I had been saving for an iPad for sometime. I love the device, all my cousins and friends have it and I am quite comfortable with it. Then I saw Kindle Fire and an android tablet for that price was very tempting. Then a friend said if I was looking for a tablet other than iPad, I should go for the Playbook.

I wasn't convinced. What I knew of Playbook was - 1) It wasn't successful and 2) There weren't many apps for it. I also like my android phone just a bit more than my 9300. The price had come down but that probably meant the company had given up on the tablet and just wants to dispose the remaining ones. She gave me the playbook for a couple of days and told me if all I wanted in a tablet was to read comics, watch movies and browse when I am not near my PC, getting a Playbook for this price was a no-brainer and that future of the tablet is the company's headache, not mine.

I was mighty impressed with the tablet. It did all I needed and wanted and did it well. Then I read about OS2 & that it will run android apps. Except for the screen (Excellent quality but I prefer a slightly bigger one), it was perfect. Picked a 32GB one.

One of my better decisions. I use it for videos, comics (the excellent comics app), voice notes, Playbook chess, Twitter (mobile site) and the NES emulator (tried my best to avoid games on this but this was irresistable). It was a great travel companion recently and though I don't use it much, Word-to-go saved me from a big headache. A bit glad I hadn't saved enough for an iPad2 (I still love it. I love $aving more).

I have few questions. Hopefully someone who didn't get bored by the essay above would be able to help me.

1) I was playing NFS game the day before and the device switched off abruptly. The battery was half-full. It didn't start. I tried charging but got those yellow-green flashing light. I googled the solution and someone said I should try connecting it to the desktop software. I connected it to the PC and after a while, the Playbook logo appeared and the device started. I have no idea what the problem was and what solved it. Anyone experienced it? Had no problem after that.

2) Is it possible to use my phone's wifi for internet when bridged? not using Playbook's wifi would help the battery last longer.

3) How do I copy text from websites?

4) Does it need any anti-virus?

Thanks for the patience and help.
    02-09-12 11:32 AM
    2) While bluetooth does take easier on the battery, Bridge goes for the carrier network data and not the WiFi Connection (as far as I can tell at least);

EDIT: Smoking bananas, I was WRONG! As you know, I usually test the stuff I say, even when I am convinced I am right. To my surprise, turning the carrier off on the 9780 and WiFi off on the PB, I still can suft the web over Bridge! Keep in mind though, BlueTooth speeds will be far inferior to what you'd get over WiFi.

3) Keep your finger over the text and the options should show up;

4) Nope.
    Last edited by diegonei; 02-09-12 at 11:43 AM.
    Superfly_FR and Hawkeberry like this.
    02-09-12 11:38 AM
    1) I was playing NFS game the day before and the device switched off abruptly. The battery was half-full. It didn't start. I tried charging but got those yellow-green flashing light. I googled the solution and someone said I should try connecting it to the desktop software. I connected it to the PC and after a while, the Playbook logo appeared and the device started. I have no idea what the problem was and what solved it. Anyone experienced it? Had no problem after that.

2) Is it possible to use my phone's wifi for internet when bridged? not using Playbook's wifi would help the battery last longer.

1/ Brutal "shutdown".
    Difficult to say, if your PB is new, may be an inconsistent gauge indication.
    If you just plugged it on usb and Desk. Soft. Manager didn't prompt you to repair/upgrade, it's mostly something like a battery problem ...
    But on that matter; batteryguru is never far away Peter, any clue for this ?

2/ When your PB is bridged to your BB phone, it'll take the same advantage of wifi/3G than if you were using the phone. But If you've got both fast wifi and connexion, bridge over BT will slow down your connexion. So, in a few words, you'll need more time to see the same thing => deprecated experience + increased time => I'm not sure you'll save a lot.
    Once again ... this is a BG subject

3/ My personnal way : tap and hold the first word, two blue silders (an a contextual menu) will appear. Slide them (tap and hold one at the time) as you wish, the contextual menu should be there ... hit copy, and voil� !

4/ No anti-virus needed for now. We do have to pay attention to androids apps, especially if sideloaded ;-).

Hope it helps,
    Welcome to the CB nation !
    Hawkeberry likes this.
    02-09-12 11:49 AM
    lol @ "Smoking bananas".

Thanks mate. Much appreciated. Was trying to drag on the text like I do on my phone to copy. This is a much more sensible way.
    02-09-12 11:51 AM
    2) While bluetooth does take easier on the battery, Bridge goes for the carrier network data and not the WiFi Connection (as far as I can tell at least);

EDIT: Smoking bananas, I was WRONG! As you know, I usually test the stuff I say, even when I am convinced I am right. To my surprise, turning the carrier off on the 9780 and WiFi off on the PB, I still can suft the web over Bridge! Keep in mind though, BlueTooth speeds will be far inferior to what you'd get over WiFi.

3) Keep your finger over the text and the options should show up;

4) Nope.
    Dammit you're soooo fast dude !!!!
    02-09-12 11:51 AM
    Dammit you're soooo fast dude !!!!
    We do what we can. ^^
    02-09-12 12:07 PM
    Thanks a lot Superfly.

My PB is new (At least I hope so). Got it a week ago. Software didn't prompt me for repair / upgrade. I kept it for a while and was reading the steps I need to follow and the logo appeared. The battery gives me 9-10 hrs per full charge. Hoping it is random one-off incident. A bit attached to the tablet and don't want to send it for repairs / replacement.

Thanks for explaining about the wifi bridge. Totally agree with "deprecated experience + increased time". I was just curious about using that when using instant messengers while traveling. They don't require much speed and I don't mind sacrificing phone's battery as I have a spare one.
    02-09-12 12:08 PM

1) I'm sorry, I don't know...

2)I'm sorry, I don't know...

3)Hold the text you want to copy and option will pop-up to "Copy" or "Cancel".

4)No, it will NEVER need anti-virus, Android is open-source which means it is really easy to make virus's. RIM checks the submitted application for this type of garbage...
    Hawkeberry likes this.
    02-09-12 12:08 PM
    4)No, it will NEVER need anti-virus, Android is open-source which means it is really easy to make virus's. RIM checks the submitted application for this type of garbage...
    Funny, this rings just like when Bill Gates said 64kb would be enough memory to any user.

NEVER say never.
    02-09-12 12:13 PM
    1) The yellow-greenish pulsing LED is what happens when the PB is turned off and charging. It will be a steady light when it's fully charged.
    If you connect to DM via USB the PB will turn on.
    I know it doesn't explain why it shut down but everything else sounds normal.
    02-09-12 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD