Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 147
Like Tree36Likes
  1. AlexBC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    Ok, I bought a Playbook for my parents and GF when it dropped to $200 and all-in-all it's been a pretty good Tablet in the 7" category. It never matched up to iPad, and now with Nexus 7 and other devices it's even further under pressure.

    However, I strongly believe that Window 8 tablet, specially the Surface will end Playbook once and for all (and most Android tablets, iPad will remain). I just used Surface and oh boy, is it NICE! I am gonna buy one for my parents,and one for GF as Xmas gift and I'd get the Pro when it comes out. RT does 90% of what a casual user does/needs (my parents/GF), and Pro does everything... the Tablet Apps on it are sparse, BUT, they are higher quality IMO than what's on Playbook and will just grow.

    I actually think *tablets* and *laptops* as we know it today will NOT exist in 3-5yrs, every laptop will be a tablet and vice-versa. I HATE carrying both my laptop and iPad when I travel for work, and I want ONE device to do both, and to do both well, and Surface does that extremely well, and will just improve moving forward.

    So, what do you guys think?

    - Should RIM just kill Playbook? and focus on BB10?
    - Should a BB10 OS expand into Playbook?
    - Should a new Playbook be released with similar size to iPad Mini (7" is just a bit too small)?

    Cheers!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    It is as dead after as it was before.
  3. AlexBC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    It is as dead after as it was before.
    So, should RIM just stop efforts on Playbook?
  4. rotorwrench's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,001 Global Posts
    PIN
    Forget it
    #4  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    I seriously doubt it. Have you been reading the reviews on RT? Not very impressive. I would get a Windows 8 Tablet before I would a Windows 8RT if I was in the market. No thanks. There's a reason they're offering a choice between the two.
    If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
    jweihrauch likes this.
  5. tarektoverso's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    250 Posts
    #5  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    [QUOTE=AlexBC;7705087]O...
    I'd get the Pro when it comes out. RT does 90% of what a casual user does/needs (my parents/GF), and Pro does everything./QUOTE]

    Everything? Will it make waffles ? I like waffles with nutella.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
  6. cbvinh's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,982 Posts
    #6  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexBC View Post
    - Should RIM just kill Playbook? and focus on BB10?
    - Should a BB10 OS expand into Playbook?
    - Should a new Playbook be released with similar size to iPad Mini (7" is just a bit too small)?
    Where have you been?

    - RIM has been focusing on BB10, mainly the phones, for release Q1 2013. The PlayBook has been getting software updates, but it's not RIM's primary focus.
    - RIM promised to upgrade PlayBooks to BB10 after the release of the phones.
    - There have been rumors of a 10" PlayBook, codenamed "Blackforest". Personally, I'd like to see a new PlayBook with a higher resolution display, bit larger screen with thinner bezel, fitting in the same size as the current PlayBook.
    Creaulx likes this.
  7. sf49ers's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,247 Posts
    #7  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    IMO Windows RT is as dead as Playbook was. No apps or WOW factor and I don't think it will an Ipad killer . IMO IOS has a better experience on an ipad than on an iphone. Ipad rocks no matter how much I hate Apple.

    I am not impressed much with Windows RT or Windows Phone 8 so far. And I will not be buying one.
    Mr.Willie and richardat like this.
  8. berryaddict338's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    94 Posts
    #8  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    Quote Originally Posted by sf49ers View Post
    IMO Windows RT is as dead as Playbook was. No apps or WOW factor and I don't think it will an Ipad killer . IMO IOS has a better experience on an ipad than on an iphone. Ipad rocks no matter how much I hate Apple.

    I am not impressed much with Windows RT or Windows Phone 8 so far. And I will not be buying one.
    No apps?? ... 100,000 and counting, they got that number in just a few months, can you imagine in a year from now? PLUS they truly got a full PC software on those tablets, you don't even need a app to get flash or silverlight content on the browser, I wonder what other tablet does that? None!!! I may not be a tech savy guy, but a tablet which allows me to get a truly full PC experience plus does have already the mayor apps (Skype, tango,netflix, hulu plus,kindle and Microsoft Office ) out of the box... Honestly windows tablets are the truly ipad contender. It's not even a contender, is just simply the most complete option out there! Apple just got the number of apps on their side, but windows at least already got the most important already, so that will get better with time. I don't see how someone honestly can say other, only fanboys would be blindly defending their platform, but the truth is windows is more complete than anything
  9. rkennedy01's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    667 Posts
    Global Posts
    673 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    Quote Originally Posted by berryaddict338 View Post
    No apps?? ... 100,000 and counting, they got that number in just a few months, can you imagine in a year from now? PLUS they truly got a full PC software on those tablets, you don't even need a app to get flash or silverlight content on the browser, I wonder what other tablet does that? None!!! I may not be a tech savy guy, but a tablet which allows me to get a truly full PC experience plus does have already the mayor apps (Skype, tango,netflix, hulu plus,kindle and Microsoft Office ) out of the box... Honestly windows tablets are the truly ipad contender. It's not even a contender, is just simply the most complete option out there! Apple just got the number of apps on their side, but windows at least already got the most important already, so that will get better with time. I don't see how someone honestly can say other, only fanboys would be blindly defending their platform, but the truth is windows is more complete than anything
    Windows RT doesn't support SilverLight.

    Also, some of the new "metro" apps are half-baked vs. their Win32 counterparts. Case in point: Skype. The new Windows 8-specific version from the "Windows Store" won't even let me check my voicemails. If I'm running RT, that's the only version I get - yet it's missing such a critical feature.

    Lots of little "gotchas" that will come back to bite people with these first generation RT devices, including Surface RT.

    RCK
  10. Laura Knotek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Geek

    Posts
    11,677 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,896 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default RE: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    Quote Originally Posted by rkennedy01 View Post
    Windows RT doesn't support SilverLight.

    Also, some of the new "metro" apps are half-baked vs. their Win32 counterparts. Case in point: Skype. The new Windows 8-specific version from the "Windows Store" won't even let me check my voicemails. If I'm running RT, that's the only version I get - yet it's missing such a critical feature.

    Lots of little "gotchas" that will come back to bite people with these first generation RT devices, including Surface RT.

    RCK
    Silverlight is going the way of mobile Flash. Version 5 is the last version, and then Microsoft will kill Silverlight. http://gigaom.com/video/microsoft-gi...g-html5-party/

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
  11. pythons's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,346 Posts
    #11  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    Without Skype and Netflix the Playbook is done...
    ...It's got a great ( I would say the best ) U.I. and is built like a tank.
    ...But unfortunately the device isn't functional compared to ipad, Droid or the RT.

    If RIM can find a way to deliver those popular APPS that everyone else has no problem getting....
    ...It could easily breath life back into the Playbook - without that functionality people simply demand.
    ...The Playbook will remain the practical joke of the tablet world.
    A reluctant iPhone 4s user who would STILL be a Blackberry user had RIM not messed it's own bed by putting a "Fisher Price Camera" in it's "flagship" Blackberry Bold 9930.
    MTL likes this.
  12. Moonbase0ne's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    891 Posts
    Global Posts
    972 Global Posts
    PIN
    I Don't Know You Like That!
    #12  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    It's not jst the Windows RT that RIM and company have to worry about. You also have

    iPad Mini
    Kindle Fire HD
    Nexus 7
    Nook HD
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 2

    just to name a few. And those are just the 7" variety(iPad Mini being a little larger)

    And they are priced very close to the Playbook, except, the iPad Mini. They also have a lot of the more popular apps. And they have a company that actually advertises them.

    I think the new Windows Surface RT is only one of many things RIM needs to be worried about as far as the Playbook is concerned.
    Last edited by Moonbaseone; 11-01-2012 at 12:47 AM.
    If your tired of someone's comments, why not just put them on Ignore

    "While your computer's crashing, mine's multitasking, it does all my work without me even asking"
  13. berryaddict338's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    94 Posts
    #13  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    So you're telling me if I try to watch netflix or any other sites or video relying on silverlight I will get a silverlight error message on a windows 8 RT stock browser? I don't think so, besides that you're saying there is no apps on windows and that's not accurate, in fact they do got out of the box the apps playbook still just wishing after almost 2 years, so how the heck you're calling windows RT dead just as I playbook when just RT (not even counting PRO ) is more functional than a 2 year old playbook? I'm a PlayBook owner myself and I just would like the best for the tablet I chose, but comparing playbook functionality next to a RT isn't even comparison. Even with the flaws you just mention RT browser only is more productive than ipad browser and playbook combined, and it will get only better with time, PLUS... They got the most important apps at launch date, so how is dead on arrival as you're trying to say? I think you're just a hater
  14. berryaddict338's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    94 Posts
    #14  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    So you're telling me if I try to watch netflix or any other sites or video relying on silverlight I will get a silverlight error message on a windows 8 RT stock browser ? I don't think so, besides that you're saying there is no apps on windows and that's not accurate, in fact they do got out of the box the apps playbook still just wishing after almost 2 years, so how in you're calling windows RT dead just as I playbook when just RT (not even counting PRO ) is more functional than a 2 year old playbook? I'm a PlayBook owner myself and I just would like the best for the tablet I chose, but comparing playbook functionality next to a RT isn't even comparison. Even with the flaws you just mention RT browser only is more productive than ipad browser and playbook combined, and it will get only better with time, PLUS... They got the most important apps at launch date, so how is dead on arrival as you're trying to say? I think you're just a hater
    Thanked by:
    tboyd1120 (11-23-2012) 
  15. ute
    ute is offline
    ute's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    53 Posts
    #15  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    Win 8 is the new Vista

    Regular peeps will not take to it ..they have Android then ipad

    It will tank
  16. AlexBC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    Quote Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
    I seriously doubt it. Have you been reading the reviews on RT? Not very impressive. I would get a Windows 8 Tablet before I would a Windows 8RT if I was in the market. No thanks. There's a reason they're offering a choice between the two.
    The bad reviews are from idiots who got no clue how it works! Casual users use a laptop/table to do the following:

    - Websites
    - Email/messaging/Skype
    - Music/Video
    - Play Angry Birds
    - Write a document or do Excel

    RT does all of the above PERFECT. Plus it has Netflix, it has some pretty cool Apps (a lot more is needed but compare it to start of Playbook!). For instance, my parents/GF and many others I know got no other Applications that they use/run rather than above and RT is just fine for them. Honestly a full fledged Windows PC was probably too much for majority of users... we (on tech forums) are NOT the masses of Tablet/DUMB device customers!

    For me, Pro would do, so I can run my Apps, Photoshop, Games, Torrents, etc...
  17. AlexBC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    Surface doesn't have WOW factor? Are you serious?!

    It's the only device outside of Apple that has any WOW factor, period! Have you even seen one/played with? The materials used, fit and finish, fluidity, and that amazing keyboard is simply WOW!

    Quote Originally Posted by sf49ers View Post
    IMO Windows RT is as dead as Playbook was. No apps or WOW factor and I don't think it will an Ipad killer . IMO IOS has a better experience on an ipad than on an iphone. Ipad rocks no matter how much I hate Apple.

    I am not impressed much with Windows RT or Windows Phone 8 so far. And I will not be buying one.
  18. Duskao's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    28 Posts
    #18  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    So, according to Microsoft, explorer 10 on windows rt does not support any browser add ons, this includes silverlight. Netflix will probably have its own app so silverlight is kinda moot anyway. I'm not sure what that means for flash since it can be treated as both a browser add on (firefox) or separate program that works in unison with a browser. Flash is eventually on its way out but is still in large use even though adobe isn't making any new versions of it any more. The playbook does support flash, which is more then the ipad and most android based tablets (that can be worked around though). If the apps are taken directly from windows 8 then I'm not too impressed with a few of them (been running windows 8 beta since it came out) but most are just small apps, nothing ground breaking. I too am interested in the new windows tablets to see what they bring to the table. However as far as interface is concerned, I find the playbook interface to be the best I have used on a tablet so far, with that being said, it's not perfect and could use some tweaks, these will hopefully be addressed with bb10, and yes, bb10 is supposed to be coming to the playbook. Also, I like the 7 inch size, it's great for portability plus makes it very easy to hold and type on with both hands, big part of the reason I chose it actually. I'm wondering what you are trying to do with your tablet? It has full functionality as far as I'm concerned. Netflix? Who cares, I would use Netflix on my tablet anyway because if your on a train or something then you would be burning through data. With wifi, I'm not gonna go to Starbucks to sit and watch tv, I'll go to Starbucks then go home and watch it on my 50inch tv. For Skype, use the browser version. I text all the time on my playbook through bridge, also BBM with it. Despite the video store being a bit pricey it still works great for viewing on the go like on a plane.
    Just my two cents.
  19. AlexBC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    Quote Originally Posted by berryaddict338 View Post
    No apps?? ... 100,000 and counting, they got that number in just a few months, can you imagine in a year from now? PLUS they truly got a full PC software on those tablets, you don't even need a app to get flash or silverlight content on the browser, I wonder what other tablet does that? None!!! I may not be a tech savy guy, but a tablet which allows me to get a truly full PC experience plus does have already the mayor apps (Skype, tango,netflix, hulu plus,kindle and Microsoft Office ) out of the box... Honestly windows tablets are the truly ipad contender. It's not even a contender, is just simply the most complete option out there! Apple just got the number of apps on their side, but windows at least already got the most important already, so that will get better with time. I don't see how someone honestly can say other, only fanboys would be blindly defending their platform, but the truth is windows is more complete than anything
    +10000!

    Totally agreed, I am basically going to replace the old laptop and iPad2 with Surface Pro and I got ONE DEVICE, that can do everything! This is the only true competitor to Apple dominance of tablets.
  20. Duskao's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    28 Posts
    #20  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    ios doesn't have any wow factor. It's been around for years relatively unchanged. Plus wow factor is over rated it gets old fast.
  21. Moonbase0ne's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    891 Posts
    Global Posts
    972 Global Posts
    PIN
    I Don't Know You Like That!
    #21  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    Quote Originally Posted by Duskao View Post
    So, according to Microsoft, explorer 10 on windows rt does not support any browser add ons, this includes silverlight. Netflix will probably have its own app so silverlight is kinda moot anyway. I'm not sure what that means for flash since it can be treated as both a browser add on (firefox) or separate program that works in unison with a browser. Flash is eventually on its way out but is still in large use even though adobe isn't making any new versions of it any more. The playbook does support flash, which is more then the ipad and most android based tablets (that can be worked around though). If the apps are taken directly from windows 8 then I'm not too impressed with a few of them (been running windows 8 beta since it came out) but most are just small apps, nothing ground breaking. I too am interested in the new windows tablets to see what they bring to the table. However as far as interface is concerned, I find the playbook interface to be the best I have used on a tablet so far, with that being said, it's not perfect and could use some tweaks, these will hopefully be addressed with bb10, and yes, bb10 is supposed to be coming to the playbook. Also, I like the 7 inch size, it's great for portability plus makes it very easy to hold and type on with both hands, big part of the reason I chose it actually. I'm wondering what you are trying to do with your tablet? It has full functionality as far as I'm concerned. Netflix? Who cares, I would use Netflix on my tablet anyway because if your on a train or something then you would be burning through data. With wifi, I'm not gonna go to Starbucks to sit and watch tv, I'll go to Starbucks then go home and watch it on my 50inch tv. For Skype, use the browser version. I text all the time on my playbook through bridge, also BBM with it. Despite the video store being a bit pricey it still works great for viewing on the go like on a plane.
    Just my two cents.
    Your take on Netfix is very interesting indeed.
    If your tired of someone's comments, why not just put them on Ignore

    "While your computer's crashing, mine's multitasking, it does all my work without me even asking"
  22. AlexBC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    Dude, there's a NETFLIX APP for RT... whichever way they've done it.

    Also, I am 100% behind not having any add-on CRAP to IE10. I always have to go and remove CRAP my parents add to their Windows, that was one of the BIG reasons Windows got a such bad rap, as it was just too flexible, and you could basically do anything to the OS and sometimes break it.

    Windows RT is a lot more dumb-proof, hence less buggy, and more iOS like. It's a great UI and has been implemented right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Duskao View Post
    So, according to Microsoft, explorer 10 on windows rt does not support any browser add ons, this includes silverlight. Netflix will probably have its own app so silverlight is kinda moot anyway. I'm not sure what that means for flash since it can be treated as both a browser add on (firefox) or separate program that works in unison with a browser. Flash is eventually on its way out but is still in large use even though adobe isn't making any new versions of it any more. The playbook does support flash, which is more then the ipad and most android based tablets (that can be worked around though). If the apps are taken directly from windows 8 then I'm not too impressed with a few of them (been running windows 8 beta since it came out) but most are just small apps, nothing ground breaking. I too am interested in the new windows tablets to see what they bring to the table. However as far as interface is concerned, I find the playbook interface to be the best I have used on a tablet so far, with that being said, it's not perfect and could use some tweaks, these will hopefully be addressed with bb10, and yes, bb10 is supposed to be coming to the playbook. Also, I like the 7 inch size, it's great for portability plus makes it very easy to hold and type on with both hands, big part of the reason I chose it actually. I'm wondering what you are trying to do with your tablet? It has full functionality as far as I'm concerned. Netflix? Who cares, I would use Netflix on my tablet anyway because if your on a train or something then you would be burning through data. With wifi, I'm not gonna go to Starbucks to sit and watch tv, I'll go to Starbucks then go home and watch it on my 50inch tv. For Skype, use the browser version. I text all the time on my playbook through bridge, also BBM with it. Despite the video store being a bit pricey it still works great for viewing on the go like on a plane.
    Just my two cents.
    mkelley65 likes this.
  23. Duskao's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    28 Posts
    #23  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    K , it has a Netflix app, isn't that what I said? Uhh, cool? My point is that silverlight is moot. Html5 is what it's all about now. I have no clue how well ie10 does with it, Any insights? Some tests maybe? Totally off topic I know.

    Oh,and you asked for people opinions,do 't argue with them when they are given after you have requested lol.
  24. AlexBC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    +1... also +1 to your signature! I do use a 9900 as I LOVE the keyboard, but everytime I take a pic, it makes me UPSET! Hence, I am very seriously thinking of Lumia 920, I just WISH BB10 was here so we can compare it to, and then even if anywhere close to 4S/Lumia 920 camera quality, BB10 would have got my $$!

    Quote Originally Posted by pythons View Post
    Without Skype and Netflix the Playbook is done...
    ...It's got a great ( I would say the best ) U.I. and is built like a tank.
    ...But unfortunately the device isn't functional compared to ipad, Droid or the RT.

    If RIM can find a way to deliver those popular APPS that everyone else has no problem getting....
    ...It could easily breath life back into the Playbook - without that functionality people simply demand.
    ...The Playbook will remain the practical joke of the tablet world.
    hpjrt likes this.
  25. tofnow's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    106 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default Re: Is Playbook dead after Windows 8 RT?

    Quote Originally Posted by cbvinh View Post
    Where have you been?

    - RIM has been focusing on BB10, mainly the phones, for release Q1 2013. The PlayBook has been getting software updates, but it's not RIM's primary focus.
    - RIM promised to upgrade PlayBooks to BB10 after the release of the phones.
    - There have been rumors of a 10" PlayBook, codenamed "Blackforest". Personally, I'd like to see a new PlayBook with a higher resolution display, bit larger screen with thinner bezel, fitting in the same size as the current PlayBook.
    I have two Torch 9800s and two PB64. I like the equipment. That said I have found that:.
    RIM talks.
    RIM promises.
    RIM puts out buggy PB OS software.
    RIM is slow to squash bugs.
    RIM lets technology pass them while competitors compete and improve while the market is available.

    We don't really know whether the Suface itself or third party tablets or RT or Pro versions will be the end-all, be-all that Microsoft claims but they do Market, and perceptions are influenced by Marketing.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Playbook dead after battery drain
    By aryan77 in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 04:03 AM
  2. Is my playbook dead ?
    By bb.pl in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-28-2011, 09:00 PM
  3. Torch is 'dead' after putting on charging pod
    By kahane in forum BlackBerry Torch 9800
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 10:21 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-24-2010, 03:42 PM
  5. If you did accept that the Storm 2 is dead after the OS6 snub...
    By Slapnpop826 in forum BlackBerry Storm2
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-24-2010, 03:42 PM

Posting Permissions