What you consider "miracles" are just ordinary things that Android users take for granted.
    Except, of course, for all those users in the forum posts I mentioned, correct? Or are you denying that the issue exists at all? Because that would be news to the Skype devs, not to mention lots of frustrated customers (yours, truly, included).

Again, this isn't you vs. me anymore. This is you vs. the conventional wisdom as established by hundreds upon hundreds of reports flooding various Android and Skype support forums and by the product devs who have acknowledged that the problem exists.

So what's it going to be? Are you going to continue denying this is an issue? Even after I presented copious evidence to the contrary?

I bet you think 9/11 was an inside job, too...

RCK
    11-02-12 10:33 AM
    What a surprise. Lot's of talking. No putting money where mouth is.

Come back when you are willing to risk your $100 for my $10000 or your forum signature for mine.
    11-02-12 10:37 AM
    What a surprise. Lot's of talking. No putting money where mouth is.

Come back when you are willing to risk your $100 for my $10000 or your forum signature for mine.
    Come back when you agree to stop ignoring facts and hiding behind more farcical wager scenarios when someone calls you out.

What a joke...

RCK
    11-02-12 10:43 AM
    Yesterday I played with windows 8 to go. Personally I don't like windows os but this one is totaly different, very impressive. Windows 8 will hit everything in the market. Wait and see.
    11-02-12 12:13 PM
    The other day I was playing with my brother-in-laws I-Pad at his house during a family dinner.
    I have a Playbook as does my wife and daughter.
    I thought it was heavy, bulky, and not very user friendly....
    I love the Playbook and fully expect RIM to support it after BB10 is introduced......
    11-02-12 12:31 PM
    The Surface RT tablets are HUGE. I can't see them having any effect on the PlayBook until they come out with a 7" version, which I might well buy. I think RT is FAR better suited for a tablet OS than full Windows 8.
    11-02-12 02:10 PM
    Except, of course, for all those users in the forum posts I mentioned, correct? Or are you denying that the issue exists at all? Because that would be news to the Skype devs, not to mention lots of frustrated customers (yours, truly, included).

Again, this isn't you vs. me anymore. This is you vs. the conventional wisdom as established by hundreds upon hundreds of reports flooding various Android and Skype support forums and by the product devs who have acknowledged that the problem exists.

So what's it going to be? Are you going to continue denying this is an issue? Even after I presented copious evidence to the contrary?

I bet you think 9/11 was an inside job, too...

RCK
    I went back and tried my headset out of the room - no sound...
    11-02-12 02:55 PM
    The Surface RT tablets are HUGE....

Very useful in a rainy day.
    11-02-12 03:38 PM
    I went back and tried my headset out of the room - no sound...
    Like I said, "notafanboy" must have a "magic" Android device because nobody else seems to be able to reproduce his results. :screwy:

RCK

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2
    11-02-12 04:09 PM
    I've got a better idea: Why don't you stop by one of the forum threads I linked to above and share your "secret sauce" with the dozens upon dozens of users who can't get it to work. I know I'm very curious to hear the exact details of how you fixed something that even Skype acknowledges is broken. What combination of headset/earpiece/device were you using? On which version of Android (exact build number please)? Using what, if any, third party software, enhancements or custom mods?

Note: You're claiming to perform miracles. Right now there are some desperate, hungry people out there waiting to hear the revelation according to "notafanboy." This is no longer about you and me. This is about an opportunity to do a public service to potentially thousands of frustrated Android users.

So please, let's see some of that healing in action! Show us the way! Make our mute Android devices speak!

RCK
    I would've taken his bet. He's offering you a thousand bucks man! Why wouldn't you?
    11-02-12 04:36 PM
    More on topic, the RT won't kill any other brands, but the various Pro tablets may very well do the job because they're only going to cost around $750 for the models closest to current tablets in specs and price. And if that doesn't kill them, once Apple catches up and makes an iPad running Mac OS, then RIM and Android might as well stick to making $200 7 inch media devices.
    11-02-12 04:42 PM
    I would've taken his bet. He's offering you a thousand bucks man! Why wouldn't you?
    Actually it was $10,000. rkeneddy didn't take it because he's all BS and hot air, no action. Also, he challenged me once before and humiliatingly lost.

You want in? Offer is open to anyone. $100 wins you a cool 10 grand. US dollars.
    11-02-12 05:28 PM
    Very useful in a rainy day.
    Well, they were invented HERE, the locale with perpetual rain (other than this past July, Aug, Sept and beginning of Oct)
    11-02-12 06:01 PM
    Windows RT is ok (except that Office apps run in the Win 7 environment.. WTF?) whereas Windows 8 (for laptops and desktops) is awful. Two completely different OSes combined into one, who wants to deal with that? Windows 8 is basically Windows for Dummies. No power user I know cares for Windows 8 in the slightest. A week ago I personally bought a new laptop with Win 7 installed just to avoid all the new laptops coming out with Win 8 on them.

Windows RT will not help Playbook sales, but most people have playbooks because they can bridge them for free with their BBs and because playbooks are cheap. RT will not affect that.
    11-02-12 07:07 PM
    Windows RT is ok (except that Office apps run in the Win 7 environment.. WTF?) whereas Windows 8 (for laptops and desktops) is awful. Two completely different OSes combined into one, who wants to deal with that? Windows 8 is basically Windows for Dummies. No power user I know cares for Windows 8 in the slightest. A week ago I personally bought a new laptop with Win 7 installed just to avoid all the new laptops coming out with Win 8 on them.

Windows RT will not help Playbook sales, but most people have playbooks because they can bridge them for free with their BBs and because playbooks are cheap. RT will not affect that.
    RT is a perfectly good mobile OS, but Microsoft made a big mistake calling it Windows rather than Metro/whatever. Customers are going to expect it to run their existing software, which it won't any more than Windows CE did.
    11-02-12 07:17 PM
    I think the problem is Microsoft believes that people want the exact same interface for their phones and their large desktop computers. I don't want to swipe at my 24" monitor that sits on a desk four feet away from me, thanks.

If Windows RT had avoided the Win 7 "desktop" environment completely and had just stuck with the Metro interface (which it seems to do for everything other than the Office apps), it would be fine. But it runs the Office apps in a Win 7 desktop environment which is confusing, convoluted and annoying.

And if Windows 8 had made the Metro interface optional for touch-enabled laptops and netbooks and allowed you to disable it for desktops, it would have been ok. But the fact that one has to deal with the Metro environment with a mouse -- which it was clearly not intended to do -- is a huge inconvenience and major mistake.

I have a desktop computer, a mid-size laptop, a tablet and a phone. I want touch on the tablet and the phone... I want nothing to do with touch on the desktop and laptop.

Apple was smart enough to realize this. Their iOS and MacOS are close cousins, but they're not twins. And that's the way it should be.
    Last edited by Furballz; 11-02-12 at 09:08 PM.
    bdegrande likes this.
    11-02-12 08:50 PM
    Come back when you agree to stop ignoring facts and hiding behind more farcical wager scenarios when someone calls you out.

What a joke...

RCK
    Behold, the "magic" phone.

Boom!

Since this has become wildly off topic, please continue any discussion in this more appropriate subforum
    11-02-12 10:17 PM
    Chuckle...

wow, Skype availability on Android tablets results in online slapfights in unrelated forums.

I'll stick to PB video chat. I guess I don't know what I'm missing...

/sarcasm
    11-02-12 11:47 PM
    From a recent experience

one of my team mate needs an Tab for his dentist spouse, the must have requirement was office support. I told him Tab offices are not as good as the desktop one, if that is what he wants. He said atleast get me capability to insert images in PPT, doc and few more minor things.

We googled it and only Tab to do this was surface. So there is a sure shot consumer base for them. Now considering Office is among the most earning units (with xbox) in MS. I think this might be a big base.

So for one thing, they have edge over others.
    11-03-12 12:03 AM
    @furballz
    Windows 8 works great if you don't insist on trying to force it to work like previous versions. I spent very little time adjusting to getting used to a new way of using windows and have discovered it's nothing like your perception of it. Interestingly enough the majority of tech reviewers are agreeing with me.

@bdegrande
    Nope, by all reports coming in so far people aren't having trouble knowing the difference prior to purchase. I've seen your opinion repeated a few times prior to release and the situation didn't pan out that way after all
    11-03-12 02:08 AM
    Surface doesn't have WOW factor? Are you serious?!

It's the only device outside of Apple that has any WOW factor, period! Have you even seen one/played with? The materials used, fit and finish, fluidity, and that amazing keyboard is simply WOW!
    Pay little (or no) attention to them dear. They are just too much biased to recognize and praise the true potential of win8 surface. To them, only BB10 has got so called 'wow' factor which itself is months away. (not bashing bb10), But the fact is that windows 8 tablets provide true PC experience.
    11-03-12 02:21 AM
    The bad reviews are from idiots who got no clue how it works! Casual users use a laptop/table to do the following:

- Websites
    - Email/messaging/Skype
    - Music/Video
    - Play Angry Birds
    - Write a document or do Excel

RT does all of the above PERFECT. Plus it has Netflix, it has some pretty cool Apps (a lot more is needed but compare it to start of Playbook!). For instance, my parents/GF and many others I know got no other Applications that they use/run rather than above and RT is just fine for them. Honestly a full fledged Windows PC was probably too much for majority of users... we (on tech forums) are NOT the masses of Tablet/DUMB device customers!

For me, Pro would do, so I can run my Apps, Photoshop, Games, Torrents, etc...
    agree with you 200%
    11-03-12 02:26 AM
    The Surface RT tablets are HUGE. I can't see them having any effect on the PlayBook until they come out with a 7" version, which I might well buy.
    Trouble is the Playbook will have had to have had some affect/effect on the market in order for that to happen. As it hasn't it will just get pulverised by everything else, which let's be honest it has been already. I bet Playbook never got a single mention in any of the Surface development/analyst meetings at MS. If it did it would have been discussions on 'How not to launch a new tablet'.
    11-03-12 05:30 AM
    Without Skype and Netflix the Playbook is done...
    ...It's got a great ( I would say the best ) U.I. and is built like a tank.
    ...But unfortunately the device isn't functional compared to iipad, Droid or the RT.

If RIM can find a way to deliver those popular APPS that everyone else has no problem getting....
    ...It could easily breath life back into the Playbook - without that functionality people simply demand.
    ...The Playbook will remain the practical joke of the tablet world.
    Sadly, it needs more than that. I am now writing on my android phone with SwiftKey and it kicks as$. I also miss, on my PB, a decent photo app to process and send photos, an assisted GPS so I can track where I am going. I think PB can be made relevant but it is going to take more than a few key apps that are missing.
    11-03-12 05:58 AM
    RT is good, no doubt about it. I have the 64GB surface model, which I am sure will be a hit. That said, I still prefer the Playbook, and BB devices in general, for the following reasons,

- The PB is the only tablet to give me company intranet access. The company used to allow iPads, but no longer. I have intranet access with BB Bridge through the company issued BB Bold 9900. The Bold is a wonderful device also, but that's for another thread.
    - I don't like the trend of locking users into hardware and software ecosystems. BB, and likely because they are unable to, has not done this.
    - I don't like the trend of dummying and locking down the device user interface, at the expense of the more computer knowledgeable user. Though I understand the business incentive for this strategy (mass appeal), I think it interferes with my use of the device.
    - I don't want to pay recurring developer fees to code for a device I own. BB development, so far, is (can be) free.

Some of these comments also favors Android devices, but I stay away from them because I feel that Android is an imitation (some might even say rip-off) of IOS.
    11-03-12 10:18 AM
147 ... 3456