Ok, I bought a Playbook for my parents and GF when it dropped to $200 and all-in-all it's been a pretty good Tablet in the 7" category. It never matched up to iPad, and now with Nexus 7 and other devices it's even further under pressure.

However, I strongly believe that Window 8 tablet, specially the Surface will end Playbook once and for all (and most Android tablets, iPad will remain). I just used Surface and oh boy, is it NICE! I am gonna buy one for my parents,and one for GF as Xmas gift and I'd get the Pro when it comes out. RT does 90% of what a casual user does/needs (my parents/GF), and Pro does everything... the Tablet Apps on it are sparse, BUT, they are higher quality IMO than what's on Playbook and will just grow.

I actually think *tablets* and *laptops* as we know it today will NOT exist in 3-5yrs, every laptop will be a tablet and vice-versa. I HATE carrying both my laptop and iPad when I travel for work, and I want ONE device to do both, and to do both well, and Surface does that extremely well, and will just improve moving forward.

So, what do you guys think?

- Should RIM just kill Playbook? and focus on BB10?
    - Should a BB10 OS expand into Playbook?
    - Should a new Playbook be released with similar size to iPad Mini (7" is just a bit too small)?

Cheers!
    In short, PB is live again when BB10 hits this baby.
    11-01-12 01:45 PM
    I tried the surface rt last sunday, and its ok. Its going to have ms office someday, but you have to wait for it to be released (kinda like bb10). It wont load any programs except apps from microsofts app store.

The playbook basically has the same abilities except for the active panes. The peek from the side feature looks very similar to what was showcased with the bb10 phones a few weeks back. In fact alot of what is on the surface looks very close to what is supposed to be on the bb10 phones. If all i was ever going to do is use ms office, i might buy it, but not for $499. I think ill wait for the surface pro, but it will probably cost $899+. Im not sure its worth that much.
    BerryClever likes this.
    11-01-12 02:16 PM
    I tried the surface rt last sunday, and its ok. Its going to have ms office someday, but you have to wait for it to be released (kinda like bb10). It wont load any programs except apps from microsofts app store.

The playbook basically has the same abilities except for the active panes. The peek from the side feature looks very similar to what was showcased with the bb10 phones a few weeks back. In fact alot of what is on the surface looks very close to what is supposed to be on the bb10 phones. If all i was ever going to do is use ms office, i might buy it, but not for $499. I think ill wait for the surface pro, but it will probably cost $899+. Im not sure its worth that much.
    The Surface already has Office 2013 pre-installed. You say you tried it...what did you do, poke at the screen 3 times and call it quits?

Windows 8 looks nothing like anything showed off for BB10...and the Playbook cannot hold a candle to the Surface when it comes to Multitasking.
    11-01-12 02:42 PM
    The Surface already has Office 2013 pre-installed. You say you tried it...what did you do, poke at the screen 3 times and call it quits?

Windows 8 looks nothing like anything showed off for BB10...and the Playbook cannot hold a candle to the Surface when it comes to Multitasking.
    Office 2013 hasnt been released yet.

1 Preview edition installed. Final Office version will be installed via Windows Update when available (free download; ISP fees apply). Some features and programs unsupported. See Office Home & Student RT Preview - Office.com 2 Works exclusively with apps from the Windows Store. 3 Wi-Fi required; ISP fees apply..

Have you even seen the surface yet?
    11-01-12 02:57 PM
    Ok, I bought a Playbook for my parents and GF when it dropped to $200 and all-in-all it's been a pretty good Tablet in the 7" category. It never matched up to iPad, and now with Nexus 7 and other devices it's even further under pressure.

However, I strongly believe that Window 8 tablet, specially the Surface will end Playbook once and for all (and most Android tablets, iPad will remain). I just used Surface and oh boy, is it NICE! I am gonna buy one for my parents,and one for GF as Xmas gift and I'd get the Pro when it comes out. RT does 90% of what a casual user does/needs (my parents/GF), and Pro does everything... the Tablet Apps on it are sparse, BUT, they are higher quality IMO than what's on Playbook and will just grow.

I actually think *tablets* and *laptops* as we know it today will NOT exist in 3-5yrs, every laptop will be a tablet and vice-versa. I HATE carrying both my laptop and iPad when I travel for work, and I want ONE device to do both, and to do both well, and Surface does that extremely well, and will just improve moving forward.

- Should RIM just kill Playbook? and focus on BB10?
    - Should a BB10 OS expand into Playbook?
    - Should a new Playbook be released with similar size to iPad Mini (7" is just a bit too small)?

Cheers!
    Marketing wise, the PB doesn't match up to the iPad or even Nexus 7 BUT hardware wise and quality wise it does quite nicely. You are speaking about personal preference and fads.

-BB10 is going onto the PlayBook, so by focusing on BB10 they are also focusing on PB and future tablets.
    -BB10 OS will be on the PlayBook. It has been announced already.
    -A new PlayBook will be released as a ~10 inch (Black Forest I believe it is being called).

Having a tablet that can do everything that a laptop can do will hurt the other 2 markets (Android and BB10), but it won't kill those two- Apple can make their own tablet/laptop to compete with MS. RIM and Google would have to make sure that their "companion tablets" will work nicely with both Windows and OSX software.
    11-01-12 03:03 PM
    Office 2013 hasnt been released yet.

1 Preview edition installed. Final Office version will be installed via Windows Update when available (free download; ISP fees apply). Some features and programs unsupported. See Office Home & Student RT Preview - Office.com 2 Works exclusively with apps from the Windows Store. 3 Wi-Fi required; ISP fees apply..

Have you even seen the surface yet?
    It is for the RT - the update was available on launch - the surface runs the final version.
    Akuji_ism likes this.
    11-01-12 03:44 PM
    iPad has ~70% of the tablet market.
    All Android tablets combined has ~20%.
    Blackberry (RIM), Microsoft and any other OS make up the remaining ~10%.

So if Microsoft gets 5% of the market and Blackberry gets 4% is that a real victory or defeat for either one?
    The real fight here is for last place.
    11-01-12 04:44 PM
    Nope, my Playbook is working great. Better than when I opened the box for first use, actually. Thanks to updates that RIM has been pushing. So to answer the OPs question again, no it is not dead.
    11-01-12 05:00 PM
    Without Skype and Netflix the Playbook is done...
    ...It's got a great ( I would say the best ) U.I. and is built like a tank.
    ...But unfortunately the device isn't functional compared to ipad, Droid or the RT.

If RIM can find a way to deliver those popular APPS that everyone else has no problem getting....
    ...It could easily breath life back into the Playbook - without that functionality people simply demand.
    ...The Playbook will remain the practical joke of the tablet world.
    Are these the only 2 apps that playbook doesn't have that people really want??? I keep hearing (reading) this over and over and I just can't understand how 2 apps, out of hundreds of thousands, can create such an uproar. I can stream video just fine on my PB from other sources (and here in Canada, my selection is far greater than what's offered on Netflix). As for Skype.... I, personaly, just don't have any use for it. I can text, BBM, email, or make a call. That's essentially what it is isn't it? (I really don't know as don't know anyone that uses it and if they do, I simply haven't been told)
    FF22, Vorkosigan and BerryClever like this.
    11-01-12 05:34 PM
    iPad has ~70% of the tablet market.
    All Android tablets combined has ~20%.
    Blackberry (RIM), Microsoft and any other OS make up the remaining ~10%.

So if Microsoft gets 5% of the market and Blackberry gets 4% is that a real victory or defeat for either one?
    The real fight here is for last place.
    Your data is a little out of date.

iPad isn't 70%, it's 56.7
    Android isn't 20% it's 41.3
    Microsoft is 1.6%
    The rest: 0.4%

Source:
    Angus_CB likes this.
    11-01-12 05:42 PM
    Are these the only 2 apps that playbook doesn't have that people really want??? I keep hearing (reading) this over and over and I just can't understand how 2 apps, out of hundreds of thousands, can create such an uproar. I can stream video just fine on my PB from other sources (and here in Canada, my selection is far greater than what's offered on Netflix). As for Skype.... I, personaly, just don't have any use for it. I can text, BBM, email, or make a call. That's essentially what it is isn't it? (I really don't know as don't know anyone that uses it and if they do, I simply haven't been told)
    Not the only two, but they are very popular and I know people who have turned down a Playbook because it didn't offer these apps, a long with others. Netflix may be lacking in Canada and you may not care for Skype, I don't either, but it seems a lot of people do.
    11-01-12 05:47 PM
    I dont know anything better than blackberry playbook, cheap, Nice, awsome software and now sideload Android apps is the beggining because when bb10 get outros Will explode all playbook to another level.

Apple got famous because is very cool and gangsta to haver a ipad our a iphone only to send txt mensagem and call mom --"
    11-01-12 05:50 PM
    Good question. Here is another. "Will Windows 7 be dead after Windows 8?". Not every version of Windows was a success, but, Windows 7 is a very good OS and historically Microsoft has not released two well made operating systems in a row. Personally, I'm keeping Windows 7 and if BlackBerry releases a new tablet than that's cool. If they don't, than my 9900 or BB10 will do just fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-01-12 06:39 PM
    [QUOTE=AlexBC;7705087]

________

Sell your PB. There are those in line waiting to get one on the cheap.
    11-01-12 07:07 PM
    From Chris Parillo's unboxing and review, the surface won't be replacing my PB. Dropped frames on 1080p video, responsiveness,sound. From my limited knowledge, the new os does have some neat gestures. I say the PB in its current state doesn't have Surface to blame for anything.
    11-01-12 07:51 PM
    Browsing through Windows Store reminded me of App World for the Playbook a year ago. It is kind of depressing.
    Yes it does have Skype , yes, it does have Netflix. You can't miss it. It is the first 2 app you see when you go into the Window Store.
    The plus that I give to window store are some of the free xbox games. They are kind of fun.
    11-01-12 10:04 PM
    Good question. Here is another. "Will Windows 7 be dead after Windows 8?". Not every version of Windows was a success, but, Windows 7 is a very good OS and historically Microsoft has not released two well made operating systems in a row. Personally, I'm keeping Windows 7 and if BlackBerry releases a new tablet than that's cool. If they don't, than my 9900 or BB10 will do just fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    This bullcrap needs to end now. Windows 8 is stable, runs better in Desktop mode than Windows 7 and comes with many enhancements out the gate. it is BETTER than Windows 7.

Upgrade fees are cheap enough...the major change between 8 and 7 is the addition of the Metro mode and removal of the Start button. Simply install start8 software and you'll bypass Metro entirely and be left with a desktop mode with a start menu that is visibly better than Windows 7.

Any 'power user' that claims to be put off Windows 8 is not deserving of that title.

Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?-start8.jpg

Start8 boots directly to the desktop and brings back the Start button. Just for $4.99!

TLDR; Windows 8 > Windows 7. If metro is not your thing, install Start8 and get a better desktop experience.
    11-02-12 02:43 AM
    I don't understand the fixation on the start menu - windows key plus q does everything I need.
    11-02-12 02:59 AM
    Not the only two, but they are very popular and I know people who have turned down a Playbook because it didn't offer these apps, a long with others. Netflix may be lacking in Canada and you may not care for Skype, I don't either, but it seems a lot of people do.
    The problem is that Skype is VERY poorly implemented on BOTH Android and Windows RT. I've used Skype on Android and, while it works (barely), the call quality/reliability and overall stability of the app stinks. Plus, Android still doesn't support full Bluetooth headset functionality, which means I'm left screaming at my tablet's crappy microphone when making a voice or video call.

Also, I can't access many of Skype's more advanced features under Android - for example, listening to voicemails. Half the time there's no link or playback button within the call history. And yet, when I check my Skype account under Windows 7, the voicemails are right where I'd expect them to be.

FWIW, I installed the new Windows 8/RT-specific version of Skype from the Windows Store and ran into similar issues - no voicemail, no way to access advanced feature, etc. This was on Windows 8 Pro, so at least I can work around it by installing the now "legacy" Win32 version. But if I were running RT I'd be SOL.

Bottom Line: When people harp on the PB for lacking Skype vs. Android or Windows RT, they're really being disingenuous. The versions that I've used are far from complete and pale in comparison to the native Win32 version most people think of when you say the name "Skype."

RCK
    11-02-12 03:54 AM
    The problem is that Skype is VERY poorly implemented on BOTH Android and Windows RT. I've used Skype on Android and, while it works (barely), the call quality/reliability and overall stability of the app stinks. Plus, Android still doesn't support full Bluetooth headset functionality, which means I'm left screaming at my tablet's crappy microphone when making a voice or video call.

Also, I can't access many of Skype's more advanced features under Android - for example, listening to voicemails. Half the time there's no link or playback button within the call history. And yet, when I check my Skype account under Windows 7, the voicemails are right where I'd expect them to be.

FWIW, I installed the new Windows 8/RT-specific version of Skype from the Windows Store and ran into similar issues - no voicemail, no way to access advanced feature, etc. This was on Windows 8 Pro, so at least I can work around it by installing the now "legacy" Win32 version. But if I were running RT I'd be SOL.

Bottom Line: When people harp on the PB for lacking Skype vs. Android or Windows RT, they're really being disingenuous. The versions that I've used are far from complete and pale in comparison to the native Win32 version most people think of when you say the name "Skype."

RCK
    So it's better for it not to be there at all than to be there and be fully functional? It makes video calls, voice calls and supports 95% of the desktop app features. I find your argument to be utterly RIDICULOUS! So Skype isn't a great experience because it isn't 100% on par feature-to-feature with the win32 client?

Finally, 'Android' is not a device. if Skype call quality was not awesome on ONE Android tablet you tried, why try to paint a picture of the app being 'unreliable and unstable' across all android devices?
    adi_vastava likes this.
    11-02-12 04:37 AM
    Realistically... Microsoft has it right. Not sure about Windows RT so much, but a Surface running Windows 8 will be the choice for 90% of people looking to replace their personal laptop or desktop when the time comes. When they purchase the Surface, they will realise that they have a FULL PC and a tablet in one, designed for the user as a touch device.

I just upgraded to Windows 8 on my home PC. It's good. Really good. Why would people have a home PC, laptop and iPad or PlayBook when the Surface running Windows 8 is all those things... and maybe better than any one of them. Remember, the Surface running Windows 8 will run all regular Windows apps and those specifically designed for Metro.

So, Microsoft finally got it right. Even iPad owners own PCs or Macs. The ones that own PCs will upgrade to a Surface eventually and then realise that they don't need the iPad. Unfortunately, this applies to the PlayBook too.... as much as I don't want it to.

Damn... Microsoft is good.
    11-02-12 05:21 AM
    Realistically... Microsoft has it right. Not sure about Windows RT so much, but a Surface running Windows 8 will be the choice for 90% of people looking to replace their personal laptop or desktop when the time comes. When they purchase the Surface, they will realise that they have a FULL PC and a tablet in one, designed for the user as a touch device.

I just upgraded to Windows 8 on my home PC. It's good. Really good. Why would people have a home PC, laptop and iPad or PlayBook when the Surface running Windows 8 is all those things... and maybe better than any one of them. Remember, the Surface running Windows 8 will run all regular Windows apps and those specifically designed for Metro.

So, Microsoft finally got it right. Even iPad owners own PCs or Macs. The ones that own PCs will upgrade to a Surface eventually and then realise that they don't need the iPad. Unfortunately, this applies to the PlayBook too.... as much as I don't want it to.

This is the biggie, for me.

I haven't got much time for Win RT, since it limits everything to Metro. But Win 8 on Surface (or any other quality tablet) will be awesome. Imagine all software you could run on your laptop, on the tablet.

I am also thinking of all the games I play on the laptop.

So, by the time BB will come out with their holy grail BB10 (god knows when) I will probably move on.

We shall see.
    11-02-12 05:47 AM

Bingo. And they'll be on the shelves over the next few weeks for around $750
    11-02-12 05:51 AM
    Bingo. And they'll be on the shelves over the next few weeks for around $750
    My daughter has been bugging me for an iPad for Christmas....But why by an iPad when I can buy her a Surface which will actually be useful for school and be able to hook up to our home printers, scanners and other things easily. The economics of an iPad or PlayBook just stopped making sense to me.

For goodness sake....she can run AutoCAD on the Surface!
    11-02-12 05:56 AM
    Your data is a little out of date.

iPad isn't 70%, it's 56.7
    Android isn't 20% it's 41.3
    Microsoft is 1.6%
    The rest: 0.4%

Source:
    http://i.imgur.com/8jupR.png
    Thanks. Even last years numbers are a little different than what I had.
    Now Microsoft, Blackberry and any other OS are fighting over 2% of the market.
    11-02-12 06:02 AM
147 12345 ...