Hi All,

I was fortunate to get a new playbook for xmas. Part of the reason I got it was so that I could have an ereader. I currently have a collection of books on my computer that I purchased and would read from my laptop. I have been trying to move them over to the PB to be able to read them there. I am having a hard time figuring out where to put the books in the DIR so that I can pull them up in any reader. On my 9900 when I want to add files there, it is very cut and dried as to where to put the files that I want to read.

Am I missing something? I tried using Overdrive Media, but it only tried to connect me to my local library. I will more than likely purchase the Book Reader for EPUB but need to know how to find the files on the PB one they are on there.

TIA

Banana
    12-30-12 09:43 PM
    By all means, buy Book Reader from App World. I 've tried many ereader apps such as Mantano, Aldiko, Moon +, Kobo, Sony eReader on the PlayBook and other tablets. Book Reader is the winner in my opinion. As for where to put your epubs, I believe there's a folder under accounts/1000/shared/books. Use that one for simplicity.
    SassyBanana likes this.
    12-30-12 09:57 PM
    You can place the books pretty much anywhere including the Book folder which does not appear to be used currently. But how you read those "books" would depend on their format. Book Reader imports books into itself by pointing to the folder where you've placed them. So as long as you know which folder, all would be well. Clearly, the books canNOT have drm (encoding).
    12-30-12 10:11 PM
    I use PlayEpub and this suits all my needs. I created a folder on the playbook and copied my books there.
    You can then open the books in the playepub app.
    12-31-12 10:42 AM
    Grats ;-) for the nice device.
    I have been testing a lot of ebook readers - being hadicapped for some time i read through a lot of old time classics (conan doyle, wallace, twain).
    ATM i like the Moon+ Reader (Pro) best. You can sideload the free version from Android. The paid version does not convert.
    You find it here: Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android APP Store - Playbook App Market.

Aldiko is also nice.

Have fun
    Axel
    12-31-12 10:54 AM
    Actually, the Pro version is available there legally as well, for the same cost as at the G Play Store. It has great reading controls, and average epub rendering, but opens many other formats as well, including pdf in the pro version. As a side, most of the readers have poor to average rendering of the epub format.
    12-31-12 09:45 PM
    I currently have a collection of books on my computer that I purchased and would read from my laptop. I have been trying to move them over to the PB to be able to read them there.

Am I missing something?
    First, the ebooks that you purchased certainly are DRM protected and will need to be unprotected before moving them to the PB from your laptop. Calibre works well for this. Once they are unprotected, you copy them in the books folder as you would with any other file. You can then open the ebook with your reader of choice (I use Playepub).
    01-01-13 08:28 AM
    You should look at this thread. It gives a lot of useful information on how to use Calibre with the Playbook.
    And this thread will show you what to do to circumvent the DRM problem you may have to move protected ebooks to your Playbook.
    01-01-13 11:42 AM
    I'm using Book Reader and it's a good app for EPUB and FB2 files. You can import files from anywhere on the PB's storage. I think it should have a full screen layout that gets rid of the title and status bars.

My favorite reader app is FBReader on Android but I can't get any version to convert successfully to a Bar file.
    01-01-13 12:09 PM
    Most books ca be found by any reader in any directory, as long as in epub format. If not in that format, research using Calibre to convert and strip DRM. Overdrive directly only processes mp3 for PB. Problem is most audiobooks from library are in WMA format.
    01-01-13 02:32 PM