trek Enterprise...they all use what looks like 7" tablets... :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    peter9477 likes this.
    08-15-11 03:32 AM
    I have iPads and PB, PB gets used so much more... Refer to the future...Star Trek Enterprise...they all use what looks like 7" tablets... :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ha ha, nice one! I'd have to agree with Donnee though, with possibly a small size increase (0.4" horizontally and vertically?) we could have had an 8" or slightly larger display area?

would be great if we got more people to vote!
    08-15-11 04:39 AM
    Hmmm... the 8" idea is great. This way we can keep the overall size and get a little more screen space.
    08-15-11 06:17 AM
    Reducing the bezel sounds like a simple idea in theory, but if they reduced it enough to increase the screensize you would have issues with people activating gestures too often by accident.

If they could shrink the bezels slightly I'd take a slightly smaller device so it was a fraction more pocketable rather than a slightly larger screen.
    01itr likes this.
    08-15-11 06:37 AM
    I voted 8 keeping the over all size the same. After all between the size of it and bridge is what made my decision on a purchase, that and the things I've seen on it/it doing that we don't have yet.
    PadreTremtU likes this.
    08-15-11 07:01 AM
    Would you be able to hold it by the edge if the active bezel were moved outward to accommodate more screen space?
    08-15-11 09:10 AM
    I think 7" is higher in demand than 10" is, however the companies that makes tablets are trying to push 10" to the consumers. The only strong selling tablet around that size are the iPads, the Motorola Xoom struggled, the Asus Transformer is doing OK (mostly because of the keyboard dock addition), Acer's tab isn't that great, Samsung's 10.1" just hit the market so too early to say (their 8.9" isn't very popular). Tablets like B&N's Nook Color, Archos and Viewsonic 7" tabs sells like crazy around the globe.
    08-15-11 09:29 AM
    I love the current size. Maybe squeeze some more display area if and ONLY IF it doesn't confound the bezel. Gestures are GREAT!
    08-15-11 11:52 AM
    I think 7" is higher in demand than 10" is, however the companies that makes tablets are trying to push 10" to the consumers.
    As long as 10-inch tablets outsell 7-inch tablets, I don't see how you can argue the demand is greater for the 7-inch.

Tablets like B&N's Nook Color, Archos and Viewsonic 7" tabs sells like crazy around the globe.
    What exactly does "sells like crazy" mean? The Nook Color does fine, but Archos and Viewsonic? Not quite.
    08-15-11 11:59 AM
    I would still have my iPad (64GB, 3G) or upgrade to iPad 2 if BlackBerry didn't go with 7".
    08-15-11 12:05 PM
    The 10" ones I find are too impractical when using them for day-to-day portability (bus, subway, etc). I found myself only using my SGT10.1 when on the VIA train or when at home. I used it a couple of times on the bus but found it too cumbersome to use efficiently, having to hold it at a weird angle so as not to bump other people. I think the PB would be perfect for this scenario.
    08-15-11 12:26 PM
    I love the physical size of the playbook. Now, if it was any way possible to keep it the same size, reduce the bezel and in turn increase the screen size to 8 inches I'd be all for it. Otherwise keep it as is.
    08-15-11 12:34 PM
    I'm fine with a 7" screen. It truly doesn't bother me to haul my playbook around.
    08-15-11 01:05 PM
    for me, 7" is really an ideal size for tablet... but, I guess, at this time, size is not really matter with our playbook... but rather the improvement and completion of PB OS...
    08-15-11 01:15 PM
    Hi Guys,

I haven't seen this particular area discussed much and thought I'd take the opinion of the very outspoken crackberry crowd.

I was in the market for the playbook (ipad is too big/hefty for my liking) and actually thought of holding out for an LTE playbook for added functionality.

I've been in to the stores multiple times and admired the size and weight and all that it packs in its current form.

Then the stickler in me reared its ugly head. Wouldn't this be the best device ever if it had 1 extra inch in screen real estate and possibly a slightly reduced bezel? (and maybe 1gig extra RAM if RIM is really asking)

10" is too big for many, hence the many customers out there with playbooks and the smaller Galaxy tabs etc.

but I'd like to know am I the only one with the crazy notion that a slightly larger playbook would hit the sweetspot? or would it just mean heading over to a 10" size anyway?

I'm going on and on. Lots of people gonna flame me for asking this, but thought I'd put it out there anyway..

Hope to hear some constructive comments!
    I like the physical size and would not change it - however I see no reason for the HDTV aspect ratio on the display unless you want to use it primarily as a movie player. For web surfing and all other things that most people use it for most often, I'd like to see more vertical space in landscape orientation(at the sacrifice of bezel area), so I don't have to scroll so much and can see more at once. Switching to portrait for this makes the fonts too small and adds need for constant pinch zooming. Especially bad when the keyboard pops up and covers what little vertical space you have ( in landscape).
    08-15-11 07:00 PM
    I think the size for me is just right. Voted the same. Not interested in a 10er, and 7 or 8? No difference.
    08-15-11 07:56 PM
    I like the physical size and would not change it - however I see no reason for the HDTV aspect ratio on the display unless you want to use it primarily as a movie player. For web surfing and all other things that most people use it for most often, I'd like to see more vertical space in landscape orientation(at the sacrifice of bezel area), so I don't have to scroll so much and can see more at once. Switching to portrait for this makes the fonts too small and adds need for constant pinch zooming. Especially bad when the keyboard pops up and covers what little vertical space you have ( in landscape).
    That's an interesting point and something I didn't really consider. maybe a 4:3 aspect ratio would have been an ideal choice considering it is being promoted as a professional grade tablet. 16:9 is all about the media. But I guess in essence it would still mean that the device proportions would change (considering equal bezel area on all sides)?

Would be great to get more votes in!
    08-16-11 12:09 AM
    I think 7" is the perfect size for a tablet, any larger and you may as well get an ultra-book laptop which is going to have comparably MUCH better performance.

I love the Playbook's design, the biggest thing I think the need to work on is shrinking the bezel and the over all length/width of the device. I don't think it needs to be any thinner, and I love the front facing speakers, but I think they can shrink the bezel with subsequent models.

After that, I'd like to see them include expandable memory and SDx support on future models, bigger battery, expanded Bridge capabilities, the ability to make and recieve calls, LTE, and a cup holder -though I can live with out that last one...
    08-16-11 02:05 AM
    That's an interesting point and something I didn't really consider. maybe a 4:3 aspect ratio would have been an ideal choice considering it is being promoted as a professional grade tablet. 16:9 is all about the media. But I guess in essence it would still mean that the device proportions would change (considering equal bezel area on all sides)?

Would be great to get more votes in!
    Glad you see the point and I agree - it is less of a media tab and more of a professional tab to me. Although it may look odd - I see no functional reason for equal size bezels...I think the utility would outweigh the weirdness. If it is important.

I think top and bottom bezeling may be less less important since the sides really should be used for scrolling, which is done more in landscape orientation than in portrait.

However maybe even more portable by reducing the long dimension. Although it fits in a pocket - it is a little long to fit comfortably.

I think the poll choice: 8" with reduced bezel size - may be a bit confusing and therefore not as many votes as it deserves - I assumed you meant maintain the physical size but increase the display area. They probably would have, but it would add cost for the larger display and therefore non competitive and lower profit margin. Glad they didn't sacrifice the display quality for larger displays like on other tabs, because the contrast and clarity simply does not compare.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 08-16-11 at 04:43 AM.
    08-16-11 04:37 AM
    I think 7" is the perfect size for a tablet, any larger and you may as well get an ultra-book laptop which is going to have comparably MUCH better performance.

I love the Playbook's design, the biggest thing I think the need to work on is shrinking the bezel and the over all length/width of the device. I don't think it needs to be any thinner, and I love the front facing speakers, but I think they can shrink the bezel with subsequent models.

After that, I'd like to see them include expandable memory and SDx support on future models, bigger battery, expanded Bridge capabilities, the ability to make and recieve calls, LTE, and a cup holder -though I can live with out that last one...
    I hope you mean enlarging the display rather than shrinking the bezel - it's already about as small as I can take. Any much smaller and we're back to a phone.
    08-16-11 04:39 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD