"The PlayBook beats both the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet in terms of specifications and has an enjoyable user interface powered by the QNX-based operating system. You can use the Kobo application for reading ebooks and get access to Kindle books through the cloud viewer. While the number of applications for the PlayBook may be lacking, the web browser is extremely powerful and lets you do just about everything you want through a near desktop class browser."

Go here for full story, Playbook rules!

RIM BlackBerry PlayBook is a compelling choice at $199 | ZDNet

Michaelaw
    12-15-11 08:04 PM
    I helped a friend set up their kindle fire today. It is a nice lower range tablet but it isn't in the same class as my playbook. It is a great deal though at the price point...as is the current sale price point of the playbook.
    esqlaw likes this.
    12-15-11 08:07 PM
    1. What's the point of dredging up an article dated November 23rd?

2. Where can you find a PB at $199 today?
    esqlaw and Moonbase0ne like this.
    12-15-11 08:35 PM
    Sorry to hear about your friend, he/she must be as dumb as a fence post to buy a Kindle Fire, it's a piece of junk conceived by Jeff Bozo
    wow i cant believe the mods let this kind of immature acts go on but i get 2 infractions for trying to trade my playbook for a ipad.what a world
    12-15-11 08:41 PM
    fence poast Sorry to hear about your friend, he/she must be as dumb as a fence post to buy a Kindle Fire, it's a piece of junk conceived by Jeff Bozo
    /without comment
    12-15-11 09:02 PM
    Sorry to hear about your friend, he/she must be as dumb as a fence post to buy a Kindle Fire, it's a piece of junk conceived by Jeff Bozo
    Yeah I also got an infraction for standing up for Best Buy in a thread where they and their employees were being insulted repeatedly. So the Playbook buyers are "smart" for buying a tablet that is still waiting on basic functionality NINE MONTHS after launch? Lets not even get into how sad it is that the Playbook has to compete at 40% its original price against e-readers to generate any kind of enthusiasm.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    esqlaw likes this.
    12-15-11 09:46 PM
    Yeah I also got an infraction for standing up for Best Buy in a thread where they and their employees were being insulted repeatedly. So the Playbook buyers are "smart" for buying a tablet that is still waiting on basic functionality NINE MONTHS after launch? Lets not even get into how sad it is that the Playbook has to compete at 40% its original price against e-readers to generate any kind of enthusiasm.

you know the playbook owns your silly kindle, right? Not even in the same league, troll.
    Lhendr likes this.
    12-16-11 03:30 AM
    you know the playbook owns your silly kindle, right? Not even in the same league, troll.
    In what way does the Playbook "own" the Kindle Fire, for curiosity's sake?
    12-16-11 03:34 AM
    In what way does the Playbook "own" the Kindle Fire, for curiosity's sake?
    Based upon my research, the Kindle fire has a better app library. After that, the playbook is better in all other areas.
    12-16-11 05:12 AM
    That seems very unlikely. The kindle fire is aimed at a different market with a huge supporting eco system backed by a company that isn't failing. It was a huge success coming out of the gate. The Playbook is pretty much the complete opposite of that. Better in what way? Hardware specs? And how does that help when the amount of software to actually running it is severely limited?

That being said, im glad a tablet that was meant to compete at ipad level finally got a good review over some budget ebook readers.
    Just download a camera app and start taking some pictures with it. Based upon my research I have seen no software limitations.
    12-16-11 05:55 AM
    I have owned both, you have it backwards.

12-16-11 07:01 AM
    Why does one have to be better than the other? Can't they peacefully coexist? I have a PlayBook that I love (and an iPad too!) BUT I bought my dad a Fire because it better suited his needs!
    12-16-11 07:46 AM
    I have owned both, you have it backwards.

Now boys, play nice, no bickering about who's is bigger!
    12-16-11 08:00 AM
    Why does one have to be better than the other? Can't they peacefully coexist? I have a PlayBook that I love (and an iPad too!) BUT I bought my dad a Fire because it better suited his needs!
    Huh. And here I thought everyone knew that if you aren't #1 you're nothing.

Isn't true in my world. If someone needs an ecosystem then get anything but the playbook right now unless you can wait and love the OS and other things it offers. I can do many things the others need an ecosystem to do with only the browser just like on my PC.

Yes I know I am wrong in many eyes.
    alnamvet68 and esqlaw like this.
    12-16-11 08:00 AM

and according to the news this morn it may be alotlonger for the saving grace os,cbc news stated it may not be released till late 2012 now
    12-16-11 08:25 AM
    I'm not a tablet person, but my in-laws are getting me a Kindle Fire. I'm excited to try one out and play around with it. It at least will come in handy for traveling. I enjoyed Amazon music and you can't beat them for discounted prices on books and movies. My husband likes Amazon more than me, though.

I'm a fan of Apple's eco-system and if I had my choice, I'd have an iPad, but I wouldn't pay $500 for it or ask anyone else to spend that much money on a tablet.
    12-16-11 09:07 AM
    I'm not a tablet person, but my in-laws are getting me a Kindle Fire. I'm excited to try one out and play around with it. It at least will come in handy for traveling. I enjoyed Amazon music and you can't beat them for discounted prices on books and movies. My husband likes Amazon more than me, though.

I'm a fan of Apple's eco-system and if I had my choice, I'd have an iPad, but I wouldn't pay $500 for it or ask anyone else to spend that much money on a tablet.
    I think you guys will LOVE the Kindle, and you may want to consider the Prime membership also which is like 80 per year. It gets you free 2 day shipping on all Amazon purchaces, plus free access to many (but not all) Amazon Movie Streaming, and 1 free book rental per month. And of course you can buy as many book, magazines and movies as you want, PLUS it's a full fledged tablet with a modified, VERY easy (read NON tablet person) modified android OS. In other words you get the web and apps too.
    Lead_Express likes this.
    12-16-11 09:40 AM
    I think you guys will LOVE the Kindle, and you may want to consider the Prime membership also which is like 80 per year. It gets you free 2 day shipping on all Amazon purchaces, plus free access to many (but not all) Amazon Movie Streaming, and 1 free book rental per month. And of course you can buy as many book, magazines and movies as you want, PLUS it's a full fledged tablet with a modified, VERY easy (read NON tablet person) modified android OS. In other words you get the web and apps too.
    Thanks PK. We are looking forward to them. My husband already has a Kindle Keyboard he loves, but he showed a lot of interest in the Fire. I didn't ask for a Kindle, but obviously won't turn one down. I was thinking about the Amazon Prime, I do a lot of shopping on Amazon, especially for Christmas and birthdays. Can you purchase movies like you can with iTunes? Or is Amazon only streaming?

Hearing that it's an Android OS makes me a little nervous. I've never tried an Android phone and never really want to, though if it's easy to use for a non-tablet person like myself, I'm sure I can figure it out. I'm not dumby and can be pretty tech saavy when I apply myself.
    12-16-11 10:40 AM
    Hmm, I too do a lot of shopping on Amazon. While not interested in the Kindle Fire as I don't care for a tablet, I never looked into their Prime service. But then again, I didn't know about the Free(though limited I guess?) movie selections. Which would also be great seeing as I Got rid of cable.

War Is All We Know
    12-16-11 11:26 AM
    KF@199 is great for the kindle readers as a kindle plus but the PB cant be compared. The browser, ui and cameras put it in a whole different class of tablet. Great for media content but thats not for me. My co-worker upgraded to io5 on his ipad 1 and wishes he didn't because of browser crashes and of course lack of flash was no help. PB all the way...
    12-16-11 11:26 AM
    Also, aren't the Kindle Fire and Nook both devices that were originally released with a MSRP of $199?

I would hope a $499 tablet would have the edge over one that's $199, an primarily an e-book reader at that.

This is like comparing a Mustang to a Corvette Zr1 after the price of the Corvette was fire saled to match the price of the Mustang.

Assuming the Mustang isn't the Shelby Edition of course...

War Is All We Know
    genesimmons likes this.
    12-16-11 11:33 AM
    Also, aren't the Kindle Fire and Nook both devices that were originally released with a MSRP of $199?

I would hope a $499 tablet would have the edge over one that's $199, an primarily an e-book reader at that.

This is like comparing a Mustang to a Corvette Zr1 after the price of the Corvette was fire saled to match the price of the Mustang.

War Is All We Know
    Yes they were and they are selling them at a loss hoping they will make up for it by you buying everything from them.
    12-16-11 11:40 AM
    "The PlayBook beats both the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet in terms of specifications and has an enjoyable user interface powered by the QNX-based operating system. You can use the Kobo application for reading ebooks and get access to Kindle books through the cloud viewer. While the number of applications for the PlayBook may be lacking, the web browser is extremely powerful and lets you do just about everything you want through a near desktop class browser."

Go here for full story, Playbook rules!

RIM BlackBerry PlayBook is a compelling choice at $199 | ZDNet

Michaelaw
    But when you walk into Best Buy, like I did last night, you will see the glaring $499 for the 16gb PB vs Nooks and Kindles for much less.
    No one was looking at the PB and it was working and updated. (shocked)

Tim
    12-16-11 11:40 AM

War Is All We Know
    Exactly!
    12-16-11 11:41 AM
    Yes they were and they are selling them at a loss hoping they will make up for it by you buying everything from them.
    Sure they are. Many companies have done it before. For some it has actually payed off. I believe Microsoft did it with the first XBOX.

But again, that wasnt the question.

War Is All We Know
    Last edited by Moonbaseone; 12-16-11 at 11:45 AM.
    12-16-11 11:43 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD