http://techd.in/gadgets/rim-blackberry-playbook-to-have-8-hours-battery-life/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-11 10:40 PM
    Sort of old news, but I know the PB will have a good battery once optimized.
    01-15-11 11:53 PM
    it's "supposed" to. we will find out soon enough it it "will".
    01-15-11 11:54 PM
    Considering that big 10" ipad is 90% battery inside with 10 hours of playtime and the PlayBook is about 65% smaller with battery optimized for 8 hours, imagine how long a 10" PlayBook battery would last.
    01-16-11 02:06 AM
    The playbook may get 10 hours, but all I can say is my iPad consistently gets 12 hours on a single charge.

I'm anxious to see the real world reviews of the playbook. In my experience, battery life is always exagerrated.
    01-16-11 03:20 AM
    For the PB I would have been happy with six hours, since it's just an addition to my BB and not the primary means of communication. Eight hours is very, very good for me.
    Had the iPad supported Flash, I would have hought it. But because His iHoliness has some sort of hizzy fit going with Adobe, I didn't get it. PB turns out to be a better choice - portability and Flash.

01-16-11 05:01 AM
    The playbook may get 10 hours, but all I can say is my iPad consistently gets 12 hours on a single charge.
    My wife's ipad does as well. Granted she isn't a heavy user.

I am always skeptical of battery life descriptions because, with smartphones and tablets alike, it is soooooo subjective. I bet most of these devices can be charged, set on a coffee table and left all day and 10, 12, 14 hours later it still has a charge. For us consumers its difficult to count on intellectual honesty because we don't know what the lab testing conditions were and each of us have different standards and expectations.

I would like to see lab tests with conditions imposed. There isn't an industry standard and I wish there was one. For example, load the device down with video play and tell the consumer how long it can play continuous movies. Good stress test; it also really communicates more to the consumer. Tell John Q public the playbook sports "8 hours of battery life" and find after 1hr 45min you have a battery warning icon flashing and you leave the consumer feeling deceived.

Last edited by kb5zht; 01-16-11 at 05:58 AM.
    01-16-11 05:56 AM
    I think it's hilarious how those who claim not to be interested in battery life are suddenly interested in the Playbook's battery life. These are the same robots who say they can always be close to a power source and who ridicule battery life as a consideration on a phone.

So battery life is not an issue on a primary communication device but it suddenly is important on a tablet which is not a primary communication device? Hypocritical robots.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 01-16-11 at 07:07 AM.
    01-16-11 06:30 AM
    Hey how many hours battery life will the PB get crowd. Get a Frickin LIFE! It will get what it gets. And the type of things you do with it will greatly vary that life. Music w/o screen will be a long life, 1080p video, not as much! Anyone want to tell me the last time they used an ipad for 10 hours straight within a chance to recharge it? I've got an ipad, and the battey never gets below 80% because I use it for a couple hours at a time and then it's back on a charger until I use it again. I expect, the same for the PB so don't fret if it's 8 or 10 hours!
    01-16-11 09:15 AM
    My wife's ipad does as well. Granted she isn't a heavy user.

ah, she does a lot of cardio workouts and eats right, eh?
    01-16-11 10:02 AM
    Hey how many hours battery life will the PB get crowd. Get a Frickin LIFE! It will get what it gets. And the type of things you do with it will greatly vary that life. Music w/o screen will be a long life, 1080p video, not as much! Anyone want to tell me the last time they used an ipad for 10 hours straight within a chance to recharge it? I've got an ipad, and the battey never gets below 80% because I use it for a couple hours at a time and then it's back on a charger until I use it again. I expect, the same for the PB so don't fret if it's 8 or 10 hours!
    actually, you've got that wrong. GAMES are the biggest drain on a battery--NOT watching video. take at look at the specs for the touch for gaming vs video--gaming cuts the time in about HALF.
    01-16-11 10:04 AM
    If it get's 8hrs of good real world usage and not just playing some music then that's plenty. That's pretty much a work day and in the US that should be enough to last you on a flight from coast to coast.

The 10hr+ bragging from Apple doesn't mean much to me. I can't see myself on the thing for 10hrs a day.
    01-16-11 10:59 AM
    If it get's 8hrs of good real world usage and not just playing some music then that's plenty. That's pretty much a work day and in the US that should be enough to last you on a flight from coast to coast.

The 10hr+ bragging from Apple doesn't mean much to me. I can't see myself on the thing for 10hrs a day.
    Agreed.

If the playbook gives me 8 hours of real world use before it dies I will be very satisfied. Most of my battery drainage comes from listening to webstream music (I don't play many games but chess).

If I get 8 hours of web browsing I will feel satisfied as well. Like others previously posted, I am not that far from a charging source anyway. That's why I don't care about battery life on my smartphone (tho I don't buy RIM ceo's claim that
    Is why they are avoiding a faster processor)

We shall see guys. Very soon. One thing that strikes me funny is knowing that, for once , the iphone fan boys and droid dorks will be wrong when they all jump in the forums after March 31 and start trashing the playbook as "inferior" to their chosen company's product.

Last edited by kb5zht; 01-16-11 at 11:43 AM.
    01-16-11 11:39 AM
    I'm not implying that 8 hours of battery life is a bad thing, I just compare it to other products on the market. Since I own an ipad, I compare it to that.

The playbook is an interesting product and everyone who plans on purchasing one will do their due diligence and try to buy the Product that best fits their needs.

No offense, but bb diehards tend to get upset anytime someone compares an apple product to a bb. I like bb. I like some apple products. We are not allowed to discuss the comparisons? Wow!

FYI- I plan on looking at the playbook very hard when released. Im in the market for another tablet. The whole plan was to give my iPad to my significant other. Seems perfectly acceptable for me to compare a new product to something I already own.
    01-16-11 01:01 PM
    If you do a search on "best of show" at CES and read about xoom vs. playbook, you'll find some articals that say the playbook is being described as having a six hour battery life. Not sure under what conditions but this is along side of motorola xoom's "10 hours of battery life".
    01-16-11 01:06 PM
    To be honest it's not fair to compare the ipad vs the playbook in battery life. Yes the PB is smaller but it also has dual cores and also less room for a larger battery. So if a dual core with less room tablet is just 2-3 hrs less than the iPad, I'd have to say that's pretty dern good.

Comparing the PB to the Galaxy Tab would be better but I don't think the Tab has a dual core so it's still not exactly a 1:1.
    01-16-11 01:07 PM
    What they said was that they were aiming for at least 8 hours of usable battery life. Usable meaning you're actually using the device. Judging by RIM's history, I doubt that would be 8 hours of music, more likely to be 8 hours of playing a game and watching a 1080p movie, but they haven't optimized the battery yet, so nobody actually knows!!! Either way, even if it's just 8 hours of web browsing, can you honestly say that you will actually USE a tablet that much??? Even if you would, and that is the battery life, you can buy a car charger, and judging by RIM's history you'll see several OS updates, most of which improve the battery a little, so that by the time the 3G Playbook comes out they'll have 10-12 hours of usable battery life. But once again, THIS IS ALL SPECULATION!!!
    01-16-11 04:59 PM
    Either way, even if it's just 8 hours of web browsing, can you honestly say that you will actually USE a tablet that much???
    Yes.

Even if you would, and that is the battery life, you can buy a car charger
    ...which is not much use if there is nowhere to plug it in.

and judging by RIM's history you'll see several OS updates, most of which improve the battery a little, so that by the time the 3G Playbook comes out they'll have 10-12 hours of usable battery life. But once again, THIS IS ALL SPECULATION!!!
    Well let's hope so.
    01-18-11 08:25 AM
    The iPad is listed as providing 10hrs of constant use while watching videos but gets more in reality. The Playbook has a significantly smaller screen and a 5300 mAh battery compared to the 6500 mAh battery in the iPad and to top it all the dual core processors are meant to be a lot more power efficient than the single core processors and yet RIM are shooting for just 8hrs usage, which seems very low given the above.

When they made the announcement I was hoping for battery life specs that would blow everyone out of the water - 16+ hrs but unfortunately what they are aiming for is barely passable for a tablet.

I'm looking for a tablet to travel light with not a tablet to sit on a coffee table - I may as well get a Netbook or a or use my Laptop for that. From previous experience of travelling for several months with just a phone and later also with a very small tablet I think that something between 6.5" and 7" would be about right for me but decent battery life is a must and I think that 8hrs normal usage is at the low end of acceptability. We'll have to see exactly what RIM think normal usage is.
    01-18-11 08:56 AM
    Does anybody listen to CNET's Buzz Out Loud podcast? One of them made a comment about the PlayBook's battery getting extremely hot, or at least surprisingly warm. Anybody else heard anything about that from Kevin or anyone else?
    01-18-11 12:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD