Playbook ahs been working well for months, but last few days has been getting pretty warm and the battery drains fast, will go form 90% to 25% in 8 hours with wifi and bluetooth off.

Anyone else having similar problems?
    02-08-13 12:44 PM
    That 90-25% is in standby?
    Because the PB is getting warm I would think some process is using power. The Battery Guru app would show that.

Some things that come to mind -
    Native email set to manual sync. Set to any time interval
    Leaving the browser open and on some sites. YouTube for example kills my battery when left open in standby.
    A misbehaving app. Did you sideload anything recently?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-08-13 01:28 PM
    Playbook ahs been working well for months, but last few days has been getting pretty warm and the battery drains fast, will go form 90% to 25% in 8 hours with wifi and bluetooth off.

I had a similar issue with my 9790 about 6 months ago; my phone suddenly started to get hot and the battery drained down to 10% in about 45 minutes. It took me, my carrier and RIM a couple of days to figure out what was going on, it turned out it was a corrupt MP3 file. Have you added any audio or video files recently? If so, try deleting and see if that solves your issues.
    02-08-13 01:42 PM

Since battery is rated at 19.95 watt-hours 65% use in 8 hours would be an average power consumption of 1.62 watts. Thiis could mean some app has not shut down as the previous poster has suggested if you are operating in standby. If you are using the pb with an average screen brightness in airplane mode the power usage might be 2.5� 0.5 watts. Also as suggested Battery Guru is very useful in analyzing battery operations and checking on battery conditions. Also suggest Advanced App Manager, free in the app world, for use in checking on what is running. Even if you haven't side loaded Android apps you still may have gotten ported Android apps from BlackberryWorld.
    02-08-13 02:02 PM
    An obvious step to take would be a hard-reset (PWR,V-,V+ held down together). It is surprising how often that fixes things.

Once you've done that, try the suggestions above.

The "email on manual" would be the one I'd favour... I've seen that one myself. Just because WiFi/BT are off, doesn't stop it trying to connect... and burning juice.
    Chaddface and ljo01 like this.
    02-08-13 02:18 PM
    Yes the reboot should be the first step.
    Holding power and volume + until the screen goes blank is all that's needed.

Holding all three has been the advice since this forum was born. I don't know where it came from. Using volume + and power does the job easier.
    02-08-13 03:23 PM
    it was in standby, email settings haven't changed in a while (one yahoo, one hotmail, one pop). I did have pdf reader open...will hard reset.
    02-08-13 05:14 PM
    I had a similar experience recently but the circumstances were different. Two weeks ago, I was playing around with my Playbook. As i was about to board the bus, I stashed it on my bag after putting it on standby mode with the battery guru app on. When I got to my destination a few minutes after, I was puzzled why there was something hot inside my bag. To my surprise, it was my Playbook! It was extremely hot I thought it was going to explode! I was using the leather case with flip so the ports were blocked. I immediately took it out of the case and it was really hot! I couldn't turn it on. I just left it there on my desk and the following day I charged it and it turned on as usual. It was really a scary experience.
    02-11-13 08:20 PM
    Looking back - I think it was the pdf app that was left open - but closing that and 3 button restart seems to have fixed everything now!
    02-12-13 04:04 AM
    Some time ago, while going through the options in the Neutron mp3 player app, I noticed there was a "keep background service running after app is closed" option that was on by default. (I haven't checked if it's still the case in the more recent versions.)

I was surprised that a programmer would put that option as default on a tablet app.
    And especially, it made me wonder whether other apps were programmed in a way to consume ressources secretly...

(Even on my pc, I never understood why I would want every program that I install to consume ressources when not used, only so that they take 2 seconds less to start up when I do need them...)
    Scotter75 likes this.
    02-12-13 09:38 AM
    I have just had a similar experience. I believe it was the PDF reader, as this was the only app left open. The battery was completely flat from fully charged and the playbook had shutdown in less than 10 hours, on standby!!!
    02-19-13 09:15 AM
    I have just had a similar experience. I believe it was the PDF reader, as this was the only app left open. The battery was completely flat from fully charged and the playbook had shutdown in less than 10 hours, on standby!!!
    Obviously, you can test that theory if you are willing to experiment. But for clarity, are you talking about the 3rd party pdf reader or the included Adobe version?
    02-19-13 10:59 AM
    Obviously, you can test that theory if you are willing to experiment. But for clarity, are you talking about the 3rd party pdf reader or the included Adobe version?
    I find Android apps will hang open and eat memory. A reboot always resolves it
    02-21-13 11:35 AM
    Advanced App Manager available gratis in BB World will let you know if any apps particularly of the Android ilk are continuing to run in the background and allows you to kill them. Much quicker than a reboot. Also suggest if things are weird that you go to gear/About:Hardware and see what available RAM is reported. If an app has not relinquished the chunk of RAM it used to run it may also be consuming a chunk of power.
    angkorbeer likes this.
    02-21-13 12:49 PM
    Advanced App Manager available gratis in BB World will let you know if any apps particularly of the Android ilk are continuing to run in the background and allows you to kill them. Much quicker than a reboot. Also suggest if things are weird that you go to gear/About:Hardware and see what available RAM is reported. If an app has not relinquished the chunk of RAM it used to run it may also be consuming a chunk of power.
    I installed and tried it to discover that pretty much all the sideloaded apps that I use were running in background... Even some that I hadn't used in at least a couple of weeks! BB should work on fixing that. But hopefully, being able to close them now will improve my (not so great) battery life.

One thing funny though: I closed all the apps with Advanced Manager, including the CB Forums app, then left the tablet on my desk. When I picked it up just now, I opened Advanced Manager to find out the CB app running in background again!!! It's as if the app opened itself up... Weird.
    02-22-13 12:41 PM