my playbook just sits there and flashes the red LED once long and then followed by four short red LED flashes. It just repeats this sequence continously

I've tried the three finger salute (up/dn volume and power for 30 seconds, nothing). Tried plugging it into DM, nothing.

It just does the red LED flash routine.

Any suggestions?
    03-12-12 09:24 AM
    You have tried de-bricking and hard resetting?
    Looks like you may have to return it...
    03-12-12 09:30 AM
    please explain de-bricking and hard resetting?

thanks
    03-12-12 09:42 AM
    please explain de-bricking and hard resetting?

thanks
    Hard-reset is when you hold the Volume Up,Down and Power Button.
    Click here on an article about de-bricking PlayBook's.
    03-12-12 09:44 AM
    _ . . . . = morse code for number 6.

Your playbook keeps flashing you 666? That may be a sign for something..
    03-12-12 09:55 AM
    _ . . . . = morse code for number 6.

Your playbook keeps flashing you 666? That may be a sign for something..
    You may be onto something, OP you may have to destroy your PlayBook with Holy Water...
    03-12-12 09:56 AM
    ya thanks, that's very helpful
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    03-12-12 10:03 AM
    ya thanks, that's very helpful
    Did you try de-bricking your PlayBook?
    03-12-12 10:12 AM
    When I had that,, de-brick worked for me! Good luck
    03-12-12 10:22 AM
    Sounds like the thing is hosed
    03-12-12 10:27 AM
    well after 40 minutes on the phone with RIM tech support they are shipping out a return container so I can send it back to 'em for repair.

the thing appears to be well and truly hosed

So this all began when Pool Break Pro froze up and i couldn't kill it. So i restarted the PB. After that all the android icons were gone, the text for the icons was still there, but the icons were gone. And only Pool Break Pro would still run, the other two android apps i have would not start, showing error 22 when I tried to run them

So I turned the PB off completely, waited about 10 minutes and turned it back on. It took like 20+ minutes to boot up, and when it finally did, the wireless wouldn't work. No matter what I did, no wireless.

So i turned it off again and when I tried to turn it back on, presto the Red LED flashing thing started and its been dead ever since.

Moral of the story? RIM needs to do a little more work on the android VM me thinks.....
    03-12-12 11:22 AM
    Just went through the flashing LED concern. Red then 5 Green flashes.
    I guess it means the battery is extremely low. After some other suggestions from the group I plugged it into the charger and just left it alone. After about 5 hours it alive again and working normally. Hope it helps.
    03-12-12 05:11 PM
    I had similar issues with my first PlayBook along with the tablet not being able to hold a charge. RIM took excellent care of me! Not only did they replace my PlayBook but they also sent me a rapid charger! Best of luck to you with your PlayBook! You're in good hands with RIM
    03-12-12 07:07 PM
    When it happened to me it was memory failure and I had to have my PlayBook replaced.
    03-12-12 08:09 PM
    I don't think it has anything to do with android, had the same problem with mine before os2.

well after 40 minutes on the phone with RIM tech support they are shipping out a return container so I can send it back to 'em for repair.

the thing appears to be well and truly hosed

So this all began when Pool Break Pro froze up and i couldn't kill it. So i restarted the PB. After that all the android icons were gone, the text for the icons was still there, but the icons were gone. And only Pool Break Pro would still run, the other two android apps i have would not start, showing error 22 when I tried to run them

So I turned the PB off completely, waited about 10 minutes and turned it back on. It took like 20+ minutes to boot up, and when it finally did, the wireless wouldn't work. No matter what I did, no wireless.

So i turned it off again and when I tried to turn it back on, presto the Red LED flashing thing started and its been dead ever since.

Moral of the story? RIM needs to do a little more work on the android VM me thinks.....
    westronic likes this.
    03-12-12 09:23 PM
    I'm having this same problem too with my Mom's Playbook. DM doesn't even recognize it when I plug it into my computer.

Is my only option to call and ultimately return it to RIM? Is there a cost associated with this or do they take care of it?
    04-19-12 09:44 PM
    I'm having this same problem too with my Mom's Playbook. DM doesn't even recognize it when I plug it into my computer.

Is my only option to call and ultimately return it to RIM? Is there a cost associated with this or do they take care of it?
    The pb has a ONE year warranty. So repair should not cost anything if you/she is the original purchaser.

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    04-20-12 12:49 AM
    Thanks for the numbers and info. Been on with customer support for over a half hour now. They have to run through all of their tests with me.
    04-20-12 10:32 AM
    Good luck (filler for too short)
    04-20-12 11:06 AM
    I've had that happen, the fix is pretty easy. reboot into RDS mode and flash RIM's latest .sbf file into the bootloader. Then reboot into recovery console, bring up a windows cmd terminal and execute fastboot oemunlock 43560987230498.
    04-20-12 11:09 AM
    It's Dead, Jim

Been following this thread for a while - and bitten by it last night. Noticed that some of my programs were running a bit sluggish, so decided to restart. It never came back, got the OP same 1 long and 4 rapid flashes. Pretty technically adept so went through the usual. DM and anything else refused to acknowledge PB. Every combo of reset, charging I knew of, finally this morning called RIM. Very helpful, though not qualified under 90 day since registry, tech extended when I pointed out warranty on site says 1 year. Went through the same hoops while on phone, now waiting for Fedex box to RMA. Will keep everyone advised.
    P.S. for "omniousovermind" - RDS might work if the PB was recognized by the system - since it is failing the boot ROM sequencing that's not likely to happen unless an emulator can be patched in and the system is rooted. Your obfuscation is obviated.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    05-16-12 11:18 AM
    You know you have a real problem when your PB starts flashing:

2 short pulses, 1 long, 1 short
    2 short and 1 long
    1 long, 1 short, 1 long, 1 short
    1 long, 1 short, 1 long
    1 long, 1 short, 2 longs
    3 longs
    2 shorts and 1 long

Chaddface likes this.
    05-16-12 11:39 AM
    Or the more obscure long long short short, long long, short long
    05-16-12 01:36 PM
    My code skills are quite limited - translation, please.
    05-16-12 02:45 PM
    Or the more obscure long long short short, long long, short long
    That translates to TTEETTET; WTF is that?
    05-16-12 04:02 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD