Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Post playbook hdmi vs vga

This is probably a stupid question I don't know much about computer but is there any other way I could watch my playbook through the tv even if my hdmi port
    is broken Is there another plug out there that you could use from the port that you charge your playbook and make it through the vga instead or go through
    your laptop go to tv ?

Global Posts
    5,869 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

It would be painful, but possible.

I'm not sure if there's a direct microHDMI-to-VGA cable out there (though these days it wouldn't surprise me), but very, VERY likely you can go with this:

1) male microHDMI to female (full) HDMI

2) male HDMI to VGA

Two problems: VGA isn't digital, so you'd lose some picture quality. Second, HDMI carries audio along with the video, so you'd be depending on the Playbook's audio for whatever it is you're watching. You would likely have to fiddle with the HDMI settings to get that to work, too.
    CrackBerry Abuser

If hdmi to vga works and you want audio to come out of your tv speakers, you'll also need a 3.5mm cable to hook up to the headphone port on PB and then connect other end to your audio in on TV.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by manon viau View Post
    This is probably a stupid question I don't know much about computer but is there any other way I could watch my playbook through the tv even if my hdmi port
    is broken Is there another plug out there that you could use from the port that you charge your playbook and make it through the vga instead or go through
    your laptop go to tv ?
    Sounds like bad news. The only thing you would be able to stream are the files you have stored in your PlayBook via usb or wireless file sharing.

Wouldn't it be better to have your PlayBook fixed?
    CrackBerry Abuser

They have converter s for this purpose. Just Google Hdmi to VGA. I was looking for something similar and stumbled upon those during the search.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,186 Global Posts

The microHDMI port is broken on his Playbook. HDMI to VGA converters aren't going to work.
    There is no way to stream through the USB port.
    Z30, Nexus 4, Kobo Arc 64GB, Playbook 16GB
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: playbook hdmi vs vga

digital to analogue(hdmi to vga) is not possible with just a cable, you need vga box for that. check amazon for it.
    OP, with usb port, its not possible.
    CrackBerry Abuser

i know he cant use this but for reference, i have this adapter:
    Amazon.com: Cable Matters Gold Plated Premium Micro HDMI to VGA M/F Active Adapter: Electronics
    and it works perfectly fine on my dell 24" monitor.
    Sent from my Blackberry Z10/Playbook
    CrackBerry User

I second the Cable Matters purchase.. I have the microhdmi to vga and it works flawlessly on both computer monitors and Lcd projectors. Obviously no audio but a great option. I think I paid $12.00 for my microhdmi to vga and $15.00 for my microhdmi to hdmi cables, amazon for both purchases. Doesn't help the guy who began this string but might help others thinking about expanding the 7" screen
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

The hp hdmi to vga works great for me, the same is made by startech. If you search my posts from last year I posted some links and part numbers. Of course you need a working hdmi on the playbook for this to work.

Global Posts
    5,869 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

The impression I had from the OP's post was that it was the HDMI on his TV that was fried, but maybe I misread that.