So I got a charging box that holds 4 18650 batteries assuming I'd be able to use it to charge the playbook on the go. It works with everything else I've got (android phone, bluetooth headset, g930 headset), but it wouldn't charge the playbook. Not even when I shorted the data + and -. I soldered a 60 ohm resistor across the data lines on the charger side, that seemed to do the trick, battery was charging and had the lightning bolt signal, until I shut down the playbook. It wouldn't charge using the charger box after that, otherwise works using the pod and the standard charger.
    What is the correct signal to send across the data lines so that the playbook will accept the charger?
    01-20-12 06:30 PM
    I hate to be the barer of bad news but your only supposed ta use the PB approved chargers.....others mess up some kind of charging stuff inside em.....I hope it isn't too late. I learned the hard way with the rapid charger for my storm2.....had to do an rma repair. Try holding the power button dwn 15 secs. Nxt would be to reload the OS...SORRY
    01-20-12 07:20 PM
    And after you do the above, use the Charger that came with the PB, or use the Rapid Charger or Doc and leave it charge for at least 4 hrs. You can put the PB in StandBy... and that way you can swipe down top to bottom bezel to see the charge %.

Welcome to the forums!

Check out the Newbie Tips and Tricks for the Playbook, by clicking below my signature..
    It was compiled by the knowledgeable posters from this forum.

Enjoy!
    01-20-12 07:41 PM
    Let me clear it up, the playbook charges fine using approved methods. There's nothing wrong with it at this time. What I wanted to know if there is anybody on this board that has reverse engineered the oem chargers. Much like mintyboost has done for the ipad and the iphone, that require a 2.8v and a 2.0v signal to be present on the data lines. Any engineering types want to chime in?
    01-20-12 07:54 PM
    I believe RIM follows the USB Battery Charging Specification. You need to have enough current available however, the standard PlayBook charger is 1.8A. 500mA will charge most phones but it won't charge the PlayBook.
    01-21-12 12:16 AM
    I think RIM's usb chargers are pretty standard aside from the high current rating demanded by playbook (no mess around with data lines or so to sell "special" chargers). If I found any charger around will try to check its guts to see what's in there and share back.
    01-21-12 06:48 AM
    NOTE: The PB rapid charger (with the magnetic connector, as opposed to the USB connector) outputs 12 volts (as opposed to 5 volts).
    01-21-12 07:41 AM
    I've tried the htc 1A charger, kodak 1A charger, and a verizon 1A car charger. All work fine charging the playbook - lightning bolt sign.
    All of them read zero resistance between data pins, also between negative and shield/ground.
    The 18650 charger box is set up the same way also.
    I think the best thing to do is to abandon the idea of using the charger box to charge the playbook, find something else that works, and stay away from cheap chinese $hiet.
    Thanks for the input guys.
    01-21-12 11:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD