I know we have all tried GPS applications on our playbooks but now BB10 is not coming is there anyway possible that a developer can modify one of the GPS navigation apps to allow it to stay on when using it on the playbook???

Please
    07-21-13 10:10 AM
    Although that would be awesome, I think the devs are going to concentrate on the BB10 devices when it comes to the more advanced apps.
    07-21-13 11:14 AM
    I know we have all tried GPS applications on our playbooks but now BB10 is not coming is there anyway possible that a developer can modify one of the GPS navigation apps to allow it to stay on when using it on the playbook???

Please
    You can try contacting them using their support link in bbworld. There's another recent discussion of Navigator and whether it stays ON or not.
    07-21-13 11:30 AM
    You know I was just thinking the same today.

Prior to TH bursting our bubble and telling us that BB10 wasn't coming to the PlayBook I had emailed the Dev of Mireo don't panic and he said he was going to release it for the PlayBook when BB10 arrived.

Perhaps he would consider converting the BB10 version for the PlayBook? I don't know how much work would be needed and if it's easy to convert but it wouldn't harm to ask. I'll send him an email and will post the reply.

Posted via CB10 & my Z10
    07-21-13 11:38 AM
    You know I was just thinking the same today.

Prior to TH bursting our bubble and telling us that BB10 wasn't coming to the PlayBook I had emailed the Dev of Mireo don't panic and he said he was going to release it for the PlayBook when BB10 arrived.

Perhaps he would consider converting the BB10 version for the PlayBook? I don't know how much work would be needed and if it's easy to convert but it wouldn't harm to ask. I'll send him an email and will post the reply.

Posted via CB10 & my Z10
    Let us know what kind of reply you get.
    07-21-13 11:48 AM

Please
    I hope that the some of the developers don't give up and makes the GPS fully functional. I mean functional that is convenient so it would be worth using.
    07-21-13 02:20 PM
    I have been trying to get the developer of Nautical Charts to update his app so it will stay on. When I used it last year, I am sure it stayed on. But since then there have been several "updates" so it will run under BB10. There is now an option to have app stay on. But it clearly states that it only will work with BB10 or later OSs. This was going to be one of my main uses for the abandoned PB, but not really usable unless it will stay awake.
    07-21-13 03:49 PM
    I hope that the some of the developers don't give up and makes the GPS fully functional. I mean functional that is convenient so it would be worth using.
    I use the PlayBook GPS with Magellan often. It is fully functional and convenient as far as I can tell. Much easier to enter an address compared to the Nav unit that came with my car. This 5$ app is a bargain compared to the 200$ Audi wants for the updated map disk for the Nav unit. The screen timeout can be annoying but a swipe wakes it and probably saves a good deal of battery juice.
    07-21-13 05:42 PM
    Hi guys,

Reply from Mireo below:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the feedback.

We are disappointed as well that BB has decided not to updgrade the PlayBook.

We'll certainly discuss the subject at our next dev meeting after the summer holidays.

Kindest regards,

Joe
    Mireo Support

Posted via CB10 & my Z10
    07-22-13 06:37 AM
    Hi guys,

Reply from Mireo below:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the feedback.

We are disappointed as well that BB has decided not to updgrade the PlayBook.

We'll certainly discuss the subject at our next dev meeting after the summer holidays.

Kindest regards,

Joe
    Mireo Support

Posted via CB10 & my Z10
    That's great that at least they are going to discuss the possibility.
    07-22-13 07:29 AM
    Does anyone know of any Android app that can keep the screen on??
    07-22-13 10:15 AM
    There are several free ones in the Google play store including one with the name Keep Screen On. Haven't tried any of them on my N7. Suppose you could find them on Amazon and elsewhere.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-22-13 11:26 AM
    If it's for a playbook then there is an app called StayOn in BlackBerry World. I've downloaded it but haven't tested it yet.

Posted via CB10 & my Z10
    07-22-13 11:49 AM
    Guys it might be a good idea to let Mireo know that there are a lot of people out there who would like to see a proper navigation app come to the PlayBook.

Those who would like to see the app come to the PlayBook should send a quick email to the developer and let them know that.

The developer's email is below:

[email protected]

Posted via CB10 & my Z10
    07-22-13 11:55 AM
    If it's for a playbook then there is an app called StayOn in BlackBerry World. I've downloaded it but haven't tested it yet.
    Stay on works, with a caveat. In order to keep your PB alive, the app (Stay On) must be visible. Thus, the app you want to keep alive cannot be running full screen. The pic shows Osmand running in the center with Stay On running to the left. With both apps running like this, the PB will not time out.

Playbook GPS navigation-img_20130554.jpg
    FF22 likes this.
    07-22-13 12:42 PM
    Battery Guru also has a stay awake feature but it has the same visibility requirement described above for Stay On. The only solution at this point if you want is to tap the screen at intervals. If the PB is in a fixed position in your car or boat you might contrive some sort of Rube Goldberg tapping apparatus to do that job for you.
    07-22-13 03:49 PM