I am researching a Playbook for my husband for Fathers Day. We live in the country and do not have wifi access. We each have a Storm through Verizon. I see that it is possible to access the internet on the Playbook via blackberry bridge app. I don't want to get this for him with no way to access the internet while at home and be functional. My question is can you download files to the playbook via this connection or only through a wifi? I would like him to be able to download music and movies and whatever right to the Playbook without having to pay to tether.

Also for those whom have used the browser via blackberry bridge is it really slow?
    05-10-11 11:50 AM
    When you say you do not have wifi, do you mean you do not have internet service to a computer either from dsl or cable modem? I'm not that much of an expert but the bridge functions can be somewhat limited. I'm not sure you can even use Appworld (free and pay for apps) without wifi. Of course, you can occasionally hit starbucks or similar place (library) with wifi.

The Bridge browser browses what you phone can do. It can be a slow.

Wait for others' opinions....

But that is one nice father's day present.
    05-10-11 12:16 PM
    We live in the country and have no dsl or wireless internet connection at all at home. I do tether my blackberry for my laptop and husband occassionally uses it. I don't want to tether another phone if not necessary. The Playbook would be a toy for him, and I'm not sure the added tethering expense would be worth it.
    05-10-11 12:30 PM
    Also the Playbook requires a WiFi connection for the initial setup. As F2 said above, you may want to wait.
    05-10-11 12:30 PM
    Also the Playbook requires a WiFi connection for the initial setup. As F2 said above, you may want to wait.
    We can use a wifi connection for the inital set up in town at my sisters. I just want him to be able to download music or files through the bridge that is my main concern/question.
    05-10-11 12:45 PM
    Hmm...i never downloaded a file/music through bridge but I can guess it would be SLOW as bridge is already slow with email and bbm. Rememeber, bridge is very limited to the device your bridging too. It's not a full web experience like wifi/tethering.

Other things you can do is probably wait for a new BB/or get a new phone that supports wifi hotspot or verizon offers mifi hotspot.
    Last edited by narci; 05-10-11 at 01:03 PM.
    05-10-11 01:00 PM
    Thanks . . . I could tether his current phone or get the mifi . . .all adding cost which I was trying to avoid but is becoming inevitable.
    05-10-11 01:02 PM
    You do have internet capability through a computer at your home, don't you?
    If so, all you have to do is download the music to the computer, hook up your playbook via usb cable, drag and drop the downloaded music from computer to the playbook. Instant music on the playbook!
    05-10-11 02:09 PM
    If you would like to have a good broadband connection at home you might do some research as to what's available in your area. My wife and I life out in the woods and get our internet via a microwave link from a mountain top about 12 miles away. $50/month and the better bandwidth than I ever had in the city.
    05-10-11 02:16 PM
    1. Buy tether and connect to a laptop.
    2. With the laptop, download conectify (only works with windows seven)
    3. Be happy with an unblocked access (But slow) Playbook.
    05-10-11 02:19 PM
    On its own, bridge is now. The only function is as abigger screen for email. So much for the hype.
    05-10-11 06:05 PM
    On its own, bridge is slow. The only function is as abigger screen for email. So much for the hype.
    05-10-11 06:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD