Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Alphabase
  • 1 Post By reinf0rce
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Playbook + Boxee Box = Awesome

So I have a Playbook and one of the cool things about them is that you can set up your home computer to access the Playbook via wireless even when the Playbook is in standby. I often copy music I want to listen to over to the Playbook from my computer by dragging and dropping while it sits somewhere in the house. Great.

Tonight I'm browsing my Boxee Box (which is a great media streamer BTW) and I notice for the first time my Playbook showing up on SMB shares. Cool! I think, and try to access it. Sure enough, even though it's sitting in the kitchen by itself in standby mode, I can browse all the media I have on it! I was looking at pics and streaming videos I have on the Playbook on my big flat screen. Sweet! No cables required
    Last edited by Alphabase; 01-15-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    Thanked by 6:
    bbfan1040 (01-16-2012),  blue-b (01-16-2012),  gladiatorofyale (01-17-2012),  Qaxl (02-11-2013),  rfig (01-24-2012),  Weeber (01-19-2012) 
    rfig and rfig like this.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Alphabase View Post
    So I have a Playbook and one of the cool things about them is that you can set up your home computer to access the Playbook via wireless even when the Playbook is in standby.
    Wait...I can do that? I had no idea, thanks!

I really should go read the manual or something...
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Yeah, being able to wirelessly access the pb even while in standby is pretty cool. I'm not sure any other tablet can do this. I'd like to be able to stream vids from my pb to xbox like I can from my laptop. THAT would be cool.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

Oh that makes me want to go with the boxes route for sure!

I was thinking of getting a mac mini and putting boxee on it to turn it in to a HTPC but this feature just sweetens the deal!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I imagine this would work with any other SMB compatible media streamer. Not sure if the Xbox supports that for example.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM me

Now if I could only wirelessly stream from the PlayBook to the Boxee.
    follow my switch from iOS to BlackBerry: http://canadianthomas.wordpress.com/
    CrackBerry User

WOW! That's so awesome, I never even thought of that!

I was fiddling with a cable and that little HDMI adapter that is finiky and cuts out of you move the playbook too much.

Now I can watch all my Playbook shows wirelessly through the Boxee Box (and control it with one of the Boxee remote apps! )

Thanks for the awesome tip!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Streaming Wireless to Playbook from Boxee

I was wondering if you can supply the information on how you set up and connect to Boxee to streaming directly to the Playbook. I dont want to streaming to the playBook via the Internet. Most of the replies is from Playbook to the Box to the TV and I wanted the other way round.

I have loads of media which i boughtover the years and i am planning to rip them and stroed on hard drives. so the idea is to stream the films to the Playbook which means i can pick and select what i want control Boxee from the Playbook and watch movie from anywhere in my home. the kitchen stream recipes, music movies etc.
    gratefully if you can list what you did to achieve the streaming. does it have hiccups?
    anyone reading this who done this apprecaite your input too.
    Thanked by:
    rkennedy01 (01-24-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

it works on my asus oplay as well
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,644 Global Posts

I have an older laptop I leave connected to my TV. I downloaded the windows version, and it works great!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Wow, it works great. All I had to do was turn on file sharing and wi-fi sharing and I'm watching an episode of Dexter on my 50" screen over wi-fi, without the hassle of a flimsy HDMI connection. I have fast-forwarded and rewinded it and it plays without hiccups.
    Many thanks to the OP for pointing this nice feature out. BTW, I agree with you that the Boxee Box is an awesome media streamer. I still haven't found a file it wouldn't play.
    Thanks!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Just took it one step further. While streaming media to my tv through Boxee Box, I recorded a video with the playbook, and there were no hiccups, it played flawlessly. I then played the recorded video and it was fine too.
    Great combo. Too sad I just ordered a second micro HDMI cable from Monoprice.com, although I guess I could still use it when I am not home and don't have my Boxee Box with me.
    CrackBerry Addict

So ... forgive my stupidity ... but I'm not overly familiar with the Boxee Box. Are you saying that it can turn the Playbook into a PVR of sorts?

Can the Boxee Box be programmed? Can it be used in Canada?
    Posted using my 32 gig Playbook - and 9 times out of 10, my new BB OEM mini keyboard
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by hpjrt View Post
    So ... forgive my stupidity ... but I'm not overly familiar with the Boxee Box. Are you saying that it can turn the Playbook into a PVR of sorts?

Can the Boxee Box be programmed? Can it be used in Canada?
    No PVR function, only playback. Through the Boxee Box you can access media stored in the Playbook and play it on the TV that's connected to the Boxee Box. That saves you from having to connect the Playbook to your TV set using the HDMI cable. The downside is that Boxee Box is only a media streamer, so all you can access with it is media (movies, pics, music). If you need to do something else with the Playbook on a big screen, then you need the cable.
    CrackBerry User

Don't forget the Boxee Box remote app available the play book!

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    CrackBerry User

Simply turn on wifi sharing, and you can access it from a windows machine. pretty neat :-)