That translates to TTEETTET; WTF is that?
    Mo re code?
    05-16-12 04:56 PM
    Damn it, reading this thread jinxed me. My PB bricked yesterday, and I've tried everything mentioned on here and it still has no pulse, so I'm returning it. I think I will buy a brand new one off Amazon and not take my chance with used again.

From reading it looks like letting the battery drain fully has a serious risk of bricking these tablets. I hope it doesn't happen with the next one!
    05-17-12 08:21 AM
    Yes, it's Morse code, include the comma's or if u prefer _ _ .. _ _ . _
    In my old Sigs days, we were limited to Q and Z signals, so we would send ZMA as a cheeky response to our fellow communicators - Zuck My Arse .

And the PB issue is not just the discharge, I was over 65% power when I tried the reset. I agree though that they have to get on this issue as the only viable solution for most is RMA, and if this continues with the BB10 devices it will be devastating.
    05-17-12 08:32 AM
    I've had that happen, the fix is pretty easy. reboot into RDS mode and flash RIM's latest .sbf file into the bootloader. Then reboot into recovery console, bring up a windows cmd terminal and execute fastboot oemunlock 43560987230498.
    LOL may be easy if a person knows how to do these things.
    05-17-12 08:46 AM
    I've had that happen, the fix is pretty easy. reboot into RDS mode and flash RIM's latest .sbf file into the bootloader. Then reboot into recovery console, bring up a windows cmd terminal and execute fastboot oemunlock 43560987230498.
    Wanna' put that in plain English, or atleast in Morse Code; I mean really.
    05-17-12 10:04 AM
    You know you have a real problem when your PB starts flashing:

2 short pulses, 1 long, 1 short
    2 short and 1 long
    1 long, 1 short, 1 long, 1 short
    1 long, 1 short, 1 long
    1 long, 1 short, 2 longs
    3 longs
    2 shorts and 1 long

That would be a real problem.
    05-17-12 10:24 AM
    LOL may be easy if a person knows how to do these things.
    May be easy if a person had any idea what it even meant much less how to do it.
    05-17-12 10:57 AM
    Got the instruction for fix BlackBerry PlayBook doesn't boot up, flashing one long LED red light and 4 yellow-green light:
    1. Install BlackBerry Desktop Manager latest version for Mac. You can get it at BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software - BlackBerry Software at BlackBerry.com (The one you download must be for Mac)
    2. Download the 2.0.1.358 Full OS QCFM BAR.
    3. Copy the QCFM.BAR and QCFM.SIGNED to folder [user]/Library/Application Support/BlackBerryDesktop/Device Applications/9933ff03e18e0ae4ea987b8f063258a5322704fc (You may create new folder, the folder is hidden, how to unhide? Read whole reply)
    4. Open the BlackBerry Desktop Software
    5. Connect your "unusable/bricked" PlayBook to Mac using right USB Cable w/out hubs (direct connect to hardware)
    6. BDM will prompt "Error communicating with PlayBook", click "Repair"
    7. BDM will Check for Update and ask you confirm repair, click Repair or Yes
    8. If you don't copy the 2.0.1.358 Full OS QCFM BAR to the folder, it will downloading for about 1 hour according to your speed. The Full OS size is (don't get a hard attack!) 2.48 GB for the QCFM.BAR and QCFM.SIGNED. If you copied the file, BDM will skip the download process and jump to installing
    9. The installation will take about 30+ minutes. Let's take a coffee and relax
    10. Make sure you don't touch your PlayBook even with your nails! If one error occurs, will difficult to re-connect because you need to re-connect for about 6-7 time until BDM recognize it.
    11. BDM will says your device is ready! Disconnect your device and click 'Close'
    12. Your PlayBook will stay flashing the long red light and 4 short light, ignore it
    13. Connect your PlayBook to the Wall Electric Outlet using the original charger and wait until tomorrow morning (it will take a long time because bricked PlayBook needs to be initialized, BDM doesn't do it if it's a repair on Mac, so the initializing of OS is not yet done. Let it charge and if the indicator not flashing yellow during charging, it's OK
    14. Wake Up! It's morning! Disconnect your PlayBook from the electric outlet and try to turn on the device. If the device's LED doesn't on, try to connect again to electric outlet until the LED flash red and quick disconnect it, Voila! It's Welcome screen!
    15. Enjoy your Brand New PlayBook with the latest OS!

How to unhide folders on Mac:
    1. Open Terminal
    2. Enter this code: defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
    3. Then enter this code: killall Finder
    4. The Finder should relaunched and you can see hidden files.
    5. To back hide all folders enter this code: defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
    6. Then enter again: killall Finder
    NB: The codes are Case-Sensitive!

You must put the Full OS, if you install Core OS, it will make the PlayBook 101% Bricked and you need to see your PlayBook box, then take a card written "PlayBook * year warranty" and go to the place you bought the PlayBook and say: "Here's the card and bring me back my PlayBook for 5 hours!"

Why is ask you 2.0.1.358? Because while set-up PlayBook, it will ask for Software Update, the latest software update on 24 May 2012 is 2.0.1.358, so you don't need to download the updates, just need to download 24 MB for the region config.

Hope this helps!
    Best regards,
    -SuperViseTechBB
    Any questions? Reply me or add my PIN: 2208BF1A
    05-23-12 10:49 PM
    SuperVise.....

Where do you get:

Download the 2.0.1.358 Full OS QCFM BAR.
    05-24-12 12:16 AM
    As promised, an update -

So I RMA'd my PB, Fedex got it there in good time (BTW kudos to the BB Fedex tracking app!) and I was contacted to login to validate and approve etc. It would only allow one check and then my serial # got the "not qualified for support" message. Then I would phone/email and they would reset my 90 days and then email me and I would relog and check and then do the whole thing again. Yesterday morning (23rd) I managed to get on the the RMA update said it was fixed and shipped the day before. Fedex had it and I retrieved it from them and...

Not my playbook. Easy to tell at a glance, as mine had a screen protector and was the limited special Need for Speed version (with logo'd carbon fiber back!) that is a lot easier to grip and better protected than the standard version. Mine also had a flawless screen, this one has a speck of dirt under the glass that is centered horizontally and 1/3 up from bottom, just where your eye looks in most games...
    So I am awaiting a response from BB Support as to why they say repair when they replaced. Yes I know I am fortunate to get one, just the way this happened irritates me.

And if you have to send off your device, be prepared. I booted this one up, upgraded, did a full restore of my full backup (the day before it bricked, yay!) and then found that none of my native email etc settings were saved, so if you use native email, write down your settings, some of mine are rather complicated and weren't written down. Also, my sideloaded Android apps disappeared, and my many Print-to-go docs disappeared as well. I am sure there are more surprises waiting for me...

In all fairness, they did a quick turnaround - but though I asked for any preventative measures I might take, I have heard nothing. So just keep backing up, and prepare that at any time you too could be talking to tech support...
    05-24-12 08:31 AM
    As promised, an update -

So I RMA'd my PB, Fedex got it there in good time (BTW kudos to the BB Fedex tracking app!) and I was contacted to login to validate and approve etc. It would only allow one check and then my serial # got the "not qualified for support" message. Then I would phone/email and they would reset my 90 days and then email me and I would relog and check and then do the whole thing again. Yesterday morning (23rd) I managed to get on the the RMA update said it was fixed and shipped the day before. Fedex had it and I retrieved it from them and...

Not my playbook. Easy to tell at a glance, as mine had a screen protector and was the limited special Need for Speed version (with logo'd carbon fiber back!) that is a lot easier to grip and better protected than the standard version. Mine also had a flawless screen, this one has a speck of dirt under the glass that is centered horizontally and 1/3 up from bottom, just where your eye looks in most games...
    So I am awaiting a response from BB Support as to why they say repair when they replaced. Yes I know I am fortunate to get one, just the way this happened irritates me.

And if you have to send off your device, be prepared. I booted this one up, upgraded, did a full restore of my full backup (the day before it bricked, yay!) and then found that none of my native email etc settings were saved, so if you use native email, write down your settings, some of mine are rather complicated and weren't written down. Also, my sideloaded Android apps disappeared, and my many Print-to-go docs disappeared as well. I am sure there are more surprises waiting for me...

In all fairness, they did a quick turnaround - but though I asked for any preventative measures I might take, I have heard nothing. So just keep backing up, and prepare that at any time you too could be talking to tech support...
    I also found that the serial number login was a very odd process. Each day I called, they reestablished my 90 days so I could track. It worked once and the next time "not a valid number, etc" Happened 4 times! I removed my screen protector (a non-glue type) before sending it back and since the 32gig became my backup unit but had had standby problems for ages, I never installed anything on it except Battery Guru so there was nothing to backup/restore - lucky (!!!) that way. Mine was also REPLACED rather than repaired. No indication as to why. But since according to their records I was about 3 weeks beyond a year, I can't complain about the rma. I checked for bad pixels but did not check for dust but nothing was obvious when I ran DisplayTest.

As for learning lessons on backup, I created a static ip address and when I established emails, I actually did a whole series of Screen-captures grabbing those various settings and also making text notes of various odd-ball settings.

Hopefully, you can get stuff resolved.
    05-24-12 09:00 AM
    As promised, an update -

Not my playbook. Easy to tell at a glance, as mine had a screen protector and was the limited special Need for Speed version (with logo'd carbon fiber back!) that is a lot easier to grip and better protected than the standard version.
    Need For Speed version I've never heard of this. Wish you had a picture!
    Last edited by Thachoc1; 05-24-12 at 09:29 AM.
    05-24-12 09:17 AM
    I've gone through 2 RMA's with RIM. 1st off be informed, Your playbook is not actually going to RIM, they use a Third Party repair facility for repairs. They're pretty good, however if something negative happens its more than likely not RIM's fault. When I sent my 1st Playbook (camera problems) in the process took close to a month, then when they sent it back (unfixed btw) there was my original Playbook, and an extra digitizer screen! I had to escalate my case to get a new one. The brand new Playbook I received, lasted a few weeks, then the USB port stopped working. So, back to the escalated department I went, and they sent me a brand new Playbook with double the size!
    05-24-12 09:28 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD