Ok, I bought a Playbook for my parents and GF when it dropped to $200 and all-in-all it's been a pretty good Tablet in the 7" category. It never matched up to iPad, and now with Nexus 7 and other devices it's even further under pressure.

However, I strongly believe that Window 8 tablet, specially the Surface will end Playbook once and for all (and most Android tablets, iPad will remain). I just used Surface and oh boy, is it NICE! I am gonna buy one for my parents,and one for GF as Xmas gift and I'd get the Pro when it comes out. RT does 90% of what a casual user does/needs (my parents/GF), and Pro does everything... the Tablet Apps on it are sparse, BUT, they are higher quality IMO than what's on Playbook and will just grow.

I actually think *tablets* and *laptops* as we know it today will NOT exist in 3-5yrs, every laptop will be a tablet and vice-versa. I HATE carrying both my laptop and iPad when I travel for work, and I want ONE device to do both, and to do both well, and Surface does that extremely well, and will just improve moving forward.

So, what do you guys think?

- Should RIM just kill Playbook? and focus on BB10?
    - Should a BB10 OS expand into Playbook?
    - Should a new Playbook be released with similar size to iPad Mini (7" is just a bit too small)?

Cheers!
    10-31-12 03:02 PM
    It is as dead after as it was before.
    simu31, howarmat, bitek and 2 others like this.
    10-31-12 03:07 PM
    It is as dead after as it was before.
    So, should RIM just stop efforts on Playbook?
    10-31-12 03:09 PM
    I seriously doubt it. Have you been reading the reviews on RT? Not very impressive. I would get a Windows 8 Tablet before I would a Windows 8RT if I was in the market. No thanks. There's a reason they're offering a choice between the two.
    jweihrauch likes this.
    10-31-12 03:11 PM
    [QUOTE=AlexBC;7705087]O...
    I'd get the Pro when it comes out. RT does 90% of what a casual user does/needs (my parents/GF), and Pro does everything./QUOTE]

Everything? Will it make waffles ? I like waffles with nutella.
    10-31-12 03:44 PM
    - Should RIM just kill Playbook? and focus on BB10?
    - Should a BB10 OS expand into Playbook?
    - Should a new Playbook be released with similar size to iPad Mini (7" is just a bit too small)?
    Where have you been?

- RIM has been focusing on BB10, mainly the phones, for release Q1 2013. The PlayBook has been getting software updates, but it's not RIM's primary focus.
    - RIM promised to upgrade PlayBooks to BB10 after the release of the phones.
    - There have been rumors of a 10" PlayBook, codenamed "Blackforest". Personally, I'd like to see a new PlayBook with a higher resolution display, bit larger screen with thinner bezel, fitting in the same size as the current PlayBook.
    Creaulx likes this.
    10-31-12 04:21 PM
    IMO Windows RT is as dead as Playbook was. No apps or WOW factor and I don't think it will an Ipad killer . IMO IOS has a better experience on an ipad than on an iphone. Ipad rocks no matter how much I hate Apple.

I am not impressed much with Windows RT or Windows Phone 8 so far. And I will not be buying one.
    Mr.Willie and richardat like this.
    10-31-12 04:39 PM
    IMO Windows RT is as dead as Playbook was. No apps or WOW factor and I don't think it will an Ipad killer . IMO IOS has a better experience on an ipad than on an iphone. Ipad rocks no matter how much I hate Apple.

I am not impressed much with Windows RT or Windows Phone 8 so far. And I will not be buying one.
    No apps?? ... 100,000 and counting, they got that number in just a few months, can you imagine in a year from now? PLUS they truly got a full PC software on those tablets, you don't even need a app to get flash or silverlight content on the browser, I wonder what other tablet does that? None!!! I may not be a tech savy guy, but a tablet which allows me to get a truly full PC experience plus does have already the mayor apps (Skype, tango,netflix, hulu plus,kindle and Microsoft Office ) out of the box... Honestly windows tablets are the truly ipad contender. It's not even a contender, is just simply the most complete option out there! Apple just got the number of apps on their side, but windows at least already got the most important already, so that will get better with time. I don't see how someone honestly can say other, only fanboys would be blindly defending their platform, but the truth is windows is more complete than anything
    10-31-12 05:05 PM
    No apps?? ... 100,000 and counting, they got that number in just a few months, can you imagine in a year from now? PLUS they truly got a full PC software on those tablets, you don't even need a app to get flash or silverlight content on the browser, I wonder what other tablet does that? None!!! I may not be a tech savy guy, but a tablet which allows me to get a truly full PC experience plus does have already the mayor apps (Skype, tango,netflix, hulu plus,kindle and Microsoft Office ) out of the box... Honestly windows tablets are the truly ipad contender. It's not even a contender, is just simply the most complete option out there! Apple just got the number of apps on their side, but windows at least already got the most important already, so that will get better with time. I don't see how someone honestly can say other, only fanboys would be blindly defending their platform, but the truth is windows is more complete than anything
    Windows RT doesn't support SilverLight.

Also, some of the new "metro" apps are half-baked vs. their Win32 counterparts. Case in point: Skype. The new Windows 8-specific version from the "Windows Store" won't even let me check my voicemails. If I'm running RT, that's the only version I get - yet it's missing such a critical feature.

Lots of little "gotchas" that will come back to bite people with these first generation RT devices, including Surface RT.

RCK
    10-31-12 05:20 PM
    Windows RT doesn't support SilverLight.

Also, some of the new "metro" apps are half-baked vs. their Win32 counterparts. Case in point: Skype. The new Windows 8-specific version from the "Windows Store" won't even let me check my voicemails. If I'm running RT, that's the only version I get - yet it's missing such a critical feature.

Lots of little "gotchas" that will come back to bite people with these first generation RT devices, including Surface RT.

RCK
    Silverlight is going the way of mobile Flash. Version 5 is the last version, and then Microsoft will kill Silverlight. http://gigaom.com/video/microsoft-gi...g-html5-party/

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    10-31-12 05:31 PM
    Without Skype and Netflix the Playbook is done...
    ...It's got a great ( I would say the best ) U.I. and is built like a tank.
    ...But unfortunately the device isn't functional compared to ipad, Droid or the RT.

If RIM can find a way to deliver those popular APPS that everyone else has no problem getting....
    ...It could easily breath life back into the Playbook - without that functionality people simply demand.
    ...The Playbook will remain the practical joke of the tablet world.
    MTL likes this.
    10-31-12 05:38 PM
    It's not jst the Windows RT that RIM and company have to worry about. You also have

iPad Mini
    Kindle Fire HD
    Nexus 7
    Nook HD
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 2

just to name a few. And those are just the 7" variety(iPad Mini being a little larger)

And they are priced very close to the Playbook, except, the iPad Mini. They also have a lot of the more popular apps. And they have a company that actually advertises them.

I think the new Windows Surface RT is only one of many things RIM needs to be worried about as far as the Playbook is concerned.
    Last edited by Moonbaseone; 10-31-12 at 11:47 PM.
    10-31-12 05:54 PM
    So you're telling me if I try to watch netflix or any other sites or video relying on silverlight I will get a silverlight error message on a windows 8 RT stock browser? I don't think so, besides that you're saying there is no apps on windows and that's not accurate, in fact they do got out of the box the apps playbook still just wishing after almost 2 years, so how the heck you're calling windows RT dead just as I playbook when just RT (not even counting PRO ) is more functional than a 2 year old playbook? I'm a PlayBook owner myself and I just would like the best for the tablet I chose, but comparing playbook functionality next to a RT isn't even comparison. Even with the flaws you just mention RT browser only is more productive than ipad browser and playbook combined, and it will get only better with time, PLUS... They got the most important apps at launch date, so how is dead on arrival as you're trying to say? I think you're just a hater
    10-31-12 05:55 PM
    So you're telling me if I try to watch netflix or any other sites or video relying on silverlight I will get a silverlight error message on a windows 8 RT stock browser ? I don't think so, besides that you're saying there is no apps on windows and that's not accurate, in fact they do got out of the box the apps playbook still just wishing after almost 2 years, so how in you're calling windows RT dead just as I playbook when just RT (not even counting PRO ) is more functional than a 2 year old playbook? I'm a PlayBook owner myself and I just would like the best for the tablet I chose, but comparing playbook functionality next to a RT isn't even comparison. Even with the flaws you just mention RT browser only is more productive than ipad browser and playbook combined, and it will get only better with time, PLUS... They got the most important apps at launch date, so how is dead on arrival as you're trying to say? I think you're just a hater
    tboyd1120 likes this.
    10-31-12 05:59 PM
    Win 8 is the new Vista

Regular peeps will not take to it ..they have Android then ipad

It will tank
    10-31-12 07:26 PM
    I seriously doubt it. Have you been reading the reviews on RT? Not very impressive. I would get a Windows 8 Tablet before I would a Windows 8RT if I was in the market. No thanks. There's a reason they're offering a choice between the two.
    The bad reviews are from idiots who got no clue how it works! Casual users use a laptop/table to do the following:

- Websites
    - Email/messaging/Skype
    - Music/Video
    - Play Angry Birds
    - Write a document or do Excel

RT does all of the above PERFECT. Plus it has Netflix, it has some pretty cool Apps (a lot more is needed but compare it to start of Playbook!). For instance, my parents/GF and many others I know got no other Applications that they use/run rather than above and RT is just fine for them. Honestly a full fledged Windows PC was probably too much for majority of users... we (on tech forums) are NOT the masses of Tablet/DUMB device customers!

For me, Pro would do, so I can run my Apps, Photoshop, Games, Torrents, etc...
    10-31-12 07:27 PM
    Surface doesn't have WOW factor? Are you serious?!

It's the only device outside of Apple that has any WOW factor, period! Have you even seen one/played with? The materials used, fit and finish, fluidity, and that amazing keyboard is simply WOW!

10-31-12 07:29 PM
    So, according to Microsoft, explorer 10 on windows rt does not support any browser add ons, this includes silverlight. Netflix will probably have its own app so silverlight is kinda moot anyway. I'm not sure what that means for flash since it can be treated as both a browser add on (firefox) or separate program that works in unison with a browser. Flash is eventually on its way out but is still in large use even though adobe isn't making any new versions of it any more. The playbook does support flash, which is more then the ipad and most android based tablets (that can be worked around though). If the apps are taken directly from windows 8 then I'm not too impressed with a few of them (been running windows 8 beta since it came out) but most are just small apps, nothing ground breaking. I too am interested in the new windows tablets to see what they bring to the table. However as far as interface is concerned, I find the playbook interface to be the best I have used on a tablet so far, with that being said, it's not perfect and could use some tweaks, these will hopefully be addressed with bb10, and yes, bb10 is supposed to be coming to the playbook. Also, I like the 7 inch size, it's great for portability plus makes it very easy to hold and type on with both hands, big part of the reason I chose it actually. I'm wondering what you are trying to do with your tablet? It has full functionality as far as I'm concerned. Netflix? Who cares, I would use Netflix on my tablet anyway because if your on a train or something then you would be burning through data. With wifi, I'm not gonna go to Starbucks to sit and watch tv, I'll go to Starbucks then go home and watch it on my 50inch tv. For Skype, use the browser version. I text all the time on my playbook through bridge, also BBM with it. Despite the video store being a bit pricey it still works great for viewing on the go like on a plane.
    Just my two cents.
    10-31-12 07:30 PM
    +10000!

Totally agreed, I am basically going to replace the old laptop and iPad2 with Surface Pro and I got ONE DEVICE, that can do everything! This is the only true competitor to Apple dominance of tablets.
    10-31-12 07:31 PM
    ios doesn't have any wow factor. It's been around for years relatively unchanged. Plus wow factor is over rated it gets old fast.
    10-31-12 07:33 PM
    So, according to Microsoft, explorer 10 on windows rt does not support any browser add ons, this includes silverlight. Netflix will probably have its own app so silverlight is kinda moot anyway. I'm not sure what that means for flash since it can be treated as both a browser add on (firefox) or separate program that works in unison with a browser. Flash is eventually on its way out but is still in large use even though adobe isn't making any new versions of it any more. The playbook does support flash, which is more then the ipad and most android based tablets (that can be worked around though). If the apps are taken directly from windows 8 then I'm not too impressed with a few of them (been running windows 8 beta since it came out) but most are just small apps, nothing ground breaking. I too am interested in the new windows tablets to see what they bring to the table. However as far as interface is concerned, I find the playbook interface to be the best I have used on a tablet so far, with that being said, it's not perfect and could use some tweaks, these will hopefully be addressed with bb10, and yes, bb10 is supposed to be coming to the playbook. Also, I like the 7 inch size, it's great for portability plus makes it very easy to hold and type on with both hands, big part of the reason I chose it actually. I'm wondering what you are trying to do with your tablet? It has full functionality as far as I'm concerned. Netflix? Who cares, I would use Netflix on my tablet anyway because if your on a train or something then you would be burning through data. With wifi, I'm not gonna go to Starbucks to sit and watch tv, I'll go to Starbucks then go home and watch it on my 50inch tv. For Skype, use the browser version. I text all the time on my playbook through bridge, also BBM with it. Despite the video store being a bit pricey it still works great for viewing on the go like on a plane.
    Just my two cents.
    Your take on Netfix is very interesting indeed.
    10-31-12 07:34 PM
    Dude, there's a NETFLIX APP for RT... whichever way they've done it.

Also, I am 100% behind not having any add-on CRAP to IE10. I always have to go and remove CRAP my parents add to their Windows, that was one of the BIG reasons Windows got a such bad rap, as it was just too flexible, and you could basically do anything to the OS and sometimes break it.

Windows RT is a lot more dumb-proof, hence less buggy, and more iOS like. It's a great UI and has been implemented right.

Just my two cents.
    mkelley65 likes this.
    10-31-12 07:37 PM
    K , it has a Netflix app, isn't that what I said? Uhh, cool? My point is that silverlight is moot. Html5 is what it's all about now. I have no clue how well ie10 does with it, Any insights? Some tests maybe? Totally off topic I know.

Oh,and you asked for people opinions,do 't argue with them when they are given after you have requested lol.
    10-31-12 07:46 PM
    +1... also +1 to your signature! I do use a 9900 as I LOVE the keyboard, but everytime I take a pic, it makes me UPSET! Hence, I am very seriously thinking of Lumia 920, I just WISH BB10 was here so we can compare it to, and then even if anywhere close to 4S/Lumia 920 camera quality, BB10 would have got my $$!

Without Skype and Netflix the Playbook is done...
    ...It's got a great ( I would say the best ) U.I. and is built like a tank.
    ...But unfortunately the device isn't functional compared to ipad, Droid or the RT.

If RIM can find a way to deliver those popular APPS that everyone else has no problem getting....
    ...It could easily breath life back into the Playbook - without that functionality people simply demand.
    ...The Playbook will remain the practical joke of the tablet world.
    hpjrt likes this.
    10-31-12 07:47 PM
    Where have you been?

- RIM has been focusing on BB10, mainly the phones, for release Q1 2013. The PlayBook has been getting software updates, but it's not RIM's primary focus.
    - RIM promised to upgrade PlayBooks to BB10 after the release of the phones.
    - There have been rumors of a 10" PlayBook, codenamed "Blackforest". Personally, I'd like to see a new PlayBook with a higher resolution display, bit larger screen with thinner bezel, fitting in the same size as the current PlayBook.
    I have two Torch 9800s and two PB64. I like the equipment. That said I have found that:.
    RIM talks.
    RIM promises.
    RIM puts out buggy PB OS software.
    RIM is slow to squash bugs.
    RIM lets technology pass them while competitors compete and improve while the market is available.

We don't really know whether the Suface itself or third party tablets or RT or Pro versions will be the end-all, be-all that Microsoft claims but they do Market, and perceptions are influenced by Marketing.
    10-31-12 07:49 PM
147 123 ...