Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Laura Knotek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Geek

    Posts
    11,467 Posts
    Global Posts
    26,784 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Playbook email question

    From ZDNet:
    ...
    Sales of the PlayBook haven’t been ground-shaking, and RIM can only blame itself for that. Launching its first tablet into a competitive market, lacking core functionality such as email was suicidal. The BlackBerry has always been famous for its stellar handling of messaging, email included, but the ability is not even there on the PlayBook. Months later, RIM has yet to provide that feature on the tablet.

    The delay in getting email onto the PlayBook hasn’t been detailed by RIM, but those in the know say the BlackBerry infrastructure can’t handle owners with multiple devices. If true, this shows how far RIM is behind the competition which can do simple things like email without problem. The company is dealing not only with a brand new platform and a brand new device, it is trying to make its aging backend handle it all. This is the real problem facing RIM because this is not an easy fix.
    ...
    The part I am curious about is what I emphasized in bold? Is anyone aware of the infrastructure issues and what it would take to fix those?
  2. mickrg123's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    A Google or Microsoft takeover would fix it. Also spell check and bluetooth must be a very complex problem too they cant get those to work either.
    BB Storm, Bold, Curve, I phone 4, PlayBook, Droid 2 Global, HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Droid Charge
    We unlock all phones remotely worldwide
  3. shupor's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    579 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    From ZDNet:


    The part I am curious about is what I emphasized in bold? Is anyone aware of the infrastructure issues and what it would take to fix those?

    Beats me too. I'm inclined to think they mean the RIM servers and if that's the case, i'll call BS seeing how they just added 3 million new subscribers in Europe and Africa.

    I might be wrong
  4. dkingsf's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,692 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shupor View Post
    Beats me too. I'm inclined to think they mean the RIM servers and if that's the case, i'll call BS seeing how they just added 3 million new subscribers in Europe and Africa.

    I might be wrong
    Per my BES admin, I can have only one device tied to my email account. I'm not sure if it's due to BES functionality. Might be company policy, didn't really ask.

    If it's due to BES then BIS is probably the same.

    Any BES admins out here that can clarify?
    Taking the world by Storm(2)!
    Unlocked 9550
  5. JRonin's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    63 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    From ZDNet:


    The part I am curious about is what I emphasized in bold? Is anyone aware of the infrastructure issues and what it would take to fix those?
    BES only allows one device per user. This is obviously a problem once the cellular versions of the PlayBook come out. RIM has to rewrite some parts of the platform to allow a user to have multiple devices (smartphone and tablet) activated at the same time. I would expect a BES update to have to come out this year to allow for that functionality before the new PlayBooks come out, otherwise there will be a lot of pissed off companies.
  6. acdcrocks's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    66 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    I have my email configured over 2 devices (8700g & 9300) without any problems. Sometimes I even see which one gets it first. Hence, I don't know if that is the issue.
    BB Addict since 2005.
    Currently using BB 8700G, 9300 & PlayBook 64GB.
    Follow me on Twitter @HaveLegsWillRun
  7. ObiGeorge's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acdcrocks View Post
    I have my email configured over 2 devices (8700g & 9300) without any problems. Sometimes I even see which one gets it first. Hence, I don't know if that is the issue.
    You may, but not on the same BIS account
  8. shupor's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    579 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRonin View Post
    BES only allows one device per user. This is obviously a problem once the cellular versions of the PlayBook come out. RIM has to rewrite some parts of the platform to allow a user to have multiple devices (smartphone and tablet) activated at the same time. I would expect a BES update to have to come out this year to allow for that functionality before the new PlayBooks come out, otherwise there will be a lot of pissed off companies.
    I see what you mean now and it works the same way for BIS. Thanks for the clarification
  9. blackjack93117's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    4,157 Posts
    PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know
    #9  

    Default

    Sounds like crap to me.Always suspect of "journalists" citing generic sources like "those in the know say..." and claiming something is simple when they have no idea...sure email is simple when there is lame security attached to it...
  10. sportline's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,007 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,009 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    maybe somebody forget something during the planning and design of pb. they forget the email. haha
  11. Steve Rizla's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    404 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    It's not really an infrastructure problem. More like a software implementation problem. It seems like they have already started to make moves in fixing the problem with the new focus on BBID though.


    Like others have said, the current situation is basically a one to one relationship: one account, one PIN.

    The new system should be: One account (BBID), multiple PINs (PlayBook, BlackBerry BIS, BlackBerry BES, etc)
    Make the BBID the master "container" with a various amount of PINs associated with it. If one device opens/deletes an email it would have to update the other devices as well.
  12. togardergrosse's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    663 Posts
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    PIN
    Disclosed
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rizla View Post
    It's not really an infrastructure problem. More like a software implementation problem. It seems like they have already started to make moves in fixing the problem with the new focus on BBID though.


    Like others have said, the current situation is basically a one to one relationship: one account, one PIN.

    The new system should be: One account (BBID), multiple PINs (PlayBook, BlackBerry BIS, BlackBerry BES, etc)
    Make the BBID the master "container" with a various amount of PINs associated with it. If one device opens/deletes an email it would have to update the other devices as well.
    Quite interesting..
    But the BBID Apps only available for BB OS7 phones, not "yet" on OS6 or even OS5.
    I'm scared to imagine if we have to use new OS7 phones in order to have multiple email on PlayBook and BB. But yeah,we can use BB ID for that though.. LOL

    Sent from my "other" Tablet.
    Phone history: Ericsson T20s > T28s > T29s > T39m > Sony Ericsson K508i > K640i > BlackBerry Curve 8330 > Bold 9650 > Galaxy Nexus & Bold 9900
    Tablet history: Galaxy Tab P1000 16Gb, PlayBook 16Gb

Posting Permissions