- 11-27-2012, 10:32 PM #26
The gps in the wifi Playbook has nothing to do with wifi or cell networks. It is a stand alone gps and it can only determine your location from the gps satellites. As stated in several posts above, this can take some time the first time around. Phones and some single purpose gps have other ways of getting a preliminary estimate of where you are and therefore lock on quicker. Once the Playbook has locked on once, it should be able to do it much quicker when using the same app. If you switch apps, it may again be slow first time.
Don't even try indoors - it won't work.
- CrackBerry Abuser
- 279 Posts
- CrackBerry Addict
11-28-2012, 03:48 AM #29
- 792 Posts
Cold starts normally take a more significant time - that's why thinks like A-GPS and other network / signal type assistance can very much help in speeding up acquiring times, and help maintain / reduce the time / freqeuncy of lack of location.
- 11-28-2012, 12:35 PM #30
Last night after I said it wouldn't work indoors, I tried it again in a different location. I got a lock using 5 different apps (The two gps testers, Nautical charts, Bing and Poynz (which even found my street address!). But this morning it won't lock on indoors - It is a cold cloudy snowy day, so that may make a difference.
- 11-28-2012, 04:11 PM #31
I did some testing today with the same suite of apps. What I found:
- From a cold start (PB switched off) in car it took almost 2 min to get a fix while driving (using GPS Data Master).
- Once one app had got a fix, the other apps obtained fixes immediately.
- Indoors is hit or miss. Right this moment, I got a fix after turning unit on after I cam home a few minutes ago.
So it seems that the PB retains GPS fix data regardless of which app obtained the fix. But, it doesn't seem to retain that data if PB is turned off.
GPS output in GPS Data Master seems a bit inaccurate. It says my desk is moving at 2.5 km/hr! It actually reads out accuracy - at moment says fix is only within 45ft. Most stand alone GPSs will do much better than that.
Nevertheless, the gps does work and for me, the Nautical app was a great find.
- By Kevin Michaluk in forum BlackBerry PlayBookReplies: 80Last Post: 07-29-2013, 10:20 AM
- By MrVoodoo in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 2Last Post: 05-21-2008, 12:44 PM
- By marculos in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xxReplies: 1Last Post: 02-20-2008, 12:32 PM
- By stuka75 in forum BlackBerry Pearl 81xxReplies: 0Last Post: 02-01-2008, 06:07 PM
- By Firefishe in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 10Last Post: 11-13-2007, 09:29 PM