If I have a cell plan for my 9900 and I then bridge to a Playbook, can I access 3G/4G using my same cell plan with no extra charges? Or can I only use wifi on Playbook, meaning if I'm driving in my car I cannot go online?
    10-06-11 06:16 PM
    You use the bridge to access your phone's data plan. It is free, free, free! Unless your provider is ATT and then you download a cheat and then it is free, free, free!
    10-06-11 06:46 PM
    If I have a cell plan for my 9900 and I then bridge to a Playbook, can I access 3G/4G using my same cell plan with no extra charges? Or can I only use wifi on Playbook, meaning if I'm driving in my car I cannot go online?
    If your cell has a 3g or 4g signal you can use the bridge to access most everything with no tethering charge, i.e. free including in your car. This all assumes you have a Blackberry.
    10-06-11 06:56 PM
    I'm in my car right now typing this waiting to get done oil change, the magical experience of bridging..same cell plan, no extra fee!
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-06-11 07:14 PM
    Is Bridge and tether the same thing?
    10-06-11 07:37 PM
    wow that is weird, i'm sitting in my car getting an oil change reading this post, using BB Bridge of course. For a minute I thought i wrote that post without knowing it
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-06-11 07:45 PM
    wow that is weird, i'm sitting in my car getting an oil change reading this post, using BB Bridge of course. For a minute I thought i wrote that post without knowing it
    it's funny, i thought i post twice reading your post. what's going on?
    10-06-11 07:52 PM
    The only limitation is the speed of your bluetooth connection.
    10-06-11 07:59 PM
    lol

so cool that we can all do something more productive than thumbing through greasy dog earred sports illustrateds, involuntarily watching soaps, and eating stale donuts at Jiffy Lube! Yet another reason to love playbooks!
    10-06-11 10:05 PM
    it's funny, i thought i post twice reading your post. what's going on?
    parallel universe....
    10-06-11 10:07 PM
    kinda yeah you can tether without bridging if you want
    pelletizer likes this.
    10-07-11 03:01 AM
    "Tether" means sharing your phone's data connection somehow.

The BB Bridge is a lot more than tethering - the tablet has access to your phone's email, calendar, todos etc. You can attach files to emails from either device. It's a very nifty feature.
    pelletizer and Chrisy like this.
    10-07-11 03:35 AM
    kinda yeah you can tether without bridging if you want
    For French readers (I don't know about the rest of the world) there is somehow a HUDGE difference.

- If you tether, you have access to your phone 3G connexion BUT:
    . You'll probably pay for it (unless you already have an extra option in your plan, for those who use sometimes their BBphone as a "3G modem"
    . If exclusive (i.e bridge deactivated or locked) you do not have access to messages and agenda.

- If you bridge and have an unlimited web BBphone plan
    . You don't pay (your operator cannot make the difference between your PB and your phone)
    . You get your (secured) mails and agenda as fast as your phone on your PB

Kind of summary, especially for froggies : DO NOT tether, use bridge.

BTW my operator is SFR and I've been testing it for month or so & confirm there's no extra-charge.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-07-11 at 03:51 AM.
    10-07-11 03:48 AM
    No, is the short answer.

Bridging uses the BB data plan you’ve already paid for to connect to the internet. The network can’t tell if you are using the PB or the BB to surf the net (so they can’t levy additional charges!)

Tethering uses the BB as a tethered modem to connect to the internet and the network can see that you are using the BB/PB that way. Some networks charge extra for a tethering plan (though Vodafone UK don’t seem to) so you’ll actually be paying for your BB data plan (unused during tethering) and could also be incurring BB tethering plan charges.

So - Simple rule: ALWAYS use the bridge, NEVER use the tether.

I concur with my Froggie friend above!
    Last edited by JeepBB; 10-07-11 at 05:18 AM.
    pelletizer likes this.
    10-07-11 05:08 AM
    Hi I am thinking to get Playbook because of my work. It is boring and not much to do. I have blackberry bold 9650 from verizon and next month I will change to 9330. I have unlimited data plan so my question is if I will connect PB by blackberry bridge to my blackberry do verizon will charge me extra for that or it will be same? The reason I am asking is that I know verizon likes to do that kind of stuff. I just want to be safe and avoid extra charges. Thank for respond.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-11 03:24 PM
    See above... if network can't tell the difference, it can't charge extra!

I envy you your unlimited Data Plan... 500Mb/month for me.
    10-07-11 04:31 PM
    Hi I am thinking to get Playbook because of my work. It is boring and not much to do. I have blackberry bold 9650 from verizon and next month I will change to 9330. I have unlimited data plan so my question is if I will connect PB by blackberry bridge to my blackberry do verizon will charge me extra for that or it will be same? The reason I am asking is that I know verizon likes to do that kind of stuff. I just want to be safe and avoid extra charges. Thank for respond.

All anyone can say is that CURRENTLY Verizon does not charge if you use the Bridge function to link to your phone. You can use Bridge to send/receive email and for the Browser. Actually, now both browsers work via bridge if you do not have wifi.

As you may know, AT&T has closed off the Bridge (special version which can be skipped and get one that does work) for Browsing. Verizon could try doing the same thing. So far, so good.

edited to add: Bridge actually now also works on some 3rd party apps if wifi is off.
    10-07-11 05:28 PM
    Thanks for replay I will try to get PB this weekend from best buy but the problem is that in stores near my house is sold out ( have 10 stores near nyc) and its sold out so I found 2 stores in Pennsylvania that still have it in stock so I will try to go there this weekend. There is no wifi at my work so I will use bridge. I think verizon will not see difference in data usage after few times I use almost 5GB of data in month ( download lots of things). I keep you update about charges I may call verizon to see what they tell me about. Thanks again.

10-07-11 05:41 PM
    Thanks for replay I will try to get PB this weekend from best buy but the problem is that in stores near my house is sold out ( have 10 stores near nyc) and its sold out so I found 2 stores in Pennsylvania that still have it in stock so I will try to go there this weekend. There is no wifi at my work so I will use bridge. I think verizon will not see difference in data usage after few times I use almost 5GB of data in month ( download lots of things). I keep you update about charges I may call verizon to see what they tell me about. Thanks again.

I wouldn't bother calling verizon.
    10-07-11 06:31 PM
    I wouldn't bother calling verizon.
    Seriously. They might intentionally mess up your unlimited plan or something. Reps these days.
    10-07-11 06:54 PM
    Yes whatever you do - don't tip them off. I am canning AT&T because of their attempt to block bridge. Well I have unlimited data grandfathered in so I will wait until they discover I am using the bridge bypass version from rroyy...are people generally happy with Verizon?
    10-07-11 07:08 PM
    Yes whatever you do - don't tip them off. I am canning AT&T because of their attempt to block bridge. Well I have unlimited data grandfathered in so I will wait until they discover I am using the bridge bypass version from rroyy...are people generally happy with Verizon?
    I loved Verizon. I actually miss having Verizon. Only reason me and my dad switched to AT&T was because someone wanted me to get a 9800 (long story) and the plan was cheaper. Would I go back to Verizon though? Definitely

And the bridge with my mom's 9930 (she's still on Verizon) is better than on my 9800. It seems a little smoother.
    10-07-11 07:15 PM
    I have Verizon. Coverage is good. Bridge is free and clear. Glad the parties settled the strike action.
    10-07-11 07:18 PM
    Ok I won't call verizon. And yea I am happy with verizon good service. I am with them for 8 years and never had a drop call and I had ATT for a year and no more because of service and drop calls. Verizon plans maybe more expensive but I don't care because I have service in places that my friends don't. And to correct my mistake from before I will change to 9930 not 9330 and will stay with verizon .

Last edited by Gucio84pl; 10-07-11 at 07:24 PM.
    10-07-11 07:19 PM
    I'm pretty new with my PB and have a quick question about Bluetooth. I want to be sure not to be wasteful with battery life - if I understand correctly, having Bluetooth on consumes battery even if I'm not bridged. If I turn Bluetooth off on both phone and PB, will the bridge settings still exist and be waiting for me when I turn it on again? Sorry, dumb question, but I would rather ask first then find out the hard way that I have to leave it on... Thanks!
    10-08-11 05:55 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD