I don't get it how you guys get gps fix in under 15 seconds. Will you mind saying what apps do you use???? It would be great gelp for us it it works.
    I suppose it depends on what you want to use the gps for. I use mine with a marine navigation app. But you wouldn't want that. There are several gps test apps - maybe start with one of those. Gps Tester (2 with that name) and GPS Data Master. They should get you a position fix.

The gps in the wifi Playbook has nothing to do with wifi or cell networks. It is a stand alone gps and it can only determine your location from the gps satellites. As stated in several posts above, this can take some time the first time around. Phones and some single purpose gps have other ways of getting a preliminary estimate of where you are and therefore lock on quicker. Once the Playbook has locked on once, it should be able to do it much quicker when using the same app. If you switch apps, it may again be slow first time.

Don't even try indoors - it won't work.
    11-27-12 10:32 PM
    I suppose it depends on what you want to use the gps for. I use mine with a marine navigation app. But you wouldn't want that. There are several gps test apps - maybe start with one of those. Gps Tester (2 with that name) and GPS Data Master. They should get you a position fix.

The gps in the wifi Playbook has nothing to do with wifi or cell networks. It is a stand alone gps and it can only determine your location from the gps satellites. As stated in several posts above, this can take some time the first time around. Phones and some single purpose gps have other ways of getting a preliminary estimate of where you are and therefore lock on quicker. Once the Playbook has locked on once, it should be able to do it much quicker when using the same app. If you switch apps, it may again be slow first time.

I have been using the very same apps that you have recomended - GPS Data Master, GPS Test.... The problem still persists. Thanks for letting me know that Playbook GPS works without internet. And i've already stated that i dont try it indoors. I try. Still it takes forever to lock up my location.
    11-27-12 10:46 PM

By the way, which app do you use for marine navigation?
    11-27-12 10:48 PM
    I don't get it how you guys get gps fix in under 15 seconds. Will you mind saying what apps do you use???? It would be great gelp for us it it works.
    Warm start times for GPS can be quite swift, if you've previously and recently had a good lock from using GPS, and are still in much the same location.

Cold starts normally take a more significant time - that's why thinks like A-GPS and other network / signal type assistance can very much help in speeding up acquiring times, and help maintain / reduce the time / freqeuncy of lack of location.
    11-28-12 03:48 AM
    By the way, which app do you use for marine navigation?
    It's called GPS Nautical Charts - available in App world for various areas. Some say it will only work for one year, but that may be for phones accessing charts. For PB it downloads the charts to your PB so unless the app self destructs after 12 months can't see why it will stop working.

Last night after I said it wouldn't work indoors, I tried it again in a different location. I got a lock using 5 different apps (The two gps testers, Nautical charts, Bing and Poynz (which even found my street address!). But this morning it won't lock on indoors - It is a cold cloudy snowy day, so that may make a difference.
    11-28-12 12:35 PM
    I did some testing today with the same suite of apps. What I found:

- From a cold start (PB switched off) in car it took almost 2 min to get a fix while driving (using GPS Data Master).
    - Once one app had got a fix, the other apps obtained fixes immediately.
    - Indoors is hit or miss. Right this moment, I got a fix after turning unit on after I cam home a few minutes ago.

So it seems that the PB retains GPS fix data regardless of which app obtained the fix. But, it doesn't seem to retain that data if PB is turned off.

GPS output in GPS Data Master seems a bit inaccurate. It says my desk is moving at 2.5 km/hr! It actually reads out accuracy - at moment says fix is only within 45ft. Most stand alone GPSs will do much better than that.

Nevertheless, the gps does work and for me, the Nautical app was a great find.
    11-28-12 04:11 PM
31 12