06-30-12 10:23 AM
- Just noticed the issue, playbook at 15% of charge does not charge at all nor usb sees it. Found out if turned of and than plugged to usb or charger does wake him up but no charging occur. Was bought from ebay in UK 2 weeks ago, so far was very pleased about this gadget. Any suggestions?05-18-11 07:13 PM
- 05-19-11 04:16 AM
- how do you know it's not charging? Unless you'r using a power-adapter that came with the PB or an equivalent power-source the PB does not show you the "lightning"-symbol on the battery. But if you hook it to a USB port and touch the small symbol the big version of the battery should have a lightning symbol on it and indeed charge the device. Just takes some time (hours!) and you should not play with it while you charge as that will cost more power than you supply it with via USB hence the battery level will drop.05-19-11 04:23 AM
- 05-19-11 04:28 AM
- If you are using an power adapter designed for the BlackBerry PlayBook and the lightning symbol does not appear on the battery symbol on the main screen, either your device is faulty or you need to let the device completely drain its battery before attempting to recharge the device. Another way to test if the micro-USB port is faulty is to use a rapid charger which charges via the micro-HDMI port. Oh, be certain you have the latest version of the operating system installed.05-19-11 05:52 AM
- Have the same problem here in usa. have had playbook since 19 april, always charged. have electric bby charger and many other usb connections. all charge my style 9670 btw. no matter what i do i get no lightening indicator. when i do plug it into usb to sync the computer responds that playbook is connected. but got no charging indicator. Now i do plug it in and am getting the charge indicator. it is even now backing up to the computer. i must have a loose connection in the playbook. does this have to be sent back. if it wont charge 12 different attempts to plug in, but finally does when i wiggle it?07-03-11 09:14 PM
- I have had this problem on occasion where whether my PB is on the charging stand or plugged into the charger than came with it, i don't get the charging symbol. If i remove it and then put it back on the pod, or unplug it and replug it in it will then start to charge. Since this happens with the plug in charger as well as the stand i don't think it is a loose connection, but rather a software bug.07-04-11 10:15 AM
- Get a USB cable directly from BB. I am not sure why but it is the only USB cable that works to charge my PB. The USB cord I purchased with my car charger (which was an official BB partner product but did not have a BB logo on it) charges my Torch but does not charge my PB. I get a warning notice in the top left. The only visible difference between the 2 USB cables was gauge of the wire, the BB branded wire which worked was much thicker.
Interesting enough the when I use the BB USB from my Torch I can charge the PB using that car charger and pretty much any power source with a USB port including apple.
When I connect the non BB branded cable to my laptop, the PB charges and transfers data without problems. Wierd...
Last edited by Just Me; 07-04-11 at 01:40 PM. Reason: More information07-04-11 10:57 AM
- I think that this is a software issue. I have a highspeed charging stand and a micro usb cord as well as a micro usb charger from my picket wifi. If I charge the playbook with between 20 to 50% battery left, it doesn't show the lightning bolt on the battery icon. If I take it off and put it on the charging pod it shows the lightning for a second then goes away. I keep repeating this until it charges. It can take up to eight times before it takes the charge. If I plug it into the blackberry micro usb it takes a charge all the time. If I use the micro wifi, it shows the plug symbol, which means it is fully charged but the battery was showing less than 50%. I hope future updates will correct this problem.
I thought it was a connection problem, but it works fine under 20% and over 50% as it always catches on the first try. The charging stand charges at a higher speed using the magnetic connection and the software may have trouble deciding what to do when connected. The other micro usb also works to charge under 20% and over 50%, so I was reluctant to take back the playbook. It is a bit of a hassle, but not that big of a problem. I have had the playbook since 4/19 and have never had any other issues and I am sure this will be resolved in future updates.07-04-11 12:31 PM
- I had a problem similar to Schlymer. I always charge my PB when it's off so that I can see the LED's. On a couple of occasions the PB stopped charging after a few minutes, had to try again for it to take the charge. Then another day I wanted to top it up from 42% charge but it stopped at 51%, switched it on and the lightening bolt would change to the battery indicator and would not go past 51%. Phoned PB support and they said to give it an overnight charge switched on rather than off. I did but in the morning it showed 100% charge but rebooted without warning then dropped to 26%. Tried again but wouldn't charge above 26%. Support thought it must be a faulty PB but asked me to connect to my PC. Even though there wasn't a lightning bolt symbol (just the plug symbol) it did take a very slow charge. He explained it will charge but will take much longer. Support asked me to leave it for about 4 hours and they will call back. After 4 hours it had charged to about 52% so we concluded that the charge circuit was OK and maybe the charger was faulty. Returned the charger to Curry's and the replacement works as it should. But this could be coincidence as I left the PB connected to the PC and for a while it showed 62% charge then jumped to 100%. With use it discharged slowly as normal so maybe as support also pointed out a slow charge helped to calibrate the battery, so I can't be sure if it was the charger or software/calibration issue. BTW I used the USB cable supplied with the PB. Got to say the support team were excellent, can't fault them. Just thought I would mention this as it may help someone, thanks.07-04-11 05:30 PMLike 2
- I had the same problem,called bb tech support and they said the charger was faulty and would send me a free replacement. Funny thing is when i got it today it was the rapid charger and not same that came with the pb. Not complaining or anything,its a better charger,its just weird.12-22-11 12:01 AM
- I am having the same problems as everyone else, tried 3 different chargers, all Blackberry, including the one the PB came with, as well as 2 different USB chargers, including the one the PB came with.
Was going to call Blackberry for warranty service, but only thing I can find is a warranty phone number you have to pay for? Surely there must be a way to get warranty service without having to pay. I've never heard of something as crazy as that.
Any suggestions?12-25-11 08:13 PM
- I just had similar problem with my tablet. it would not charge. i though this was issue with the power supply. so i borrowed one for bb phone that was micro usb. pb would charge with it no problem. than i plugged in my original pb power supply and all the sudden it would start working again with my pb. weird to say at least12-25-11 08:22 PM
- Playbook needs to charge using the OEM charger that comes with it. A Blackberry phone charger will only minimally charge the Playbook as it doesn't put out enough power. The Playbook will also only minimally charge over the USB connection to the computer because it doesn't get enough power through the USB to charge.12-25-11 08:25 PM
- Playbook needs to charge using the OEM charger that comes with it. A Blackberry phone charger will only minimally charge the Playbook as it doesn't put out enough power. The Playbook will also only minimally charge over the USB connection to the computer because it doesn't get enough power through the USB to charge.12-25-11 08:32 PM
- I guess make sure that the socket you are using is on and not a switched outlet. Use the ac adapter that came with the playbook. You might try a reboot if something got out of whack.
The pb has a one year warranty. They do confuse people because they have a 90 day free Tech support. But if you have a charging issue that should be a warranty claim.
Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
Last edited by F2; 12-25-11 at 11:57 PM.12-25-11 11:54 PMLike 1
- I too have the same problem using the dock/rapid charger. Sometimes it will charger and other times it will not. So far my usb charger has worked every time. I think it's a software bug that is the preventing it from charging with the rapid charger because the lightning bolt will show and then go away after several seconds when it's not going to charger. This is a lame problem to have on such a great device.12-27-11 04:45 AMLike 1
- I too have the same problem using the dock/rapid charger. Sometimes it will charger and other times it will not. So far my usb charger has worked every time. I think it's a software bug that is the preventing it from charging with the rapid charger because the lightning bolt will show and then go away after several seconds when it's not going to charger. This is a lame problem to have on such a great device.
Check the spring-loaded pins in the plug? Are they they same height or is one slightly recessed (lower)?
When attaching, make sure it really is seated properly. Mine pb is in an otterbox. So I can attach the plug with wire right and the lightning bolt will show but it will not charge because the plug is slightly off angle. So some contact will show the lightning bolt but it is not engaged and charging will not occur.12-27-11 09:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD