Hi, I was an early adopter of the playbook and while I'm still greatly enthused with it, I'm a bit miffed that the Apple guys seem to have the edge in terms of access to video chat just because of the shear weight of numbers.

Does anyone else know if there are any plans to enable access to the Apple Facetime network via the PlayBook?
    04-14-12 09:25 AM
    This would be up to Apple. Facetime is not exactly a publicly accessible network and I wouldn't think that there is any money to be made by opening it up to competitors.
    04-14-12 09:33 AM
    I'm pretty sure Steve would come back from the grave and murder anyone who tried working on that...
    04-14-12 09:43 AM
    really? you even spent the time to think about it?

what would it do for apple? absolutely nothing.

you'll see skype on the playbook before an apple product.
    04-14-12 11:51 AM
    That's a NO then
    04-14-12 11:54 AM
    go buy an ipad and facetime your face off.
    04-14-12 12:00 PM
    ^ why u mad?
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-14-12 12:49 PM
    Facetime on a playbook would be like bbm on an Ipad... Won't happen...
    04-14-12 12:52 PM
    How about any plan to enable access to the PlayBook's Videochat network via iPhone or iPad?
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-14-12 02:56 PM
    Videochat can be expanded beyond the BB network if the PB can get more app developers and become a bigger force in the market. Right now the PB isn't much of an interest to Skype, ooVoo, Tango and so forth because of having such a small market compared to the others. But if we do our part and work up desire for the PB, who knows, maybe it will payoff and the PB market might expand enough to catch the attention of more and more high-profile devs.

Facetime was generally restricted to Apple products in the beginning. But now apps like Tango, Skype, ooVoo, I believe, have access to Apple network and can interact between Facetime and 3rd party apps. There's no reason the PB network couldn't do the same. If it has the hardware, there is a way...
    04-14-12 03:05 PM
    How about any plan to enable access to the PlayBook's Videochat network via iPhone or iPad?
    Apple with probably half a billion Facetime users vs RIM with about 1 million Video Chat users. Who needs whom?
    Last edited by kennyliu; 04-14-12 at 03:16 PM.
    04-14-12 03:09 PM
    I guess everyone is different for chat requirements. I use Skype which is on my PC, but I also use Video chat with my Playbook.
    I don't see why most people would only select one method, but then I don't think it is
    that important.
    This is why the forum is interesting. There are so many various opinions on what works for each individual.
    04-14-12 09:27 PM
    But now apps like Tango, Skype, ooVoo, I believe, have access to Apple network and can interact between Facetime and 3rd party apps. There's no reason the PB network couldn't do the same. If it has the hardware, there is a way...
    there is no apple network. icrap don't route data thru central servers like bb phones do. the main reasons for doing so are encryption and data compression. that's why a bb phone can do in 500 mb what an iphone needs 6 gb for.
    04-14-12 09:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD