View Poll Results: Have you/would you/will you/ buy RIMM stock?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes !!!!

111 73.03%
  • No

41 26.97%
    Isn't that what you said when you bought it at $27?

BJ, while I am ecstatic about this new 2.0, when was the last time you saw a software update sell existing, 9 month old technology? Me personally, I've never seen it.
    Yes and I bought it at 20 and i bought it at 16 and i bought it at 13 and now again at 15...

When it goes back up past 40 or higher it's all good.

Things like the phone remote are not 9 month old technology, and 9 months ago the hardware was ahead of its time and still has not been beat, with things that other devices simply don't and can't have - a fluid quickly navigable UI that depends on bezel swiping for example.

Software is making it current and in many ways better than anything out there. QNX is still a superior software base.

Regardless, it's not about the update, its about the return of consumer and reviewer confidence after an unwarranted bashing and stock drop. As lnichols inferred - it's all about reputation, mindshare and public perception. They need to turn around their marketing, which can't get worse. But word of mouth is the most powerful marketing, and THAT is what is reversing before our eyes..

RIMM is undervalued.

Plus the fact that there has to be a bottom and i believe we have seen it.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-11-12 at 11:32 AM.
    01-11-12 10:50 AM
    I think some of you might be riding a two day wave of "irrational exuberance".

No offense intended, and the loyalty to R.I.M is admirable, but the company needs to get rid to the Co-CEOs and sell more units.

Think about how the market analyst(who pass their recommendations to brokers, who then sit with clients and advise on what to buy/sell) see it. R.I.M's primary business is it's handsets. And they won't release a new product for possibly another 9 months. That's a tough deal for investors to swallow considering that R.I.M's grip on enterprise is loosening somewhat.

They can't raise the prices of these devices too much, as if they do, and AAPL drops the price of the iPad 2 to anywhere in the $299 range. Consumers will choose the iPad by over the options by a substantial ratio.

Economic theory. Zero-sum game. AAPL's gains are everyone else's loses.

All, that said. I'm waiting for the update as I will make my personal PB experience so much better.

But, buy R.I.M when the best recommendations on the street right now are a "hold"? I would say watch and wait and jump in after more than just a couple of days of good news..
    01-11-12 11:39 AM
    Things like the phone remote are not 9 month old technology, and 9 months ago the hardware was ahead of its time and still has not been beat, with things that other devices simply don't and can't have - a fluid quickly navigable UI that depends on bezel swiping for example..

Competitive? Yes. Ahead of its time and peerless? Not even close. Just because the Playbook has good cameras doesn't mean it has the best specs on the market. I still refuse to take pictures with a tablet. It's embarassing. Plus, my iphone 4 has a better camera.

RIMM is undervalued.

Plus the fact that there has to be a bottom and i believe we have seen it.
    Not necessarily. If that was the case and it was such a sure thing, there would be people lining up around the block to buy it, hence raising the price.
    01-11-12 11:51 AM
    Let's be honest: market saturation for tablet PCs has barely begun to scratch the surface of its potential. There is much to be ambitious about on the PlayBook homefront. But, and this is a huge "but", we can't forget RIM's handheld or IT sections which are facing stiff competition.

Now, lets look at a best case scenario: PlayBook sales boom causing more and more users to migrate to BB handsets in order to take advantage of the perks, thereby raising RIMs user base and massively growing market share in both tablet and handset markets. Due to popularity and security, businesses continue to use and adopt BES and BB devices as the main communication/mobile productivity tools.

Worst case scenario: New Android tablets in addition to iPad and Kindle Fire continue their upswing leaving Playbook in the dust and a horrific fallout for RIM in the tablet market. RIM kills Playbook and releases QNX phones to an unreceptive consumer market that is already enamoured with iPhones, Androids, and (oh, snap!) Windows Phone.

Which case is more likely? How should I know? I'm just a lowly end user who's hoping for the best case scenario so I can continue to enjoy my Crackberry addiction for years to come.
    01-11-12 12:07 PM
    I bought $500 dollars worth of apple stock in 1991, which I still have yet to touch as it is simply growing. I have purchased about $1500 of Rim as of late and may purchase an additional $500 yet as I think the boomerang is about to rebound any time now.
    01-11-12 12:55 PM
    I have wanted to purchase stock and invest in RIM for a while now. I decided the new year was a good time and I wanted to do it before CES. So last week stocks price of RIM (Canada) was at $15.78. I bought 60 shares against the advice of everyone includng my broker and financial planner. They told me that they were advised to tell clients against purchasing. I told them how I follow all the news and am up to date on the RIM situation and I will take my chances. (they said "good luck"). Its my first time investing and buying stock so I was excited to make the transaction and watch what happens. I have faith in RIM and know some big things will be happening. Truethfully, I was expecting some bigger movement during CES, but time will tell.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-11-12 01:22 PM
    I think some of you might be riding a two day wave of "irrational exuberance".

No offense intended, and the loyalty to R.I.M is admirable, but the company needs to get rid to the Co-CEOs and sell more units.

Think about how the market analyst(who pass their recommendations to brokers, who then sit with clients and advise on what to buy/sell) see it. R.I.M's primary business is it's handsets. And they won't release a new product for possibly another 9 months. That's a tough deal for investors to swallow considering that R.I.M's grip on enterprise is loosening somewhat.

They can't raise the prices of these devices too much, as if they do, and AAPL drops the price of the iPad 2 to anywhere in the $299 range. Consumers will choose the iPad by over the options by a substantial ratio.

Economic theory. Zero-sum game. AAPL's gains are everyone else's loses.

All, that said. I'm waiting for the update as I will make my personal PB experience so much better.

But, buy R.I.M when the best recommendations on the street right now are a "hold"? I would say watch and wait and jump in after more than just a couple of days of good news..
    No offense taken, but it is a bit insulting to say that this speculation is built on "loyalty to RIM" rather than understanding tech and appreciating what is going into the products. There is some well thought out evaluation here, from a tech perspective.

Analysts are not always correct, they are not gods or fortune tellers. Analysts understand financial aspects and not likely tech aspects. They base their recommendations on things other than innovation.

Yes RIMMs business is handsets, with which they are doing very well outside of the US.

The tablet market is not fixed! It is not a fixed size piece of pie that must be shared and diced up into fixed size pieces by market share by all of the device makers. The pie can, is and will grow and proportionately, RIM's piece of it. While they may never catch up to Apple, in terms of market share, their business will grow by nature of the business. AAPLs gains do not take away from other contenders if the tablet and smartphone market is growing.
    01-11-12 02:18 PM
    I bought 60 shares against the advice of everyone includng my broker and financial planner. They told me that they were advised to tell clients against purchasing.
    Brokers and financial planners get their recommendations for their firm's Research Analyst. What your guy basically tried to tell you is that his analysts are telling the firm's reps to "discourage" clients from purchasing R.I.M. Some are even suggesting they sell.

The average advisor(and I worked with many advising on pension funds for 16 years) has not clue about certain sectors and tend to go with whatever the RA sending out company wide. Now, you have some who are excellent stock pickers, but the majority tow the company line. This also helps if litigation over loses we're to arise.

This is what they get paid very healthy sums of money to do. Research a company, form an opinion and spread the word to their advisors. Buy, hold or sell. I can't find one analyst suggesting BUY on the stock. It doesn't pay a dividend and some Portfolio Mgrs that were long in R.I.M in some respectable Mutual Funds have publicly stated that they're looking to divest to.

Like someone else pointed out, there are some companies in the same category that are doing much better.

Consider that each time the stock as spiked recently, it's been based on talk that they are going to either get Rid of the two CEOs that most blame for it's current woes. But, the stock hasn't moved on any real news about sales or profits.

Right now R.I.M's CAPS rating is 2 out of a possible 5 Stars. Which means a good majority of the guys making the calls, are telling their folks to steer clients away(now there's a lot more to this. Like who's making a market in the stock and so on but that's a diff conversation) from the stock.

I don't think they've hit the floor just yet. I'm thinking you might actually see a $12ps price tag based on the timely-ness of the Feb OS release and the results of AAPL's iPad 3 release.

What's happening to R.I.M isn't about how much the company is actually worth, or how much money they have in the bank. It's driven mostly by the perception that it's consumer products are allowing the others to get too far ahead in this race.

There was a Wells Fargo Analyst who said something to this effect on Bloomberg news just this morning.

Don't know if you're investing in stages, but I'd hold off for another 60 days before going back in.
    sirk25 likes this.
    01-11-12 02:24 PM
    Competitive? Yes. Ahead of its time and peerless? Not even close. Just because the Playbook has good cameras doesn't mean it has the best specs on the market. I still refuse to take pictures with a tablet. It's embarassing. Plus, my iphone 4 has a better camera.

Not necessarily. If that was the case and it was such a sure thing, there would be people lining up around the block to buy it, hence raising the price.
    We could go back and forth all day and pick out individual features, to compare, but let's not.
    Example :

I don't know how you picked out "camera" out of my claim of superior hardware - there is so much more - like you I don't even use the playbook camera - I use the phone.
    How do the speakers and dual stereo microphones compare to your iphone? It all depends on what is important to you. The awesome 1080p video cam - sometimes. The touch bezel, and great sounding front facing speakers, dual stereo mics - all the time, and ahead of their time relative to other tabs. The ruggedness, the size...the native HDMI out...

And for a valid comparison you really should be comparing to the ipad camera, which most people are not likely to use either, unless they want to take pics with a serving tray.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-11-12 at 02:34 PM.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-11-12 02:27 PM
    We could go back and forth all day and pick out individual features, to compare, but let's not.
    Example :

How do the speakers and dual stereo microphones compare to your iphone? It all depends on what is important to you. I don't even use the playbook camera - I use the phone. The awesome 1080p video cam - sometimes. The touch bezel, and great sounding front speakers, dual stereo mics - all the time, and ahead of their time relative to other tabs.

And for a valid comparison you really should be comparing to the ipad camera, which most people are not likely to use either, unless they want to take pics with a serving tray.

So your telling me the PlayBook's features that "leapfrogged the competition" was moving speakers and mics to the front of the device?

This changes everything. Again.
    01-11-12 02:33 PM
    BJ,

While the bezel is nice, I really don't think they thought it all the way through. How are you going to normally use the phone without accidentally swiping the bezel? Sure, it's fine on a 7 inch device, but shrink that screen in half and you have a serious problem.
    01-11-12 02:38 PM
    Example :
    It was an example.
    01-11-12 03:38 PM
    I purchased 2000 shares when it was bottoming, a little over a month later I have already earned over $6000 dollars. I am now buying more. You can't loose money here, this is a gift.
    sirk25 and alnamvet68 like this.
    01-11-12 05:41 PM
    I do hope this thread is not moved to general as it is kind of a gauge of playbook enthusiasm and RIM confidence after what we have seen at CES specifically regarding playbook. Mostly interested in playbook owner's perspective, or even non- owners that frequent this forum.

Assuming you had a few extra dollars around, would you/have you/will you/ buy RIMM stock within this week?

Vote yes if you would but can't afford it, have within the last few days as CES news comes out, or you will within this week's general time frame.

Anonymous poll, don't be shy. Closes on the 18th to keep it within the post CES time frame.

Personally? I am doubling down.
    Doubling down on RIM stock again?

"BlackBerry just announced Playbook OS 2 which finally makes the Playbook useful. As opposed to the silly joke it was! The new OS, which really should have launched with the Playbook, adds e-mail, calendar and contacts. Finally! From the company that brought e-mail to your pocket, there's e-mail on their tablet."
    BlackBerry Playbook OS 2 Finally Turns the Playbook Into a Real Tablet

"I'm intrigued by what RIM has managed to accomplish with this software release, though I can't help but feel that it may be too little, too late."
    BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0: hands-on impressions, pictures, and video | The Verge

"�It's too little, too late,� said Fritzsche. �I would call this a working version of what should've come last year -- things that should've been there out of the box.�
    RIM Seen Too Late With E-Mail PlayBook Dominated by IPad: Tech - BusinessWeek

More out there in a similar vein if you'd like me to link them.

Blackjack from this thread (post #3):
    "Promises fulfilled, and confirmed, even tech reviewers are stoked"

Shouldn't that read "Promises promised again"? I just checked for a 2.0 update and didn't see anything.

Also, I'd love to read these "stoked reviews". Presumably the ones I quoted above don't count. Links please.
    01-11-12 06:17 PM
    I believe now is the best time to buy. Here's why:

-By the end of this month, a management review team will present a public report to the Board of Directors. It's not impossible that management changes will be announced before that report is presented. I have a strong suspicion that RIM will announce changes that are substantial enough to please investors.

-The PB update does add value. If the retail market responds favorably, we could conceivably hear reports in short order.
    01-11-12 07:39 PM
    Shouldn't that read "Promises promised again"? I just checked for a 2.0 update and didn't see anything...
    RIM has stated clearly that the update is "due in February 2012". All indications aside from one rather FUD-y rumor suggest the update is on track. It would frankly be insanity to show such new functionality within weeks of a release date if they had any serious reason to believe they wouldn't make it.

What's great about this update is that it makes EXISTING Playbooks work much better. That will buy back a lot of good will for RIM.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-11-12 07:50 PM
    RIM has stated clearly that the update is "due in February 2012". All indications aside from one rather FUD-y rumor suggest the update is on track. It would frankly be insanity to show such new functionality within weeks of a release date if they had any serious reason to believe they wouldn't make it.

What's great about this update is that it makes EXISTING Playbooks work much better. That will buy back a lot of good will for RIM.
    Agreed that it will buy good will. But how much good will will it buy. And what is the half life of the good will? I would guess relatively short since it will be a while before QNX phones are out.
    01-11-12 09:37 PM
    Doubling down on RIM stock again?

"BlackBerry just announced Playbook OS 2 which finally makes the Playbook useful. As opposed to the silly joke it was! The new OS, which really should have launched with the Playbook, adds e-mail, calendar and contacts. Finally! From the company that brought e-mail to your pocket, there's e-mail on their tablet."
    BlackBerry Playbook OS 2 Finally Turns the Playbook Into a Real Tablet

"I'm intrigued by what RIM has managed to accomplish with this software release, though I can't help but feel that it may be too little, too late."
    BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0: hands-on impressions, pictures, and video | The Verge

"“It's too little, too late,” said Fritzsche. “I would call this a working version of what should've come last year -- things that should've been there out of the box.”
    RIM Seen Too Late With E-Mail PlayBook Dominated by IPad: Tech - BusinessWeek

More out there in a similar vein if you'd like me to link them.

Blackjack from this thread (post #3):
    "Promises fulfilled, and confirmed, even tech reviewers are stoked"

Shouldn't that read "Promises promised again"? I just checked for a 2.0 update and didn't see anything.

Also, I'd love to read these "stoked reviews". Presumably the ones I quoted above don't count. Links please.
    Didn't see anything? Is it February already?

As long as we are quoting Blackjack - may as well throw this one in:

Post #7

01-09-2012, 11:53 AM

All we will hear about is how it is too little too late. Already we are hearing the "what about this what about thats". The chains of slavery and bigotry will be on blackberry for some time to come.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...6/#post7013406
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-11-12 at 09:55 PM.
    01-11-12 09:43 PM
    And to answer your question about reviews - from this thread post #20:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...89/index2.html

CES positive reviews are already arriving:

CES 2012: RIM’s PlayBook software overhaul brings hope

In a *ahem* financial journal: The Financial Post (not even a tech site)

And from the tech world

RIM Improves BlackBerry PlayBook With 2.0 Upgrade: Hands-On | PCWorld Business Center

Even if the knife keeps falling - you can still buy more then and cost average. The point is it WILL be higher than it is now, even if it goes down before it goes up.
    Anything else?
    A little tired of doing your reading for you.

Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-11-12 at 10:00 PM.
    01-11-12 09:54 PM
    RIM has stated clearly that the update is "due in February 2012". All indications aside from one rather FUD-y rumor suggest the update is on track.
    If it were on track it would have been released in Summer 2011.

It would frankly be insanity to show such new functionality within weeks of a release date if they had any serious reason to believe they wouldn't make it.
    Agreed. As insane as missing a deadline publicly announced by the Chairman of the company by *over 6 months now*. Well, that was for the no brainer email. One of the most embarrassing omissions we are still waiting for. OS2 is a little less delayed. The last "firm date" for OS2.0 (itself a pushed back date) was for end of October. When they missed that one, they spotted themselves *another 4 months*!:

October 25 2011 "As much as we�d love to have it in your hands today, we�ve made the difficult decision to wait to launch BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 until we are confident we have fully met the expectations of our developers, enterprise customers and end-users.". ****This was the same time that they jettisoned what is probably the premier competitive advantage of RIM, BBM***)

Good will? Best case is that observers can say, "It's about time they delivered some of the features that *should have been there since release*".

Another predominant meme, even for those who think that a Feb 2.0 release is a distinct possibility (I count my self in this category), is "Too little, too late".

See the links I posted above in this thread.

I'll offer you the same chance I offered to another poster above. Show me some of this "good will":
    From my post above:
    "Also, I'd love to read these "stoked reviews". Presumably the ones I quoted above don't count. Links please."
    Pearl9100 likes this.
    01-11-12 09:59 PM
    Didn't see anything? Is it February already?
    Nope, Jan 11 where I am. You know, the date where you said in regard to OS 2.0:
    "Promises fulfilled, and confirmed, ****even tech reviewers *are* stoked****"

Again, links to these stoked tech reviewers please. Or a retraction. I am not in the market for tech stocks, but members here who may be and are listening to your claims of "stoked reviewers" should have the truth one way or another.

As long as we are quoting Blackjack - may as well throw this one in:
    "All we will hear about is how it is too little too late."
    When you are right you are right Blackjack. That is exactly what the reviews are saying. Too little too late.
    01-11-12 10:26 PM
    And to answer your question about reviews - from this thread post #20:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...89/index2.html

Anything else?
    A little tired of doing your reading for you.

That's "stoked" to you? A 3 star out of 5 stars tech review? What is that in a letter grade? It squeaks a C in the grade schools around here. Stoked indeed.

( stoked) informal ***excite or thrill***

I guess it's more thrilling than a 1 star or 2 star review.
    01-11-12 10:33 PM
    ...That is exactly what the reviews are saying. Too little too late.
    The thing with "too little, too late" is that it's a pretty subjective thing. We won't really know for sure until the update's out and the marketplace has had a chance to render ITS judgement.

RIM has shown enhancements that add a great deal of value to the device (and address its biggest criticisms). It issued a release date back in October that they still claim is on track. Think about that: the demos have left a very positive impression; if RIM had good reason to believe it couldn't meet the release target, wouldn't now be the time to just kind of slip that in ("oh, by the way, it's just going to take a LITTLE bit longer...")?

RIM has generally been a solid, successful company providing solid products. They clearly botched the launch of this one, but by all appearances the adults are back in control. I think the case could be made that RIM had one enormously bad year, but they've put it behind them.

What they've presented at CES is considerably better than anything most of us were expecting. Set aside last year, and RIM's record would suggest they'll execute.
    01-11-12 11:10 PM
    I'm not buying. No new exciting products + weak NA growth+ horrible management decisions = no go for me....I'm happy to see that the playbook is finally getting native app support, but that's not enough to move the stock price IMO. Good luck to those that are buying shares. Sold my shares months ago. I will jump back on board wants the stock starts performing like a leader (if it ever gets back to that point) and not laggard.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    01-11-12 11:31 PM
    But you're violating the law of buy low sell high Marty
    01-12-12 12:18 AM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD