Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a BlackBerry Playbook, and I was planning to connect to the internet via my BlackBerry Curve, but after speaking to Orange, and learning about their tethering prices, I don't think this is an option!

So, if I just buy a regular 8GB Playbook, will it come with a Sim card slot. And if it does, would I be able to put a 3G sim card into it to use the internet? Or, are there any other better solutions??

Many thanks for your help,

bostockm.
    03-11-12 03:39 AM
    If you use the bridge app on your curve, I don't believe that there would be any additional fee if you're already paying for your blackberry service, so you should be fine on that front. If you have a data limit though, you might want to keep an eye on your usage.

The smallest playbook version available is the 16gig version by the way.

There isn't a pb released with a simple card slot as yet, although this is expected fairly shortly- you'll probably hear about it here on crackberry before anywhere else, so stay tuned!
    03-11-12 03:47 AM
    So would BlackBerry Bridge allow me to connect to the internet on my PlayBook?

Many thanks for your help.
    03-11-12 04:13 AM
    Yes the bridge will allow you to connect with the net on your Playbook.
    03-11-12 04:30 AM
    Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a BlackBerry Playbook, and I was planning to connect to the internet via my BlackBerry Curve, but after speaking to Orange, and learning about their tethering prices, I don't think this is an option!

So, if I just buy a regular 8GB Playbook, will it come with a Sim card slot. And if it does, would I be able to put a 3G sim card into it to use the internet? Or, are there any other better solutions??

Many thanks for your help,

bostockm.

I have a nice cellphone plan which includes bridge /tethering on my BB Curve 9360 and just love it. Use it all the time.
    03-11-12 04:52 AM
    Also, will it allow connection to the Facebook and Twitter applications?

Many thanks for all your help.
    03-11-12 04:54 AM
    MAke sure your curve has 3g capabilities. Otherwise you'll be browsing at EDGE speed...
    03-11-12 05:06 AM
    PlayBook does not come with sim slot..

I use my pb all the time on 3g via bridge.. All apps work except that app world requires wifi
    03-11-12 05:12 AM
    if I just buy a regular 8GB Playbook, will it come with a Sim card slot. Click to view quoted image
    There is no such thing as an 8GB Playbook, it starts with 16GB, followed by 32GB, and 64GB. Presently there is no SIM slot on any Playbook either, but who knows what the next generation Playbook might feature! Stay tuned, CrackBerry.com will be your first confirmed source for any FUTURE models of the BlackBerry Playbook...
    03-11-12 06:23 AM
    Also something you want to consider, your Blackberry Curve might not have 3G so tethering may not be very fast...

- Charles
    03-11-12 09:00 AM
    You will also NEED wifi for the initial setup of the pb - it gets the most recent OS using wifi.

I don't know your carrier but I have unlimited data and can share that with the pb using the Bridge app on the bbphone. In the US, AT&T does not like the Bridge and tried to charge a tethering fee but there is a workaround. So, again, carrier policies are the key to your use/cost.
    03-11-12 10:47 AM
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for this. Don't know if anyone can tell me, but if I am connected without wifi and using BB Bridge, can I still use the native email on the PlayBook.

Thanks everyone for all your comments and advice!

Bostockm.
    03-11-12 11:05 AM
    You send emails on your playbook using a messages window that comes up when you are connected....being bridged opens up a number of icons on the front screen of the PB.

Any emails you compose on the Playbook native email will be sent as soon as you are back on WiFi.

Any sent Bridge emails will appear in your phone outbox.
    Last edited by Bluemoonjules; 03-11-12 at 11:21 AM.
    03-11-12 11:18 AM
    Thanks for this. So would you reccommend that I just use the bridged email, to save confusion? I always have my smartphone with me, so loosing connection shouldn't be a problem.
    03-11-12 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD