I was without home internet service for about a month. During that time, I made due with my PlayBook bridged to my 9850. While I'm out and about, browsing on the 9850 was fine, but when I was home, I /really/ wanted a larger screen. With the PlayBook, I got that larger screen. Bridging allowed me to have free access to my phone data (wifi tethering is an extra $20/month with my carrier) and get/read txts on my PlayBook when my phone was charging next to an outlet.

While it might be true that tablets are eventually going away, as Heins hypothesizes, it really is quite useful *today*. There's no alternative to getting a larger, portable display, like with the PlayBook. BlackBerry needs to produce a follow-up to the PlayBook, maybe just a very cheap extension tablet that doesn't have much other than a touchable surface and screen. If this could be done for $50-$100, it would a great differentiator and a nice complement device to BB10 devices.
    FF22, cmdr_dan, GHOSTRlDER and 4 others like this.
    08-03-13 03:43 PM
    With the PlayBook, I got that larger screen. Bridging allowed me to have free access to my phone data (wifi tethering is an extra $20/month with my carrier) and get/read txts on my PlayBook when my phone was charging next to an outlet.

There's no alternative to getting a larger, portable display, like with the PlayBook.
    Whatever you do, don't upgrade to a BB10 device, bcuz you'll lose that functionality... for no reason besides BB management's spite for PlayBook customers.

Unfortunately, the software and processing power needed to push pixels to the screen isn't insignificant... that said, it could probably be done for no more than $20... heck, if BlackBerry would release a Bridge client for Android or iOS, there are plenty of decent sub-$200 Android tablets out there that could work... but why not a 10" tablet?

Problem is, right now, it's the BB10 devices that lack the functionality: it's already been established (as you are using now) that the PlayBook can work as a "client" to the BBOS handheld "server", but at this point BlackBerry has shown absolutely no interest in developing a Bridge server for BB10. I mean, it's not like it's top secret, so if they were going to do it, why wouldn't they just say so?
    FF22, Carl Estes, reschp and 1 others like this.
    08-03-13 03:51 PM
    I was without home internet service for about a month. During that time, I made due with my PlayBook bridged to my 9850. While I'm out and about, browsing on the 9850 was fine, but when I was home, I /really/ wanted a larger screen. With the PlayBook, I got that larger screen. Bridging allowed me to have free access to my phone data (wifi tethering is an extra $20/month with my carrier) and get/read txts on my PlayBook when my phone was charging next to an outlet.

While it might be true that tablets are eventually going away, as Heins hypothesizes, it really is quite useful *today*. There's no alternative to getting a larger, portable display, like with the PlayBook. BlackBerry needs to produce a follow-up to the PlayBook, maybe just a very cheap extension tablet that doesn't have much other than a touchable surface and screen. If this could be done for $50-$100, it would a great differentiator and a nice complement device to BB10 devices.
    there is no better combo than 9850>playbook, imo...
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-03-13 03:52 PM

You are preaching to at least some of the choir! Well-said.
    Carl Estes and BioDave1955 like this.
    08-03-13 04:18 PM
    I use mine with my 9810, I want to upgrade to a Z10 but I don't have the money at the moment. But I gotta say that the no bridge situation for BB10 devices is a big let down. Once I upgrade phones what is going to happen to my PB, I'm pretty sure that I won't use it anymore.... Really sad cause I love the damn thing.
    08-05-13 08:07 AM
    No Bridge, no phone upgrade.
    Carl Estes, FF22 and SEAWARRIOR like this.
    08-05-13 11:26 AM
    No Bridge, no phone upgrade.
    Ditto. Once my Playbook goes, there's no reason I can think of to stick with Blackberry.
    Carl Estes and FF22 like this.
    08-05-13 01:41 PM
    Ditto. Once my Playbook goes, there's no reason I can think of to stick with Blackberry.
    or your OS 7 device......
    C
    08-05-13 02:22 PM
    Same here... once my 9930 dies I'll probably move on. I use the bridge function all the time. Pretty sad and pissed off.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-05-13 02:35 PM
    I too am PB and 9850. Love it and won't upgrade bc of the bb10 lack of bridge functionality. Of course po'd also on the PB boot by BB. You guys are right it is a fabulous combo. I have not seen a better combo although maybe there is one out there. Anybody know of one? I'm sticking with my 7 Torch I guess until they prey my cold dead hands from it.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-05-13 08:38 PM