I have noticed that I have a reduced amount of storage left on my 16gig device.

Can anyone explain and clear this up for me? I have a movie that is 3gigs in this directory
    z:\videos

Then the same file shows up under the "misc" folder in this directory
    Z:\misc\android\Movies

So it's there twice. However if I delete the movie from just the Z:\misc\android\Movies directory it will also delete it from the Z:\directory. So I'm thinking that maybe this means the file is actually only there once, still though I can't help thinking that would explain my missing 6gigs. Anyone have any ideas?

please help!!!!
    02-28-12 11:45 PM
    I have the same thing.
    02-28-12 11:47 PM
    Are you running low on storage space also?
    02-28-12 11:56 PM
    A few hours ago when I was using Air Browser I noticed the same thing. I deleted the music that was synched in the misc/music folder and it ended up deleting the music out of the pb music folder also. I noticed the deletion after I rebooted.
    02-29-12 12:01 AM
    that sucks....I noticed it through my pc. I deleted one wallpaper and realized that it was gone from both folders, and completely gone from my device. So I just easily put it back. Did you get your music back?
    02-29-12 12:03 AM
    I haven't confirmed it myself, but with QNX being a Unix-like OS, the Android "files" are likely just symlinks, or links to the real file and not a copy of the file. This is similar to shortcuts in Windows or an Alias on a Mac, although with the Mac being BSD at its core they use symlinks too, they just still call them an Alias from the pre OS X days.
    Wat3rloo likes this.
    02-29-12 12:05 AM
    that sucks....I noticed it through my pc. I deleted one wallpaper and realized that it was gone from both folders, and completely gone from my device. So I just easily put it back. Did you get your music back?
    Tomorrow when I turn on my desktop in the morning I'll use DM to put the music back. From my experience today I guess I wont be deleting music/videos out of android folder again.
    02-29-12 12:06 AM
    So it's there twice. However if I delete the movie from just the Z:\misc\android\Movies directory it will also delete it from the Z:\directory.
    The Z:\misc\android\Movies folder is just a sort of "shortcut" (a symbolic link) to the real Movies folder -- the movie files are there just once, but there are two ways of getting to them. See these two posts:

| http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7170863
    | http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7171955
    EricB1968 and Wat3rloo like this.
    02-29-12 12:06 AM
    I haven't confirmed it myself, but with QNX being a Unix-like OS, the Android "files" are likely just symlinks, or links to the real file and not a copy of the file. This is similar to shortcuts in Windows or an Alias on a Mac, although with the Mac being BSD at its core they use symlinks too, they just still call them an Alias from the pre OS X days.
    Thats what I assumed also, but the math just doesn't add up. I AM missing storage space, and this may be the answer. Thank you for all your techno talk e.e

02-29-12 12:08 AM
    I stand with Wat3rloo here... I also read everywhere that they are just "kind of shortcuts", but unfortunately that does not justify the use of storage space equal to the original file.
    04-05-12 04:57 AM
    shikhar10882, the term "shortcut" is meant to imply that these DO NOT use storage space equal to the original file.

The folder they are in is a symbolic link to the original folder. There are NOT two files. There is only one file, and two entries pointing to it.

It's like having a business phone number listed in both the Yellow Pages and the White Pages: this doesn't mean you have two businesses.

If you think you're missing storage, you may well be, but it's not because of any "duplication" in this area. Look elsewhere.
    04-05-12 07:31 AM
    Windows (I don't know mac) does not deal with these "shortcuts" appropriately when assessing memory or space-used. It canNOT be relied upon to show what's really happening with those files.
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-05-12 09:42 AM
    similiar thread started 7 days previous but also popping up today, but by pg 3 seemingly more indepth ??!

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...76/index3.html
    04-05-12 06:59 PM
    shikhar10882, the term "shortcut" is meant to imply that these DO NOT use storage space equal to the original file.

The folder they are in is a symbolic link to the original folder. There are NOT two files. There is only one file, and two entries pointing to it.

It's like having a business phone number listed in both the Yellow Pages and the White Pages: this doesn't mean you have two businesses.

If you think you're missing storage, you may well be, but it's not because of any "duplication" in this area. Look elsewhere.
    I have done checks on all three, the PB interface, windows explorer and space sniffer. When I add 1 GB of data, all interfaces show 2 GB added and if i delete 1 GB worth of data, 2 GB worth of free space is shown as freed up. Obviously this isn't just a link count for the double count - and if it is, I can't put in more than 16GB of UNIQUE data/media into the playbook because of this double count. Is anyone coming across this issue? Has anyone solved it?
    08-10-12 02:20 PM
    I have done checks on all three, the PB interface, windows explorer and space sniffer. When I add 1 GB of data, all interfaces show 2 GB added and if i delete 1 GB worth of data, 2 GB worth of free space is shown as freed up. Obviously this isn't just a link count for the double count - and if it is, I can't put in more than 16GB of UNIQUE data/media into the playbook because of this double count. Is anyone coming across this issue? Has anyone solved it?
    It's just a link. Open Desktop Software, ask for a custom backup and you'll see the real amounts of space being used by your media files.

Windows Explorer is mistakenly led to believe the files are not links. I have a 32 GB PB. If my misc really had 7.32 GB of data, I would have busted my maximum storage by over 2 GBs.
    08-10-12 03:12 PM
    It's just a link. Open Desktop Software, ask for a custom backup and you'll see the real amounts of space being used by your media files.

Windows Explorer is mistakenly led to believe the files are not links. I have a 32 GB PB. If my misc really had 7.32 GB of data, I would have busted my maximum storage by over 2 GBs.
    yet someone mentioned previously in this thread that Windows doesn't allocate or appropriate this kind of storage correctly so Desktop Manager would only backup the "7.32GB" in your example above.

The key is if it was a symlink (or symbolic link) then why is the items listed not iconed as such, and the file path or size not reflecting this; directly on the devices File Manager (BB10 has this situation as well) ??
    06-14-13 12:39 PM
    yet someone mentioned previously in this thread that Windows doesn't allocate or appropriate this kind of storage correctly so Desktop Manager would only backup the "7.32GB" in your example above.

The key is if it was a symlink (or symbolic link) then why is the items listed not iconed as such, and the file path or size not reflecting this; directly on the devices File Manager (BB10 has this situation as well) ??
    Desktop Software is not Windows. It knows how to read the filesystem. It will only backup the right amount of data for each thing.

But thanks for bringing a dead thread back to life.
    06-14-13 02:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD