I have searched and read a few threads on copying movies to my playbook and im still having trouble.

first i follow this thread for wifi sharing since i didn't have it on and didn't want to bother with the usb cable for the playbook and my external HD

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...00/index2.html

after completing that,i tried dragging/dropping a picture from my external to my playbook using the playbooks IP address and it worked.

then i tried a movie that i converted to .mp4 using handbrake over wifi (took forever)so i cancelled.connected the playbook via usb without using desktop manager and drag/drop the movie into the movie folder. the file copied,i went into the playbook to see if it was there and it wasn't,waited for a little and it never came.

After feeling maybe handbrake didn't convert right,i downloaded foxreal and the patch for the playbook,converted a movie with the playbook options(.mp4,h264) after converting connected playbook via usb without using desktop manager and movie fully copied but still nothing was shown on the playbook..tried a picture again via usb and it was sync'd to the PB,even tried music and it sync'd...i went into settings on the PB then "about" and i saw both the mp3 file and pic file was added,tried deleting the mp3 and pic and they both was deleted while in the "about" tab.so that told me it does work so something was wrong with my movie.

opened the desktop manager tried the music and picture and it still worked using drag/drop. so then i tried going into my blackberry 9700 video folder and drag/drop a video from the 9700 to the playbook and in the "about" tab on the PB it showed "1" video was added..went into the video tab on the PB and it was there and it played..so then i went back and tried copying the movied converted with foxreal thru the desktop manager and like before it copied but wouldn't show up on the playbook.

Sorry,i know its alot to read but im getting a little ticked about this..Had the playbook since the official release.
    So if anyone can help or tell me what im doing wrong would be great.
    12-29-11 11:00 AM
    Try rebooting the Playbook. Sometimes it takes a while for large files to show up. They are there, but the OS must do something with the file before it shows up, maybe trying to build a preview.
    12-29-11 11:06 AM
    I will give it a try.
    12-29-11 11:12 AM
    While I would suspect that it should show up, even if the format is bad, maybe the pb does some form of checking and will not even display the file. I just renamed a xxx.wav file to the video folder and changed it to xxx.mp4. It has not shown up (rebooting now to see if that changes anything). It does NOT show up. Some while the extension is a video extension, the pb is discriminating enough to check something. On the other hand, I just used File Browser to find that file. It shows up in the video folder and I asked it to open it. It did and it played the audio in the VIDEO app.

Ah, I just tried it in the free Air Browser and it also opened it. So you could try getting Air Browser, go to the folder and find the file and try opening it and see what happens.
    12-29-11 11:22 AM
    ^sounds good..i deleted the movie so its in the process of being converted so once its converted i will retry..in the meantime i will download air browser
    12-29-11 11:31 AM
    You are sure that it has a file extension whether xxx.AVI or xxx.MP4 or xxx.something.
    12-29-11 12:28 PM
    Downloaded air browser..saw that I still had the movie file on my external,so I copied it to the PB using usb..still didn't show up,then I opened Air browser and looked in the video files and it was there..asked to opened it and it said that the file extension wasn't right.

F2,I'm sure it has a file extension of .mp4.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    12-29-11 12:43 PM
    I went through quite a bit of frustration learning how to download movies. I'm not tech savvy and kept getting instructions/help that I couldn't comprehend. This is the solution I found and it works extremely well: I rip movies from CD's using magicdvdripper (they have a trial version of 5 rips). I use the "Apple TV" profile (although others work just as well.). I also created a file that they rip to on my desktop. After that, it's a simple process of hooking my Playbook up via USB and dragging the videos into the video file on my Playbook that is found in (Windows 7) Computer/Network Location. I use this process for music and photos too and stay away from Desktop Manager. Good luck!
    12-29-11 02:05 PM
    Downloaded air browser..saw that I still had the movie file on my external,so I copied it to the PB using usb..still didn't show up,then I opened Air browser and looked in the video files and it was there..asked to opened it and it said that the file extension wasn't right.

F2,I'm sure it has a file extension of .mp4.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    It sounds as if something is not converting correctly. Like I said, I even fooled Air Browser into opening a xxx.wav file by changing its name/ext to xxx.mp4 - only played music but it was opened in the video app. (but thanks for spurring me - the wav file I grabbed and renamed was a home made RECORD of my mother singing in the early 1940's. Well, it was a recording I captured of that pre-vinyl record)
    12-29-11 04:04 PM
    I was pretty clueless about the PB's video capabilities but I had a good guess that my mp4s would play fine, and they do.

I did put an avi and an mkv file on there to see what would happen, but neither of them would even show up in the video app although they were there, so I remembered to delete them.
    12-29-11 04:08 PM
    I was pretty clueless about the PB's video capabilities but I had a good guess that my mp4s would play fine, and they do.

I did put an avi and an mkv file on there to see what would happen, but neither of them would even show up in the video app although they were there, so I remembered to delete them.
    All my avi files play fine on my playbook
    12-29-11 04:22 PM
    Hmmm something wrong with the one I tried.
    12-29-11 04:25 PM
    Thanks to everyone that posted in this thread

Hey Jamesharmeling,I downloaded the Magicdvdripper and it worked just fine..it showed up in the video tab on the PB and in air browser..Thanks alot guys..

Now will the magicdvdripper rip/convert blueray as well?
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    12-29-11 04:45 PM
    Thanks to everyone that posted in this thread

Hey Jamesharmeling,I downloaded the Magicdvdripper and it worked just fine..it showed up in the video tab on the PB and in air browser..Thanks alot guys..

Now will the magicdvdripper rip/convert blueray as well?
    Glad to be of help! I spent A LOT of time trying out different rippers and this was by far the easiest. As far as I know it will not convert blueray. Email the developer and ask about it or any other questions you might have. Those guys are really great. They created a new program to rip movies specifically for my son's Blackberry within 24 hours of me simply asking which one will work best for it.
    12-30-11 08:01 AM
    File extensions are important on PB. They are also case-sensitive. So .MP4 will not work, whereas .mp4 will work. Also, it will not be able to parse video files with audio extensions, etc. And of course, if the codecs used are not supported, then it will not be able to parse the file at all.
    You should be able to see the files in the Browser by punching in file: and browsing to /accounts/1000/media and checking that they are named correctly, and that windows (for example) hasn't hidden an extension on you -- eg, a file may be named test.mp4.wav.
    12-30-11 01:02 PM
    Also, be advised that just because a file in on the pb, does not mean it will show up in some of the File Manager apps. When I was first loading videos and trying out MovieSRTPlayer, some video files were "missing" from the various filemanager apps and from MovieSRT.... They were on my pb but they did not show up.

The programmer for MovieSRTPlayer, altered his "indexing" method and "uncovered" the missing files. And from what we learned or did not learn, it was not based on file size, file name or extension. For some reason the pb would not recognize their presence. I don't know if the Browser's File:/// method would have worked or works to "uncover" or display these oddball files. Recopying the files without changing anything generally fixed the issues!!!!
    12-30-11 03:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD