J-lo and P-bk, interesting.

I bought my wife a PlayBook as a Valentines Day surprise because of its small form factor, but I was not going to have her store it in her current grocery bag style purse where everything that goes in looks like it has gone through a rock tumbler. When we were in Kohls last week I insisted that she get a new purse for spring, one with internal compartments to help stay organized.

She ended up with a J-lo bag.
    My wife has literally used a reusable grocery bag as a purse - seriously.

I sent her back into the house to get a real purse and she came out with a small back pack saying, "It's better than a grocery bag."
    02-15-12 08:29 AM
    My wife has literally used a reusable grocery bag as a purse - seriously.

I sent her back into the house to get a real purse and she came out with a small back pack saying, "It's better than a grocery bag."

dude, your wife is awesome, who the wants to spend money on purses , i wish my girl would carry around a damn grocery bag, could probably save a whole lotta money that could be spent on another pb
    02-15-12 09:55 AM
    I prefer Opra because she gives away brand new cars like 2012 Vw Beetle

Still rim is smart to go after tv shows and celebrities this will surely spread the word
    I like them both for completely different reasons.

1. they are completely different people
    2. Ellen is funny and light hearted, where Oprah is thought provoking and inspiring.

I don't think it's a contest of who give away more or "better" gifts. I think that they give anything away at all speaks to their generosity and kindness (Yes, even if it is promotional, because they certainly don't have to).
    bitek likes this.
    02-15-12 10:10 AM
    dude, your wife is awesome, who the wants to spend money on purses , i wish my girl would carry around a damn grocery bag, could probably save a whole lotta money that could be spent on another pb
    Oh, listen, honeypie. Don't expect this old grocery bag thing to catch on. We women love our purses. I love my devices, too, but I carry them in a nice handbag, not a brown paper sack, thank you very much.
    02-15-12 10:22 AM
    1. they are completely different people
    Wait, I thought Oprah and Ellen were the same person! Thank you soooooo much for clearing that up---even without a two-page bio of Ellen.
    02-15-12 10:43 AM
    Wait, I thought Oprah and Ellen were the same person! Thank you soooooo much for clearing that up---even without a two-page bio of Ellen.
    Thank you for your smart alect comments.
    Did you read #2, which defined #1??

Kindly hear this: It's pretty obvious, at least to me, that we're not going to agree on much, at least on this topic (and maybe many more, since we seem to come from different planets).

This can have no postive outcome or create any value. I don't need or want to argue. It's not worth my time and energy.
    Last edited by cntrydncr223; 02-15-12 at 12:42 PM.
    Mecca EL and dugggggg like this.
    02-15-12 12:39 PM
    Oh, listen, honeypie. Don't expect this old grocery bag thing to catch on. We women love our purses. I love my devices, too, but I carry them in a nice handbag, not a brown paper sack, thank you very much.
    lol, i can hope cant i?
    02-15-12 01:00 PM
    I just watched Ellen's spring PB giveaway on YouTube. In it, she says she bought the audience their PBs. Did she say the same thing this time?

Not being a regular viewer of the show, I can't really tell whether she's being extremely generous---or extremely disingenuous.

Has she also given away iPads and Kindles, or is she a true PlayBook believer?

Just curious. Not trying to be provocative.
    02-15-12 02:23 PM
    If she paid for 400 playbooks and gave them away, how is that anything other than extremely generous??

I find it a very thoughtful and kind gesture when hosts give away items, even if they are not items I myself would have purchased. That can't take away from the generosity of the gesture, IMO.

Even at the discounted price, 400*200= a lot more money than I usually give away, especially in one sitting.
    I see that as generous, no matter who's idea, or what publicity she gleaned from it.

I can't remember the last time I gave away $80,000 (ok, I never did, did you), especially 400 people I don't know!!

Can't take that credit away from her.

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by cntrydncr223; 02-15-12 at 04:46 PM.
    02-15-12 03:50 PM
    I agree---if she simply went to Best Buy on her own and plunked down $300 x 400 as gifts for her faithful audience---then generous does not even begin to describe it.

However, throughout all of this thread, we've been piling on the credit to Thor and the RIM marketing department. Certainly, RIM would have gladly donated 400 PBs for the word of mouth alone. If that's the case, then why did Ellen say she bought them as gifts? Why not just say "from my generous friends at RIM"?
    02-15-12 06:18 PM
    I'm sure she wouldn't have any reason to lie about something like that on national tv.

You said that she said on you-tube that she purchased those for the spring show, right?

Who said she purchsed them for this last show (whenever it was, since I don't watch it that much either, and can only go with what was said here)? Maybe this last round was gifts from RIM. But if that's true, I would expect her to say as much on the show and give them full credit. Since I didn't see it, I have no idea what happened.
    02-15-12 08:47 PM
86 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD