I started installing my playbook update yesterday.

Saddly I am not having tech go my way lately, recently moved, external HDD broke, Macbook Pro died, and switched from 9900 to an android while waiting for BB10 to come out.

My saving grace was my Playbook keeping me going.
    I plugged her in last night to update my OS to 2.1
    I am using my work PC, downloaded DM for the first time. Skipped the back up and updated the OS. It is roughly 25% into the install and hasn't moved. I left it over night at work, and now 24 hours after I started the install I am certain it will not fix it self.

So unplug and try again or what?
    Will I lose my data? Because of the death of all my other tech this is the only storage of data, all my music etc on my 64 GB PB. It has about 8 GBs free before the install, could that have been the issue, not enough room?

Advice on this?
    10-05-12 02:53 PM
    I had the same problem when upgrading with Desk Top Manager Luckily I was on the phone with tech support on another issue. Long story short. I was instructed to terminate the upgrade. As soon as I pulled the usb plug the Playbook went back to normal. Like I had not even attempted the upgrade. I too was afraid I would brick it. But, here is what I was told. PlayBooks are designed for wireless upgrades. I never trusted those with my BB phones. Anyway as soon as I tried the wireless upgrade it worked like a charm. And 2.1 solved my earlier issue.
    10-05-12 03:28 PM
    Thank you thank you thank you. I had assumed as much and kicked myself for trying it through the pc instead of on the device itself. I am a mac user and the fact that this didn't go smoothly reminds me why I switched to macs 8 years ago. However, I need to buy a new computer now and fear I cannot afford a mac anymore. So many tech issues at once is killing me.

Can't wait for BB10 though.
    10-05-12 03:32 PM
    I hope it works well for you. Do you still the 90 day tech support with RIM? They have been very helpful. If you get stuck they should be able to help.
    10-05-12 03:36 PM
    All is well. Wifi Install worked perfectly. Thanks, glad to know that you can disconnect a PB and it reverts seamlessly to the old version, no lag or anything.
    10-05-12 06:06 PM
    If you have anything you care about on your device it's always a good idea to back it up first before attempting. Never know when something will go wrong but glad it worked out for you this time.
    10-05-12 06:29 PM
    Mad-elf glad that worked. It was not intuitive for me to do an over the air update. I always use desk top manager for my phone updates and have never had an issue. I agree it is wise to back up but my playbook was only a few days old and there was nothing I was concerned about. The other polnt I forgot to mention is, I was told if you use desk top manager with a PC use a usb connection from the back not the front of the computer. I was told by RIM the former have more power.
    10-05-12 07:16 PM