Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By saudadeii
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Playbook charging USB 3.0?

Do you think that the playbook would charge closer to the speed of a wall charger if it used a USB 3.0 port? Just curious
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by xKrNMBoYx View Post
    Do you think that the playbook would charge closer to the speed of a wall charger if it used a USB 3.0 port? Just curious
    I hadn't thought about this, but I've been wondering how much faster I could transfer data to the PB over usb 3.0. Its suppose to have blazing data speed. I've considered getting another machine to help encode movies for the PB. I good increase in data transfer speed across usb will help make it worth it.
    If this helps answer your question usb 3.0 delivers up to 900-1000 ma.
    It's one thing for the world to think your a dullard and another to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,278 Global Posts
    PIN
    2811b06c

I think you need USB 3.0 on both sides (male and female) for it to increase speed. I have two USB 3.0 ports on my new notebook pc, but I have also bought a USB 3.0 flash drive and external hard drive to take advantage of the extra power.
    Proud Citizen of Red Sox Nation~Happy Birthday, Fenway Park!!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

I added a USB3 card to one of our backup servers to speed up transfers. It has improved the throughput even to USB2 drives, but that's probably because it is doing it's own work and not sharing off the motherboard. So I don't know if that would help if it is built in.

I've never tried to charge anything. I'll see if I can try it later and use Battery Guru to take some readings. USB2 usually puts out about 500 ma, so if USB3 is 900-1000, then it should charge twice as fast, but still not up to the 1800 ma the standard PB charger puts out.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security." -Benjamin Franklin
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,644 Global Posts

USB 3.0 is about data transfer speeds not charging. The mere fact it's a 3.0 port does not provide any more charging power over a 2.0 port.
    --
    8800 (Retired), 9000 (Retired), 9800 (T-Mobile), PB64 WiFi, Droid 4 (VZW)
    kbz1960 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by TheScionicMan View Post
    I added a USB3 card to one of our backup servers to speed up transfers. It has improved the throughput even to USB2 drives, but that's probably because it is doing it's own work and not sharing off the motherboard. So I don't know if that would help if it is built in.

I've never tried to charge anything. I'll see if I can try it later and use Battery Guru to take some readings. USB2 usually puts out about 500 ma, so if USB3 is 900-1000, then it should charge twice as fast, but still not up to the 1800 ma the standard PB charger puts out.
    Thanks for your reply. I haven't been able to find out what kind of data speed the playbook can tranfer. I know usb 3.0 can transfer up to about 4.5gbps but can the PB upload or download that kind of transfer rate through its usb port? This whole thing hinges on what the PB is setup to do.
    Its reasuring in that you said you've noticed an increase in transfers even to 2.0 devices. I pretty sure its not enough to blister but any increase helps. The increase your seeing might even be the bottle necks have been taking out. Whatever it is it allows more data in the same amount of time.
    I'll tell ya this, its aggravating watching video data tranfering from a 2.0 drive to 2.0 usb port into disc burning software. Takes forever to fill the buffer. Tbis is just one of those times you see data cross a cable and how painfull it is. Lol
    It's one thing for the world to think your a dullard and another to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Looks like the USB 3.0 standard jumps from the 2.0 standard's 500 mA to 900. That's exactly half the current delivered by the standard 1.8A charger that ships with the PB.
    Thanked by:
    xKrNMBoYx (03-30-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by saudadeii View Post
    USB 3.0 is about data transfer speeds not charging. The mere fact it's a 3.0 port does not provide any more charging power over a 2.0 port.
    Actually many motherboard/add on card manufacturer advertises usb 3.0 to charge devices faster also. That is the reason why I asked because I read it again while purchasing pc components again
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    3,366 Global Posts

I have 1A usb ports on my computer, the PlayBook completely ignores the extra juice .. iPod, iPad, TouchPad all charge faster on them though. Then again, that was with my first PlayBook, which had it's USB connector completely fail after 7 days, so that may not be indicative.
    CrackBerry Abuser

For most implementations, you get 500mA output. If the devices wants more current, it has to ask for it. Not all USB chargers and devices follow the standard.

In summary, it's become a lot more complicated and less interoperable.

For the PB, get the rapid charger and give your PB's delicate micro USB socket a break.
    PlayBook 16GB $299 [latest OS]. More PlayBooks as gifts $199, $199...
    Internet via wifi, or my iPhone 4S wifi hotspot...
    Look at PB-DX.blogspot.com for accessories
    PB Browser crash is fixed with 2.0.1.358!! Test Here

4th in the world on CoD MW3 'Stay Sharp'!!!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,374 Global Posts

If i am reading this correctly, you guys are charging your PB via USB2 on a PC??????

i cannot get mine to charge on my PC and was hoping that USB 3 would fix it.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Running JellyBean 4.3 - Playbook 64GB Running 2.1.0.1753
    Give me a drink, some Bacardi, gimme the decks and i'll Rock the Party.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,015 Global Posts

USB 3.0 does not put out more amps. it doesn't matter.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    571 Global Posts

Just adding this here (copy/paste from Blackberry Knowledge Base) with regards to a USB 2.0 port reference. It does not mention 3.0 but the port on the PB is 2.0.
    With the upgrade to PlayBook OS 2.1.0.1032 the following message may be displayed when connecting the Playbook to a PC using the micro-USB cable:

Unable to charge battery with connected source

This message is displayed because the voltage provided is insufficient for charging. The USB voltage is limited to 384mA even if the maximum tolerance is 500mA. The voltage is limited to 384mA by design to avoid violating the USB specification which states USB devices cannot draw more than 500mA from the USB port.

KB article: KB27705-BlackBerry PlayBook battery power charge, discharge characteristics, and guidance on extending battery life

Quote Originally Posted by deejayburnout View Post
    If i am reading this correctly, you guys are charging your PB via USB2 on a PC??????

It may or may not charge but it depends on your usb port and also what the pb is or is not doing. In the main, if you are using your pb, the usb will not provide enough power to charge. The screen alone would probably eat more power than the usb provides. But if the pb is in standby, it may in fact charge.

As mentioned, Rim added a warning message on a recent upgrade but it probably did not change the essentials of the pc-usb capacity.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

I would try turning Dev mode on, it probably won't work but its worth a shot.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,374 Global Posts

Tried that's as well and no luck either.

Only ever see the bolt through the battery when I am using the charger. Never with USB from PC.

Wierd.
    CrackBerry Genius

Only ever see the bolt through the battery when I am using the charger. Never with USB from PC.

Wierd.
    The plug through the battery indicates either full charge or the PB is consuming more power then the power source can supply. When you plug in with the USB to PC it will charge with the screen off in standby. As soon as you wake the PlayBook the screen draws too much power and you will see that plug again.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts

Wierd.
    It's not weird, it's math.
    The output of the standard Playbook charger is 5V at 1800 mA (~9 watts).
    The output of the Rapid Charger is 12V at 2000 mA (~24 watts).
    A USB port (2 or 3) puts our 5V at 384 mA (~1.92 watts) at most, usually less.

When connected to a USB port you are trying to charge the Playbook with < 1/5th the output of the standard charger.
    It's close to the difference between trying to read a book under a 100 watt bulb, a 40 watt bulb or an 8 watt bulb.
    Z30, Nexus 4, Kobo Arc 64GB, Playbook 16GB
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

It's more like trying to fill a bucket with a hose putting out 5 gallons per minute while the bucket has a hole that leaks 8 gallons a minute.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security." -Benjamin Franklin
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,856 Global Posts

This is pure speculation, but...
    One thing you can try is to plug in the USB 3.0 cable only half way into your computer. The microUSB side to the Playbook should still be plugged in all the way.
    Basically, the power connections on the inside of the usb connector are longer than the data connections. If the Playbook detects that it's a USB port, it may try to only draw 500mA. But if it detects there is no data, it will try to draw max power and POSSIBLY (might or might not work), draw up to 1A or 900mA or whatever the USB 3.0 port can provide.
    You want to get it far enough in that the power connections meet, but the data connections do not.
    Another way is to simply tape a piece of paper blocking the data pins, but just be careful not to get tape stuck on the inside of your USB ports.

This is one way you can get a phone to charge through USB, without having it try to connect to the computer.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,374 Global Posts

Never going to be able to charge the PB with 500ma.

not even with 1000ma.

Looks like its charger or nothing.

not even with 1000ma.

You can charge it. You just canNOT use it while using a usb-pc connection.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by saudadeii View Post
    EXACTLY!
    Blackberry Torch 2 9810
    64GB Blackberry Playbook
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,856 Global Posts

not even with 1000ma.

You can definitely charge it through USB with 500mA if your Playbook has all wifi/bluetooth connections off, and it is in standby. It will just take the whole day and possibly event longer if you're charging from only a few %.
    The only reason it usually doesn't seem to be charging, is that you're using more power than you're charging, so the battery gauge shows as either steady or decreasing slowly.
    CrackBerry Addict

The problem is that the PB's port is only USB 2.0---so it cannot negotiate to the 900mA charge current available on a USB 3.0 port. As a result, USB charge current is limited to 500mA @ 5V or 2.5 watts. Most PB users exceed 2.5W when they are actively using the device, so USB charging can only occur when off or in standby.