Mine has a charge sorry... Couldn't help myself
    04-12-14 11:40 AM
    I have ocean front property in Illinois to sell some people here.
    DrBoomBotz and anon(5061193) like this.
    04-12-14 12:00 PM
    Lake front on N.Michigan will do.

Will continue to use my two PBs as long as they work. After another year I think Windows will probably be the place to go. Maybe BB will have a 64 bit processor with 6 GB RAM from Intel which they can load Linux and a retooled QNX BB section on but if that happens before 2016 it will be a miracle. They would have to make the system compatible with phones, desk top machines and servers.
    04-12-14 12:23 PM
    Ah, the sweet smell of ridicule in the morning...
    DrBoomBotz and axllebeer like this.
    04-12-14 12:33 PM
    They are all poor....did you see what BB done to their portfolio ? ALLEGEDLY the only way is UP...not SO ! :/
    04-12-14 01:00 PM

Will continue to use my two PBs as long as they work. After another year I think Windows will probably be the place to go. Maybe BB will have a 64 bit processor with 6 GB RAM from Intel which they can load Linux and a retooled QNX BB section on but if that happens before 2016 it will be a miracle. They would have to make the system compatible with phones, desk top machines and servers.
    Its defo easier to to do that than connect with the pro/consumer market after you have royally pee'd off to no end and are clawing at sales with your CEO begging hand to mouth out a suitcase round the world...just a thought...
    04-12-14 01:02 PM

Yep they still work. But there will be no more improvements to the OS. If there was going to be we would've had something awhile ago. Not just a security flash and what little else was in the last one.
    04-12-14 01:19 PM
    Yep they still work. But there will be no more improvements to the OS. If there was going to be we would've had something awhile ago. Not just a security flash and what little else was in the last one.
    Security updates may continue to come because they will be required to satisfy goverment and other instutional users. There also may be some OS updates to satiisfy that group. And maybe we would also get them.
    axllebeer likes this.
    04-12-14 04:50 PM
    I'm not in the dark, wait I am, but aside of that, I'm not done with my PlayBook yet. Perhaps I need to just start writing all my own apps and put them in App World for 99 cents. Then I can take the PlayBook as far as I want to.

@OP - it would seem that you missed all the fun! You're not wrong BTW, but stating the obvious won't convince anyone still in the dark, I'm afraid...
    04-13-14 09:56 PM
    I'm not in the dark, wait I am, but aside of that, I'm not done with my PlayBook yet. Perhaps I need to just start writing all my own apps and put them in App World for 99 cents. Then I can take the PlayBook as far as I want to.
    make some videos, we could all do with knowing code to support our own PB's...not pointing the finger at anyone Blackberry...
    axllebeer and EchoesFX like this.
    04-13-14 10:23 PM
    make some videos, we could all do with knowing code to support our own PB's...not pointing the finger at anyone Blackberry...
    The only problem is that I have a long way to go. I'm not a Dev but I was playing poker tonight with 1 and he is developing a few Android apps. I told him "just so you know, BlackBerry supports Android apps you know and even if you don't have the time to make a native app, you can still throw your app up in App World and will get a response."

He was very interested actually. Had no idea he could do this.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Tab 3 using the CB Forums App.
    04-13-14 10:28 PM
    Programming your own apps is one thing, but the issues go deeper. I've tried every possible way of getting into the protected boot ROM on the thing so that I can either:

- Patch/add features/enhance the existing OS, or
    - Dual boot Android

Thing is, you can't - Dam things all about security and it's well protected in that department. I'm disappointed with the API BlackBerry released to program for QNX, as a LOT of the features that would make something perhaps useful, or deeply integrated (or god forbid should actually run in the background) are not available to us. BlackBerry keep all that for themselves.

So, with minimal documentation about how everything software side works, and with many areas you can't even tap into, I found it's a very laborious task of trial and error with code to see if you get the desired result or nifty workaround. Then I got bored and frustrated with it.

I (so my employer says) am very good at C++, and design engineering software and create bespoke OS for a living, so to me making a simple enhancement for this *should* have been easy. BlackBerry should release a bit more about how it works, and unlock (or explain how to unlock) the dammed boot area, then I can do what I wanted!!! :-D
    axllebeer likes this.
    04-14-14 05:14 AM
    Your out of luck again geek, that will never happen. Blackberry is about security and there is no way blackberry could let you tamper with the OS without greatly compromising blackberry 10.

It would be counterintuitive.

Everything has been done to try to hack it from the software side and hardware side using JTAG

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    04-14-14 07:23 AM
    Yes, that much I already know. I was suggesting that given how late in the PB's life we are now, I see no harm in allowing the community to keep it going now - If they want to.

It will do no harm to BlackBerry if even at the very least it allow you to dual boot and leave QNX isolated...
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    04-14-14 09:22 AM
    Yes, that much I already know. I was suggesting that given how late in the PB's life we are now, I see no harm in allowing the community to keep it going now - If they want to.

It will do no harm to BlackBerry if even at the very least it allow you to dual boot and leave QNX isolated...
    Exactly let us dual boot...get Bridge up in Google Play/Apple Store, you already whoring out BBM, give us the right to use our BB on any tablet and the right to dual boot to Android if you wont gives us updated Andy runtimes and security updates.

Literally we are sitting with a door holder as its only a matter of time b4 someone will exploit it and even bridged to your BB phone NONE of your 'SECURE' BB environment will be secure at all using a PB...that will effect EVERY one of the BB OS's.

How long before you cant buy any apps because your card information at BB World entry is tracked.
    04-14-14 09:50 AM
    Bridge to Google? I'm already ahead of you. :-) I'm making a bridge like app you can install on BB10 and use on Kit Kat tablets or another phone using the OS. This is actually a lot easier than my efforts at trying to make a "new" bridge (that works like BBOS and PB already do) between the PB and BB10. Yes, the PlayBook OS is locked down that much. So frustrating.

I'll get it out for beta once I've got a few complexities with the Android side of the app stable, but that's a separate thread entirely.

As for dual booting being figured out "eventually" - I disagree. I don't pretend to be the best software programmer out there, but whatever security BB put into the bootloader on the PB is strong. Other than establishing a connection to the device and looking at the mapped drives internally, you just get a load of errors or null responses if you force attempt to read, let alone modify any of those protected files.

Determined users gave up long ago trying to work around it, and I can't see anything changing now. Sorry.
    Last edited by geekl33tgamer; 04-14-14 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Typos
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-14-14 11:34 AM
    Keep going with the BB10 app

I meant BB letting us dual boot
    geekl33tgamer likes this.
    04-14-14 12:06 PM
    Keep going with the BB10 app

I meant BB letting us dual boot
    Don't believe the hardware is up to it.
    04-14-14 03:29 PM
    There is a marked difference between making the most of a dying device and prolonging its life for as long as possible, hoping for as much support from the company as you can get, and deluding yourself it still has an actual future and wishing for a lot of enhancements the company will never invest in. The first option is fully understandable and I think its a good attitude, the second is more problematic to say the least...
    kbz1960 and Barracuda7772 like this.
    04-15-14 06:00 AM
    The company doesn't need to even invest anything, the tools we DO have available haven't really been pushed to their limits and the past year seems to have been focused on the "can't do" and not "but you can do this instead".

Check out the most recent update to Animal Battle on PlayBook. Only last month and it's probably the first game ever that has supported a gamepad on PlayBook. It may not be HID mode support but keyboard mode controllers exist and *finally* someone has made use of one.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 10:37 AM
    Dual Core TI OMAP Processor at 1Ghz and 1GB of RAM at the very least?

Easily enough to get Gingerbread running at a good level...
    04-15-14 11:01 AM
    The company doesn't need to even invest anything, the tools we DO have available haven't really been pushed to their limits and the past year seems to have been focused on the "can't do" and not "but you can do this instead".

Check out the most recent update to Animal Battle on PlayBook. Only last month and it's probably the first game ever that has supported a gamepad on PlayBook. It may not be HID mode support but keyboard mode controllers exist and *finally* someone has made use of one.

Posted via CB10
    You're absolutely right, but the Playbook user community never stepped up to facilitate such developments. Part of the problem when trying to prolong the life of the Playbook is the attitude of the Playbook user The "can't do" attitude is too deeply rooted IMHO...

edit: To me personally this was the biggest disappointment in the round of action I engaged in. The lack of willingness to "fight" was somewhat shocking and back then even more could have been achieved IMHO.
    04-15-14 11:11 AM
    You're absolutely right, but the Playbook user community never stepped up to facilitate such developments. Part of the problem when trying to prolong the life of the Playbook is the attitude of the Playbook user The "can't do" attitude is too deeply rooted IMHO...

edit: To me personally this was the biggest disappointment in the round of action I engaged in. The lack of willingness to "fight" was somewhat shocking and back then even more could have been achieved IMHO.
    How long have you been around here? There were several efforts that did nothing. It's almost insane now over 3 years later to demand updates for a failed product from a company fighting to survive . Now if the product sold to more than a handful (in relation to anything else) maybe, just maybe.
    04-15-14 11:24 AM
    I haven't been around that long, if that really matters. I "landed" here a couple of months before the "no BB10" announcement, meddled in the "actions" after that, focused on getting the most out of the PB now BB10 wasn't an option anymore and my opinion as to the way the community reacted then is just that: an opinion.

edited out additional "editorial"
    Last edited by Hirazi Blue; 04-15-14 at 12:24 PM.
    04-15-14 12:05 PM
    I haven't been around that long, if that really matters. I "landed" here a couple of months before the "no BB10" announcement, meddled in the "actions" after that, focused on getting the most out of the PB now BB10 wasn't an option anymore and my opinion as to the way the community reacted then is just that: an opinion.

edited out additional "editorial"
    You are correct, nothing ever gets done with a 'can't do' attitude. We have achieved alot. Thanks for all the support.

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    04-15-14 12:26 PM
93 1234