CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,026 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Playbook becomes glitchy when connected through HDMI

So this isn't the first time this has happen and I've had 3 replacements because of this and the problem didn't go away. At this point I'm thinking it wasn't the Playbook that's fault but the software. Every time I connect my Playbook to my new 80" or 42" TV, the browser starts to become expremely glitchy. I've also tried using different HDMI cables to to see if the problem was there but unfortunately it's not. I'm not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this as I have searched around in the forums but have found nothing regarding this specific issue.

So the problem happens mainly with in the browser and sometime other apps but what happens in the browser is when I'm scrolling through the web page, it does some random things like zoom in and out, go to my bookmarks, history, ect. without telling it to do these things. But as soon as I unplug it it's all back to normal. So I'm wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this since OS 1.0 because for me it's been that long and I bought my Playbook on launch day and I've been dealing with this since. Im sure RIM is still not aware of this issue because if they were this problem wouldve been fixed before 2.0 has dropped. I'm hoping I'm not the only one because that would make no sense when the issue has to do with software and not the hardware. Thanks for everyone's input in advance.
    CrackBerry Genius

I have seen a few times people complain of this behavior when the PB is close to the TV. Plasma and LCD. My PB will get wacky near my chargers but not the TV. I think it has something to do with the power converters in the TV's. Just speculation.
    Will it behave that way if your near the TV but not plugged in via HDMI?
    Try moving as far away from the the TV as the cord will allow. Another thought would be to turn off the audio return in your TV settings if it's supported.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts
    PIN
    5011QNX6

It's now PB problem, it's static electricity that causes touch-screen(apps) to act weird.

Does you hdmi cable have one of those ferrite cores (I think that's what they are) - kind of a short sausage wrapped around the wire. Some do and some don't. I think from monoprice.com, they cost a tad bit more.

How long is your cable?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

As someone mentioned it's static electricity.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,026 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddface View Post
    I have seen a few times people complain of this behavior when the PB is close to the TV. Plasma and LCD. My PB will get wacky near my chargers but not the TV. I think it has something to do with the power converters in the TV's. Just speculation.
    Will it behave that way if your near the TV but not plugged in via HDMI?
    Try moving as far away from the the TV as the cord will allow. Another thought would be to turn off the audio return in your TV settings if it's supported.
    It's totally fine when I'm not connected to hdmi even if im right infront of the TV literally. Doesn't happen any other time except when I'm connected. I spoke to RIMs tech support about this and they didn't know what to do about it so they were guess it was a faulty unit so they just replaced it. After 3 replacement (last replacement was 2 months ago) I don't think it was a hardware issue. And If it was static, it would react the same way when I'm infront of the TV or my PC screen as well. It's really odd and annoying to say the least.

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by luqman24 View Post
    And If it was static, it would react the same way when I'm infront of the TV or my PC screen as well. It's really odd and annoying to say the least.
    It's not the same as having it plugged in.

There's a bunch of phone devices that have erratic touchscreen behavior only when plugged in to their wall chargers...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,026 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    It's not the same as having it plugged in.

There's a bunch of phone devices that have erratic touchscreen behavior only when plugged in to their wall chargers...
    Hmm this could be the problem because it was also connected to the wall charger when this happened again last night. I'm gonna further evaluate and see if the wall charger was causing the problem.
    CrackBerry Master

Check whether your TV is correctly earthed. Also, if your PB is plugged in to the charger, make sure it's on the same outlet as your TV.
    ORBIT for BB10 - The World In Your Pocket - World, Time, Weather in spectacular 3D. Demo on our site!

Files & Folders
    for PlayBook and BB10: a powerful unified file, folder & cloud manager and media streamer with integrated SkyDrive, Google Docs, Google Drive, SugarSync, Dropbox, Box, thumbnails and more - Free 3-day trial! - Voted Best New BlackBerry App
    CrackBerry Genius

I don't know what the problem is but you should look at environmental conditions and possibly the TV's. The easiest test would be to try it a friends house. I'm sure it's not a software issue and likely not a PB issue after your 3rd replacement.
    It could be house wiring or an appliance in the house causing issue with the wiring. You could try isolating the TV from any other components and just have the PB connected.
    Google hdmi sparks. There is more to it then I understand.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

Default Same problem with VGA adaptor

I have a VGA adaptor so I can use the playbook in a classroom with an overhead projector designed for laptops. What works flawlessly at home (documents sent to the playbook with Print to Go) becomes almost impossible to use when I connect to the overhead projector.

The whole thing is in the middle of the room. I doubt it is static causing this. Maybe the adaptor is wrong? Maybe it is unable to keep up?

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Does the Droid Incredible Suffer from A Potential Grounding Flaw Causing Touchscreen Issues?

Read the first comment. The problem doesn't have to actually be coming from a nearby electrical device to cause a problem.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts
    PIN
    5011QNX6

Here is the deal - due to grounding issues (although the el. wiring in my house is 99% problem free) any touchscreen device when connected to el source or any cable (charger, hdmi, usb to pc) act weird.

To check whether you cable connected to anything suffers from this, buy one of these (I have no idea what's its proper English name).
    CrackBerry Abuser

When I charge my playbook using my bold's 700mA output wall charger, it happens to me too. You can know it happens by trying to repeatedly type the same word in anywhere, e.g. Typing hhhhhhhhhhhh but it will come out hhhyhhhbyhhhhhyh. The touch screen totally goes haywire.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Sir Glaurung the Great

Default Happens when on AC charger.....

I have only seen "erratic" behavior when I'm using said Playbook when it's plugged in the the PB AC charger. Just touch the screen and hold position, and you willsee some jumping around, acctually apps open.

when connected to 52" Tv, PB is solid and stable, UNTIL one plugs in the AC charger cord. That when the issue raises it's ugly head.

I have cleared up maybe 90 percent of this effect when Iplug in my PB charger in my Surge Protector which is supplying ALL AC to TV, Steroeo, Modem/Router etc.

Hope this helps.

C
    CrackBerry Genius

I use my PB a lot with the hdmi cable. In the living room, I use it to play vevo videos over my 42" Panasonic hdtv. No issues when the PB is sitting right beside the tv. In the family room, I used it last night to watch an episode of "Missing" from the CTV website. Again, it sits right beside the tv, no issues - the episode played right thru with great video & audio quality and no jittering or pausing. Doesn't seem to matter if the PB is plugged into AC.

FYI: all my electronic devices are plugged into power bars and usually the PB is on the same one as the tv if I have the PB plugged in. Not cuz I'm smart tho, only cuz its handy.
    Patrick from Calgary
    ------------------------------
    Z10 STL100-3, OS version 10.2.1.2141
    PB 64 GB, OS version 2.1.0.1526
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,026 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Maybe it's because the ground pin on my power surge broke so ill buy a new one when I get a chance and see if that fixes the problem and hopefully it does.
    Welcome back Jets!

GO JETS GO!!!
    CrackBerry Genius

Did you have any improvement using just hdmi and not the charger?
    You should definitely replace that surge protector in the interest of safety. If you have a malfunction with a device plugged into it and design for a ground it can become dangerous.
    You want to be around to watch the Jets lose.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Did anybody get a solution for this? My playbook touchscreen decides to be me when I connect it to my new samsung LED HDTV. Apps open, everything jumps around and watchers get to see what I dont want them to see on my tablet.

I have tried connecting charger (and to the same power socket), without charger and what not. Nothing seems to help. I am 10 days in the 30 day return policy for the TV so any help would be appreciated.