I had my playbook on the table over the night with around 30% battery left, and next morning when i'm tryed to start it again it just give me 5sec red light and then 3 green lights.

I've tryed to find an answer on google but the only thing i found was to put the usb cabel in and start desktop softw & push the power button for 10sec and then wait. But nothing happends.

I just have the USB cabel because i forgot to unbox it in the store and now i'm 2000 miles away from the nearest playbook retailer :/

Can someone help me!
    Thanks
    04-30-11 05:35 AM
    You will need to find a high output micro usb. The wall charger that comes with the PB is 5v 1.8a. I dont know what the usb cables put out but a torch wall charger for example is 700ma. Thats less than half the PB wall charger.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/pl...charge-610257/
    04-30-11 06:36 AM
    I also noticed that if I leave the power on the playbook when charging it's fine, but if you power the playbook off and charge it doesn't charge all the way? I woke up this morning and my wife powered it up and it said 60%? Must be a glitch in the software?
    notnomde likes this.
    04-30-11 07:07 AM
    I also noticed that if I leave the power on the playbook when charging it's fine, but if you power the playbook off and charge it doesn't charge all the way? I woke up this morning and my wife powered it up and it said 60%? Must be a glitch in the software?
    No, it does not charge AT ALL if the power is off. The device must be switched on (even if in sleep mode) to charge.
    04-30-11 07:21 AM
    PB will not charge when shut down. Maybe they want the OS to monitor charging.
    04-30-11 07:22 AM
    You will need to find a high output micro usb. The wall charger that comes with the PB is 5v 1.8a. I dont know what the usb cables put out but a torch wall charger for example is 700ma. Thats less than half the PB wall charger.

How do i find a high output micro usb then?

I just sent a email to the retailer (newark airport) and said that they have to send me my charger that they took out from the playbook box .. i can't use my playbook otherwise?

thanks alot for the help!
    04-30-11 11:19 AM

I just sent a email to the retailer (newark airport) and said that they have to send me my charger that they took out from the playbook box .. i can't use my playbook otherwise?

Borrow a bb charger. It'll get you by till your's arrives.
    04-30-11 11:30 AM

It will charge via USB plugged into a computer. It will just take a very LONG time.
    04-30-11 11:56 AM
    It will charge via USB plugged into a computer. It will just take a very LONG time.
    So I can use my USB cabel to charge it? i have tryed that for 1.5 day and it still gives me red and green light when i;m trying to start it.
    I have to call inmotionstore when im back from my paris trip. They never answer my emails.

Thanks!
    05-03-11 02:20 PM
    The Playbook charger is the same charger sold as "BlackBerry Premium Charger" for the phones. Find a Blackberry dealer in Paris and buy one there.

Here is the link for it in Canada.

BlackBerryPremiumCharger

Robert
    hampusbolve likes this.
    05-03-11 02:39 PM
    Here is some information on charging that may be useful

1) USB ports in general now are CAPABLE of putting out between 1.5-2A - most designs now tend to go to 2A. HOWEVER, just because they can do that does not mean that you will get 2A from the port when you plug in a device. When you plug in a device and you hear the "THE-DUNK" sound, the USB port has been told that there is a USB device and according to the specs, the PC sets the current to 0.5A or less

2) Now the only way to bypass this USB setting of 0.5A is to make sure that the device does not get seen by the PC (DATA LINES ONLY). There are many different charging methods used by wall chargers to start charge (shorting D+/D-, resistor dividers for Apple etc).

3) I did some experiments with the CSQUID cable that I got and what it does is quite unique. There is a switch that allows the high current charge in one mode and sync data/lower current in the other mode. So you can charge the higher current tablets / charge mobile phones faster AND do data on the same cable when needed.

Hope this was helpful
    05-03-11 06:05 PM
    OMG!! $38 for a charging cable!! They sure know how to milk money from users...include a low power cable with the device and MAKE users buy other cables...

NICE!!

Oh well I guess they are in it to make money also...SUPPLY/DEMAND and all...
    05-03-11 06:08 PM

So chaddface, now have i spent like 60 usd to call the US
    They will send me my wall charger today. But when i get it, i can just plug it in and it will start again? is that what you saying?

Thanks for everyting!
    05-05-11 09:18 AM
    My crystal ball is in the shop. Using the correct charger is your best first step. Assuming it's just a dead battery.KB26708-PlayBook - Low Battery

Also saw this
    Red light to 5 green(yellow?) blinking lights - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    Last edited by Chaddface; 05-05-11 at 09:45 AM. Reason: added links from google search
    05-05-11 09:34 AM
    I know it's an old thread, but I just had the same problem and managed to fix my PB. I tried many things that were suggested in many other threads.

In case anyone lands on this thread, what worked for me was:

Plug the PB in with the factory charging cable (red light comes on for a several seconds, then goes off). Wait about 10 more seconds. Unplug PB for about 30 seconds.

Repeat n times.

n == 6 for me. Finally my PB light switched to green, then began to oscillate, signalling charging. After a few more minutes my PB came back to life.
    jafobabe likes this.
    05-05-12 05:46 PM
    Yes, it's called Stack Charging..

Stack Charging:

"stack" charging, 6 cycles of charge no charge, for 2 minutes each, charging

for never more than 2 minutes.

Whem you get a green LED, put it on the PB wall charger until fully charged.
    05-05-12 08:34 PM
    No, it does not charge AT ALL if the power is off. The device must be switched on (even if in sleep mode) to charge.
    Why did they make such a crappy design? I'm frustrated. Trying some of the recipes. I've had my playbook less than a full year.

I bought it on my birthday in september.

Now, RIP.

It was getting harder and harder to charge.
    06-11-12 06:04 PM
    Why did they make such a crappy design? I'm frustrated. Trying some of the recipes. I've had my playbook less than a full year.

I bought it on my birthday in september.

Now, RIP.

It was getting harder and harder to charge.
    By September(when you bought your PB) RIM changed that.
    06-11-12 06:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD