Hello, I'm wanting to play an online browser based game on my Playbook.. the only problem is I get the error "Your java version is too old". How can I upgrade to Java 1.6 Update 10? (thats what I need to play it) thanks for any help, and I only got my playbook today so I have very little information on it.
    10-27-11 12:44 PM
    Hello, I'm wanting to play an online browser based game on my Playbook.. the only problem is I get the error "Your java version is too old". How can I upgrade to Java 1.6 Update 10? (thats what I need to play it) thanks for any help, and I only got my playbook today so I have very little information on it.
    Are you sure that was the exact wording of the error? PlayBook's browser doesn't support Java at all so updates are not possible.
    10-27-11 12:49 PM
    Are you sure that was the exact wording of the error? PlayBook's browser doesn't support Java at all so updates are not possible.
    I wasn't meaning the Playbook gave that error, the site gave that error in place of the applet, so does this mean Java browser based games are a no? I wasn't too sure, I only got it today.
    10-27-11 12:54 PM
    I wasn't meaning the Playbook gave that error, the site gave that error in place of the applet, so does this mean Java browser based games are a no? I wasn't too sure, I only got it today.
    PB = no Java = no joy.. I can't access my favourite crossword puzzle on the Globe and Mail site
    10-27-11 01:42 PM
    Actually the PB browser can run javaScript. I have connected to a web site that uses jChem (a java based tool for use on the web) to display and draw chemical structures. It works fine albeit sort of slow. If you go into the browser options, under content, you can turn javascript on and off. What version the Browser uses I have no idea. Some web sites check others don't. I suspect that the games web site identifies the PB as a something with limited capabilities. Doesn't correctly ID the browser because their browsercap.ini file is out of date. Somewhere you should be able to find a lengthy discussion of this in these forums which I wrote if you are interested. This is probably why some sites think the PB is a mobile phone.
    10-27-11 05:41 PM
    Go here to test and list out the full capabilities of the PB Browser.

Testing, please wait...
    10-27-11 05:50 PM
    Java and JavaScript are two completely different languages, the only similarity is the syntax in the languages. Just because you can run JavaScript, it doesn't mean you will be able to run Java, by any means.
    10-27-11 05:50 PM
    Go here to test and list out the full capabilities of the PB Browser.

Testing, please wait...
    Interestingly enough, under "Java Information" the tool indicates that "JavaApplets" are supported but that "JavaEnabled" is "Disabled".

Since there is no way to enable Java in browser settings, it is safe to say that it is not going to be possible to play Java games, notwithstanding the spurious value for the "JavaApplet" capability - PB has no Java support at all.

I am a Java programmer and it would be really nice to have a fully supported Standard Edition Java Virtual Machine (JRE) on board. It would have to be "full-blown Java because the mobile version of Java (J2ME) that is installed on BB smart phones would not be sufficient to run the Java applets that the OP is referring to.
    10-27-11 06:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD