I think I have finally gotten over the Heinz LuTHOR debacle regarding PB. Upon sober reflection I think the best we can hope for is some sort of Fedora Project compromise that will allow us to continue to build apps and update the software as needed. The truth is that we never needed BB10. What we needed was BBM, BB Travel, BB Traffic and a better browser. I am sure I am forgetting some things but you get the point. Origami Browser has shown us that we can use the QNX PB platform to build some pretty cool apps on a tablet. One of the benefits of the demise of PB Beta (that's what I am calling it) is that it will stop the creation of crap apps for 99 cents. Maybe now if we can come to some compromise with Blackberry, we can develop a community based ongoing project to develop the apps and software we need and who knows, maybe one day PB OS 5.0 will be portable to some other future device. I was at church the other night and someone was printing a document wirelessly from their iPad and I could only think, we should be able to do that.
    Last edited by baruman; 07-30-13 at 10:26 PM.
    07-30-13 11:40 AM
    I just want to install LinuxMint or Ubuntu on my PB. Since they won't be updating the software anymore I should have that option.

Sent from my Z10 10.2.0.810 using Tapatalk 2
    07-30-13 12:14 PM
    Baruman: you found the right words.
    Let's fix the keyboard and the PDF Reader first. Thx to the dev of origamibrowser. It was just the beginning.

I am not special, I am a Limited Edition using Tapatalk 4 beta
    07-30-13 12:28 PM
    I noticed that other devices that were abandoned by their manufacturers found new life through developer sites such as XDA developers. Is the Playbook currently being targeted for further development by a similar type group?
    07-30-13 01:06 PM
    People use Ipad's and devices at church? That is just horrible.
    07-30-13 01:13 PM
    People use Ipad's and devices at church? That is just horrible.
    Why is that? I have bible software that allows me to read multiple translations, keep notes and track prayer requests. Is that a bad thing?
    07-30-13 01:22 PM
    I really think this can work but we have to have buy in from Blackberry.
    07-31-13 07:20 AM
    Not a bad thing at all in my book Kevin.
    07-31-13 04:29 PM
    We can technically build Cascades apps on PB, at least using older versions of Cascades from last year. See http://forums.crackberry.com/bb-10-d...aybook-833125/)

The problem is there have been huge changes between last year's stuff, this year's 10.0 release and the upcoming 10.2 update. I don't know if it's worth it for developers to target a slightly older Cascades setup but it would be a lot easier than going bare metal with the PB NDK. BBRY might not allow these hybrid apps to be distributed on App World either.

Dual-booting Android or Linux would be the best choice for the PB to remain usable in the future. Otherwise it would become like a Touchpad without the dual-boot ability... an interesting footnote in tech history, nothing more.
    Revampd likes this.
    08-01-13 03:50 AM
    how easy is it to code for playbook ?? i quite fancy a crack at it, but jumping through all BBRY's hoops just to get it set up always put me off.

Also are the native tools still available ?
    08-01-13 05:48 AM
    Coding for PB is easy if you know C++ and Qt/QML. I don't know about WebWorks or AIR since I don't have the development tools for those. I think they're not free either.

If you want to do C++ and QML, you can follow the instructions on the link I gave. Install NDK, etc...

You have to register with BBRY to get your signing keys - these are used to sign your apps for sideloading to your PB. The signing keys are given free but it takes a day or so. You can then build your app and have it run directly on the PB from the Momentics IDE.
    08-01-13 06:23 AM
    BlackBerry should just port Jellybean to the PlayBook with a BB10 skin and make a Bridge app on Android and be done with it. They are at least supporting Android with BBM coming soon and the OS would be free for them.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 07:38 AM
    Coding for PB is easy if you know C++ and Qt/QML. I don't know about WebWorks or AIR since I don't have the development tools for those. I think they're not free either.

If you want to do C++ and QML, you can follow the instructions on the link I gave. Install NDK, etc...

You have to register with BBRY to get your signing keys - these are used to sign your apps for sideloading to your PB. The signing keys are given free but it takes a day or so. You can then build your app and have it run directly on the PB from the Momentics IDE.
    Nice - thanks for the info - just downloaded and will have a tinker
    08-01-13 08:26 AM